Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
tech740

Curt X5

Just picked up a new to me truck two days ago to tow our 5er. It's a 2010 ram 2500 diesel. It is a short box with the factory goose neck. Here's where it gets interesting. With the gooseneck I don't think I can add rails nd brakets without them interfering. I can't afford a companion hitch. I found the curt X5 adapter and that will allow me to use my Reese 16K hitch and sidewinder. Is anyone else using this combo or at least the X5. Looking for feedback. I think I will have 48 inches from the front of the bed to the pivot point. Does this seem like enough clearance.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
rnkburg

As far as clearance I can't tell you. But I am running the curt x5 along with a b and w patriot hitch. The setup works great for me and makes a nice clean bed when it's all out. The x5 is heavy. About 125lbs I think. I can lift it in and out but it is bulky to move around. The hitch sits in nicely. I did have an old rubber Bedliner out of another truck that I had to out under one side of the rails to keep it from rocking and making a popping noise. It comes with some little pads but they weren't enough for my purpose. All and all. I love the setup. Very easy to install it all and it tows nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
tech740

That's good to hear. I have a spray in liner and it sounds like I may have to scrape/grind some off to achieve a good fit. I had never seen one of these so I was just curiouse how they worked.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 04-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
rnkburg

Remember there are two versions. One for the b and w goosneck and one for the round style goosneck. Make sure you order the right one. You may not have to scrape the Bedliner material you can slide it in and see. As long as the goosneck pin locks your good to go

Old 04-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
tech740

Is yours a short bed dodge. String to wonder if the gooseneck being ahead of the axel is going to work. With a X5 seems my king pin would be where the gooseneck ball is when I am hitched and traveling. Seems like a lot of bed under the 5er still.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Fit4Infinity

A power house dealer in the local area suggested we install an Anderson 'Amazing hitch'. He said thats all he ever installs. The 5'er attaches to a pyramid that attaches to your goose.

I have no personal experience but it seems like something that might match you setup. My bud from the columbia basin is using this setup to hook-up his 28 footer to his goose neck flat bed. He mainly uses his' farm truck' to pull horse tailers.

In 'truth is adverizing' we choose a Reese 16K slider for out 5er.
Fit4Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
rnkburg

I know someone who pulled a 40 ft toy hauler with a Anderson hitch. He said it did amazing. I went with the x5 because I bought the patriot for my 3/4 ton that already had rails in it. Then I bought a dually with the b and w gooseneck already installed. Already had the fifth wheel hitch and it was more economical to purchase the x5. I haven't looked back at all. Love the setup