Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
DennisT

Brake Controller behavior question and Hayes feedback please?

I'm pretty new here; really new to our first RV TT. (Springdale 266RL, 2009)

Five years ago I got a 16' car trailer to use with my '97 Dodge 2500 4WD Cummins, stick-shift diesel pickup. Truck had tow package, etc., but no controller, so knowing no better I got a controller from O'Rieley Auto Parts. It's a Hayes Energizer III 81741B. Truck was pre-wired so an adapter cable plugged right in. I've had no trouble with it with my car trailer.

This summer we got our very first TT. Simply put, I cannot tell if the controller is set right or not. I followed directions, "little lever," is hanging vertical. Gain set where I, "think," I feel trailer brakes working. But it's hard for me to tell what the trailer is doing. I feel NO surging from the TT when braking; outfit seems to be braking as a unit. But it doesn't have the feel the car trailer has. Perhaps this is because of the fancy equalizer hitch is making the trailer feel locked tight to the truck?

Today I cruised down our long, level driveway about 8 mph and tried the manual slide lever trailer brake, (no truck brakes). Yes, I can feel the traler brakes come on when the slide is about 80% across it's available travel. Slide full on does not slide the trailer wheels on my gravel driveway. I wonder if I don't have enough gain?

I have put about 400 miles on the truck and trailer and each 100 miles I have stopped, walked back and felt of the trailer hubs. Slightly warm; feel fine. So I know I'm not dragging a brake which is something I want very much to avoid.

First, is this Hayes controller a good one? I'm wondering about pulling it out and buying a Prodigy 2 or 3. Or am I on the wrong track? Would I have any more, "feel," with the Prodigy?

I have no experienced neighbor to check me on this, so I'm here doing more homework. I did, "search," on this forum and did find some help on controller preferences.

Thoughts?

Thanks for listening,
Dennis in E WA state
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
maxx1963

I would ONLY buy a hayes. I own a Hayes engage and love it. I went out to my truck to go to work one morning 4 years after buying it and my brake lights were on? I unpluged the controller and they went off, so I called Hayes, you have to leave a message, about an hour later a older gentelman called me and I explained what happened he said no problem give me your address and I will send you a new one. I said free? he said yes, all of our brake controllers have a life time warranty and if anything happens we send you a new one right away. So like 2 days later a brand new one was at my door. You dont get servise like that much anymore!!

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Since your trailer is an '09 you might want to physically check your brakes and bearings. They may just need adjusting or seals may be blown. BUT , yes you can try more gain if you want the trailer to grab first.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
DennisT

Brake

Thank you both. Well, first, so far I haven't heard any red flags about the Hayes. So I won't just race out and buy another, .... "just because."

This trailer has the 400 miles on it after receiving all new brakes, drums and bearings from a large recognized dealer. They gave me the paperwork. I think I will figure they are set up OK at this point.

Maybe I'll give it a tiny bit more gain and see what happens. On the manual slide lever I'd prefer to feel the brakes take hold when the lever is about half way over rather than near the end of travel. Maybe it does not matter as I know the trailer is not supposed to stop the entire rig by itself. But I have heard that on long downgrades some folks will manually work the trailer brakes gently from time-to-time.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote