Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #41
BlueThunder34

Nice truck and trailer!! Congrats!

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Since you're going to put it into a towing environment, and don't really know what all it has done in the past, I would drain the diff and put in a magnetic plug if it doesn't have one (so you can monitor what's happening back there). Then change engine oil and filter (drain into a new steel pan and look at what's in the oil - unless the seller changed-add a magnetic plug to the oil pan as well), new plugs, new fuel filter(s), and air filter.

I think for sure I would have the tranny drained and refilled - they can do that quickly and fairly inexpensively any more. Brakes are critical for towing; at the least pull the wheels and check the pads/rotors, shoes/drums (probably need to look at the brake cylinders as well - they have a tendency to start leaking after a few years). If it were me I would just replace them all to be on the safe side. Along the lines of braking I would drain the brake fluid and refill with new. Many times overlooked but it makes a world of difference if the brake fluid is shot....and it does "wear" out. Next I would drain the coolant and replace (excellent time to see what the radiator looks like inside). Depending on what package the truck had when it was built this might be a good time to just slap on an aftermarket tranny cooler. At the same time I would replace the thermostat and radiator hoses (hoses are a weak link on an old vehicle - don't ask me how I know). Inspect your U and/or CV joints for wear/play/damage. Shocks, ball joints, drag link etc. etc. etc.

Just lots of things to play with on your new truck. It used to be a lot of fun for me but I can't get around under one like I used to. Congrats on the new rig and hope you have a blast.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #43
CWSWine

Little late for a comment but my neighbor has F150 Max Tow and Max Payload and it rides is terrible. We both agree that rides lot worse then my F350 to the point that if you hit big bump it bounces and rattles the truck. Ford just tried to up the payload on truck that to light making to stiff for decent ride. Just the Max Tow rides lot better than my F350 but adding the Max Payload hurts the ride.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #44
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Since you're going to put it into a towing environment, and don't really know what all it has done in the past, I would drain the diff and put in a magnetic plug if it doesn't have one (so you can monitor what's happening back there). Then change engine oil and filter (drain into a new steel pan and look at what's in the oil - unless the seller changed-add a magnetic plug to the oil pan as well), new plugs, new fuel filter(s), and air filter.

I think for sure I would have the tranny drained and refilled - they can do that quickly and fairly inexpensively any more. Brakes are critical for towing; at the least pull the wheels and check the pads/rotors, shoes/drums (probably need to look at the brake cylinders as well - they have a tendency to start leaking after a few years). If it were me I would just replace them all to be on the safe side. Along the lines of braking I would drain the brake fluid and refill with new. Many times overlooked but it makes a world of difference if the brake fluid is shot....and it does "wear" out. Next I would drain the coolant and replace (excellent time to see what the radiator looks like inside). Depending on what package the truck had when it was built this might be a good time to just slap on an aftermarket tranny cooler. At the same time I would replace the thermostat and radiator hoses (hoses are a weak link on an old vehicle - don't ask me how I know). Inspect your U and/or CV joints for wear/play/damage. Shocks, ball joints, drag link etc. etc. etc.

Just lots of things to play with on your new truck. It used to be a lot of fun for me but I can't get around under one like I used to. Congrats on the new rig and hope you have a blast.
Thanks for all the pointers. I can't do anything like that due to where I live, but I'll definitely have some of it taken care of ASAP and then the rest soon after.

I had a pre-purchase inspection done and things were generally good. The inspector did field tests of oil and transmission and said they were good. He did find a couple things. The dealer had to replace the differential pinion seal and one front bearing. I'll ask them if they fully drained the differential or not. I'll also ask about the other fluids, etc. I'll definitely have the brake fluid flushed.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #45
Tbos

Have fun and enjoy the truck and the trailer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

I don't recall where you are in CO, if I ever knew, but be sure you find out if they checked the brakes, who/how they checked them and what they found. Most places in CO you are going up or down so if you are going to depend on their check make them tell you exactly what they checked and what they found. Congrats on the new rig and hope you have tons of fun.

On a side note: You had birchyboy, your pit bull mix that appeared to live only 7 years? Was that from birth to death? I have a mix that I love dearly and she's going on 6 (she "found" me to rescue). I love her like I do my kids and worry about what happened to your pup every time I read your caption.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #47
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
On a side note: You had birchyboy, your pit bull mix that appeared to live only 7 years? Was that from birth to death? I have a mix that I love dearly and she's going on 6 (she "found" me to rescue). I love her like I do my kids and worry about what happened to your pup every time I read your caption.
Birch was 5 when I rescued him from a shelter in Maine. He was bonkers...his original name was Crackers. Whenever he was left alone, he would spin in a circle and bark until he was exhausted. Then he'd fall over and lick/suck on his hind leg.

He was with me through my divorce back in '05 and we moved to CO together. He went everywhere with me...everywhere. He's one of the reasons that my wife (that I met out here) fell for me because every time I showed up, Birch was in the back seat of my Acura with his head hanging out.

He was the best dog ever and will always be missed.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you. My Ginger is attached to me at the hip...she's my shadow, alarm clock, worrier, watch pup and in general "take care of dad" pup -with lots of kisses to make sure everything is OK! Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #49
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
My checkbook just gave birth to a 2005 Ford F-350 CC LB RWD with a 6.8L V10 engine and 5 speed auto. Who's good at making vroom vroom sounds?

I had been working with a local Ford dealer and then shifted gears. The salesman looked this vehicle up in OASIS and found that it had been serviced at the big Ford dealer in town for the majority of its life. I had a pre-purchase inspection done and a few things came up, including a rear pinion seal and front wheel bearing. The seller took care of them and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Here's the camper it'll be pulling:

Sweet times two.. Truck and camper.
Enjoy your new toys.. Truck looks great and I love the topper, miss mine with the 5er. BUT that's the trade off.
I glad to still you on here too. You contribute much to the forum.
Have fun,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #50
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Sweet times two.. Truck and camper.
Enjoy your new toys.. Truck looks great and I love the topper, miss mine with the 5er. BUT that's the trade off.
I glad to still you on here too. You contribute much to the forum.
Have fun,
randy
Thanks times two! This is among the best forums I belong to.

I'm conflicted on the topper. It's nice and will give lots of storage room. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a sliding system for storing stuff, or take it off and put a tonneau cover on. I prefer tonneau covers, but that would take away a lot of room.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

I use a bak flip folding hard cover on my truck. It's invaluable for protecting your gear and keeping it locked up. The topper might be just as versatile but I would wonder if it is going to limit access to the tailgate only. If so, you might have to crawl into the bed to get things out since the tailgate will not lower with the trailer hitched, if it's like mine. The bak flip folds up to the back of the cab and you can access stuff from the sides. A tonneau would probably do the same.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #52
slow

If you decide to keep the bed cap, tie a rope to each of your cargo boxes/totes that you then slide toward the cab of the truck in the bed, leaving the free end of the rope near the tail gate. Then there is no reason to have to crawl into the bed of the truck to retrieve anything. Just pull it back when required and give it a push forward to put it back in its place.

I do this with multiple totes designated for different contents. One for tools, while other totes are for extra hardware and repair supplies, life jackets / bike accessories / helmets and two for fire wood.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #53
Tbos

Quote:

I'm conflicted on the topper. It's nice and will give lots of storage room. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a sliding system for storing stuff, or take it off and put a tonneau cover on. I prefer tonneau covers, but that would take away a lot of room.
I'd be inclined to leave it on for a season and see how it goes. It does give you extra height in the bed for storage. The ropes on the totes is a good idea too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #54
sourdough
Site Team

Excellent point on the ropes! Flat didn't think about it. We use them all the time on totes/ice chests etc. in the bed of our truck so I don't have to flip the top open. You may really like the added height after you use it a while.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #55
BirchyBoy

Here's a pic of the new ride and camper. The previous owner had a fifth wheel hitch mounted in the bed but didn't leave the hitch. I'm going to reuse those holes to build a sliding platform for the bed. Now I just need to go to Ace and figure out the bolt size.

RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

SWEET looking rig !!! I'm sure you'll enjoy every aspect of towing, well, except for the frequent stops at gas stations <wink>

Enjoy modifying your truck bed. Let us know what (and how) you make it more useable....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #57
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
SWEET looking rig !!! I'm sure you'll enjoy every aspect of towing, well, except for the frequent stops at gas stations <wink>

Enjoy modifying your truck bed. Let us know what (and how) you make it more useable....
Thanks! Will do.

My plan is to keep outside chairs, tools, etc. in the truck. We'll see how well it goes.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

After packing your trailer with all the stuff that goes in it you should be able to put all kinds of stuff in your truck - especially with the topper.

We carry our lawn chairs, bbq grill, tables, ice chests, compressor, some tools, fishing gear, leveling blocks and anything else that comes to mind (I'm sure I'm missing some stuff). My last trip into a very remote area I carried the above along with 6 5 gallon jerry cans of gas and 5 ice chests loaded.

Good luck on getting things sorted....and have fun.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #59
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:

You will find its your best friend at times and other times its your worst enemy. When I got my new TV I did not option to get another topper. Everyone has a different level of what they can live with and without. I choose the without this time. Good luck on the new purchase!
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote