Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #41
kfxgreenie

The 6.4 Hemi will drastically increase your "rated" payload over the cummins, 750 LB's on a 2500 slt. The only thing with the 6.4 if your thinking 5th wheel, you will want the 4.10 rear end.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #42
CaptnJohn

I've owned and driven trucks since 1976. At times I've owned 2. Every one a 4X4. The worst ride was a 1/2 ton Jeep ~ it rusted out in 18 months too. The best ride came from Dodge/Ram and for actually hauling, pulling, working GM or Ford and Ford is just my preference. At times I owned a Ford and a Ram and my wife gave up on cars preferring an SUV long ago.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #43
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I can't help myself....

I've been driving pickups for nearly fifty years and I've never bought a single one because of how it rides. A pickup truck is a tool, you buy them to haul or pull. If you want a Cadillac ride, buy one.
Maybe that's why you didn't like your Chevy, you didn't get bounced around enough

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #44
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Maybe that's why you didn't like your Chevy, you didn't get bounced around enough [emoji14]
Nope, it rode like a truck should. The problem I had was with seat design, it just didn't have support where I needed it. Only truck I ever had that I didn't enjoy driving.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #45
AussieCanadian

Hi folks,

Back after digging the trailer out of snow, loading it, and taking it for a 60M/100KM tour at highway speeds. Short story - it went well! Very well.

Firstly - the 1500 is very capable and handles the load with ease (at least it felt so). Coming from my F150 which I had all kinds of handling issues with when towing, the RAM's coil suspension seems to provide a lot more lateral stability when towing. Impressive.

The weights... so, all hitched up, full tank of gas (I have the 32Gal / 121L option), family in the truck, WD hitch with trailer attached, my GVWR (with nothing in the bed, but some cargo in the truck cab) came in at 6,950lbs. Yep, just 50lbs over GVWR. I'm now thinking I could move stuff around in the trailer a little, and net the extra 50lbs gain, and be under. Actually, if you think about it - once I drive a bit, the Hemi will burn through 1/4 tank of gas, which is about 50lbs also. Heck, I could lose 50lbs from my own self and net that weight... there's an incentive!

All in all - it was a solid tow test. I think I may have saved myself $10k on a HD, at least for now. If we upgrade our TT (maybe to a 5er), i'll upgrade the truck then, but I think for now - it's happy camping

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post - it's been truely helpful
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #46
gtsum2

Good deal. Sounds like you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you've about got it ironed out. Just for grins I think I'd put air bags (I used Airlift) on the back springs to give you a little more stability when you hit some heavy cross winds. The coils on the 1500 will want to do a little side to side in a heavy cross wind and the air bags seemed to help - at least on mine they did. Only about $100 and they were well worth it to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #48
bsmith0404

Just take the spare tire off the truck and keep your fingers crossed that you don't get a flat..jk.

Sounds like you have some comfortable numbers that you can work with for now. You have learned a bit and know what you need to do in the future when you upgrade to a bigger RV (notice I said when not if).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #49
mfifield01

For reference, I tow a 2810bh with a 2013 Ram. I have towed about 2300 miles so far. I do have a couple of things that help out though. I have the normal size bed 6'4", so it has a longer wheelbase than 90% of the half ton trucks on the road (Ram, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan). Also, I have the factory air suspension. I did put load range D tires on the truck before purchasing the trailer. Only complaint would be MPG, but I think it's normal for a gas engine.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #50
AussieCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
For reference, I tow a 2810bh with a 2013 Ram. I have towed about 2300 miles so far. I do have a couple of things that help out though. I have the normal size bed 6'4", so it has a longer wheelbase than 90% of the half ton trucks on the road (Ram, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan). Also, I have the factory air suspension. I did put load range D tires on the truck before purchasing the trailer. Only complaint would be MPG, but I think it's normal for a gas engine.
I appreciate the post, thank you! It provided some additional comfort to me to read that we're towing similar trailers with very similar trucks, and that your experience has been positive. I don't expect MPG to be great with a Hemi and agree it's 'normal'. That said, I feel the power and way it pulls I think is a big plus and worth any extra $$ in gas. Out of curiousity - what type of tires did you purchase that were load range D for 20" rims? I may buy new tires, although my first tow test (with the factory Goodyears) was pretty solid, so might wait until they wear out first.

We very nearly bought the 2810BH, but the decision factor was the length of our driveway, the 2400BH fits perfectly, while the 2810 was a bit long and we would not (legally) been able to keep it on the drive during summer. Great TT though - hope you're enjoying it! We love ours.

Happy Camping! Our reservation systems for summer camping open soon, so i'm getting excited
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #51
mfifield01

I went with the BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0KO2&tab=Sizes

They're a little pricey, but gives a good solid feel when I tow. I air them up to 65 PSI when towing. I usually run them just below 50 when unloaded. Having a 4wd truck, I wanted an AT tire.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #52
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I went with the BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0KO2&tab=Sizes

They're a little pricey, but gives a good solid feel when I tow. I air them up to 65 PSI when towing. I usually run them just below 50 when unloaded. Having a 4wd truck, I wanted an AT tire.

I have a set of those going on 70,000 miles on a Yukon that I rarely tow with. I assume they'd be a bit more worn if it was a heavy tow vehicle, but those things are amazing.

One thing to watch out for. Don't accept a wildly out of balance one off the rack. They do have a tendency to be inconsistently heavy on a side and if you see them reaching for the big weights during balancing, tell them no... You want one that doesn't need that much weight to get it to balance.

They're aren't that many of them that do it, but enough to mention it. Some tire shops will whack three or even four weights on a wheel and call it good. Don't let them.

I can't believe the mileage I've gotten out of the A/T KOs. They're a harder tire and they do struggle a bit for traction in precip and snow as expected, and they're a bit noisy.

I've also had a set of BFG Rugged Trail T/As, and they aren't nearly as hard, nor did they last as long.