Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Nomad2009

All around best Tow truck option is?

Guys, need advice on purchasing a good truck for towing now and something that can tow large 5th wheel in future and good truck all around, if I upgrade to larger unit which I am considering so want to shop something you can recommend to cover all bases I respect your advice.

TX

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Nomad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Jim W

I would decide on what size 5th wheel you want to buy than size the TV for it. Any of the big three pick-up trucks with a diesel engine will pull most large 5er's. At a minimum I would look for a 1 ton dually with 4:10 gears for pulling a large 5th wheel trailer. Test drive them all to see which one you would like to buy.
I am partial to the Dodge Ram diesel pick-up truck because of the Cummins engine in it. I like the ease of service on the Cummins engine and the fact that the turbo is not buried in the valley of the engine as other makes have it. I also do not have to remove the cab to work on the engine for any reason, like some do.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Nomad2009

I want TV to tow my cougar now, I have been using Yukon and pushing it but long trips I need improved TV. I will look at what you recommended I do want it to be something that will cover me now and future 5thw options and a good truck for all around use.

TX for advice Jim!

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Nomad2009

Jim do you know if any of these can seat 6 ?

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2009 View Post
Jim do you know if any of these can seat 6 ?
Yes; the Dodge Ram Mega Cab and the new MY2012 Crew cab from Dodge can both seat 6 passangers. I am not sure about the Chevys and Fords.

The Mega Cab was introduced in 2006 with the 5.9L Cummins engine.
Jim W.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Lee -
I am quite sure you will hear from members who will suggest one of these three trucks for towing an RV of that size --- Ford, GMC/Chev, and Dodge. If you have any plans of getting a bit larger RV, then I would certainly look at a 1T and a 1T for your Cougar would be a great TV.
You really can't go wrong with any one of these trucks and it really comes down to personal preference and brand loyalty. Why not take each out for a test drive? Get the one that YOU like the best.
If you are looking to seat 6, an extended cab isn't for you. Nowadays, I think most trucks seat two (comfortably) in the front. You'll need to find something with 6 sets of seatbelts in them!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Nomad2009

Hey Festus! Hope all is well!

I am looking through the Dodge. Trying to go through the specs they have on the site (www.ramtrucks.com) Is it the 2500 or 3500 you recommend? and the 5.9 or 6.7? Does the box have to be 8' for a 5th wheel hitch? It seems the passengers changes specs and limits box size. Can you see the spec you recommend, it seems to change the towing lbs when you add passengers and I cant find the "MY2012 Crew cab"

TX

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 07-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

If you plan on going with a 5er in the future, I would recommend a 350/3500 series truck from any of the big-3 in dually flavor with a turbo-diesel engine (they each only have 1 available, F-6.7, C/GMC-Duramax, D-CTD 6.7).

Drive them all, and buy the one you like. They all will do the job fine. Forget what I think, because my butt is shaped differently than yours, so what you find comfortable will differ from me.

Long-bed or short bed.... Either will do the job. Long bed will obviously have more room. Short bed will do the job, but may require a slider hitch for the 5er - which adds additional expense.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Lee -
I have a 2500 GMC shortbox and tow a Cougar 5th. While my hitch is adjustable - it is not a true "slider" in that I have to stop, park, manually move the level to "maneuver" and then complete the rest of the process.
I've never crunched any truck windows or the front edge cap of the Cougar yet and I've made some pretty tight turns. If I am in situation where it is tight or could be a potential problem, my wife gets out of the TV and watches. As a matter of fact, I've never had to slide the hitch back yet.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Hey Festus! Hope all is well!

I am looking through the Dodge. Trying to go through the specs they have on the site (www.ramtrucks.com) Is it the 2500 or 3500 you recommend? and the 5.9 or 6.7? Does the box have to be 8' for a 5th wheel hitch? It seems the passengers changes specs and limits box size. Can you see the spec you recommend, it seems to change the towing lbs when you add passengers and I cant find the "MY2012 Crew cab"

TX
You really want a 3500 DRW, if you are looking larger. I would look between 98.5 to 2007.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9 no emissions.

The newer the better as the GVWR will be higher.

I pull a Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, at 11.5K and about 2.2K Pin I am almost a 1,000# over GVWR, but also a 1,000# UNDER my rear axle GAWR. This is a 01 2500 Camper Special with tow package (no increase in the GVWR). This truck sits level with stock suspension, and tows great.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Ok some advice from someone who just got done shopping for a new TV....

The Chevy is nice if looking for a plush ride. Interior is dated and has not changed much over the last 5 years. The rear seat area is good for those of short stature.

The Dodge, great engine, rear seat area I will call tight. IMO interior is cheap.

The Ford, which is what I wound up getting. Very comfortable rear seat area. Enough leg room for those a little north of 6 feet or enough room to move the front seat way back. Front seat can be had in two different configurations and one will allow six passengers.

Engine/transmission packages are all about the same. All 3 are basically all new technology since 2010, Ford being the newest of the bunch. It is an engine developed in house by Ford. No more International help after the 6.0 and 6.4 problems. All are now using DEF and each has it's advantages and each has had it's problems.

As far as gear ratios go not sure on the chevys or the dodge but Ford at the F350 level can only be a 3.73 in the DRW. Single wheel gives you a choice of 3.31, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 gear sets. The 6 speed tranny would be happy with the 3.73 or the 3.55 with a large trailer in tow. I wish I had 3.55's but still very happy with the 3.73. Also of note about going with a DRW no short bed and you get the larger fuel tank. Short beds equal small fuel tanks.

You have any questions on the Ford PM me. I will be more then happy to let you know about my recent 8700 mile round trip from Anchorage, Ak to Phoenix, Az back to Anchorage.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
mikell

Just finalizing an offer on a 4500 crew cab gas hauler. Should pull the 15000 Alpine like a dream. Diesel prices and the mileage difference didn't make any sense so I went with the gas and it was about 10k$ less than the diesel.

$10k lower
Diesel $1 higher
3 mpg difference
Diesel oil change 65$ gas 40$
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Jim W

I have attached the Ram (Dodge) Body Builders guide. This list all of the dimensions for the Ram pick-up trucks bed sizes, pulling mass (weight) per axle differential gear set and transmission type. The Mega Cab and the 2012 Crew cab have seating for 6 passengers.
The 4th generation models of the Ram pick-up trucks have been will received and are about 10K less than a furd. Remember this model has the turbo buried in the valley of the engine between the heads and the cab needs to be removed to service most components on this engine.
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf
Jim W.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Remember this model has the turbo buried in the valley of the engine between the heads and the cab needs to be removed to service most components on this engine.

Jim W.
Just so it's clear about cab removal...it is only required for any work below the heads. The turbo, injectors and glow plugs which are normal service items are all accessable without removing the cab. Turbo is even easier on the 6.7l. The same was true for the other International engines. Never needed to remove the cab unless you required head removal after installing head studs. The cab removal has been a cash cow for dealers and it still is. They still charge for 6 hours on/off and they can do it in less then 3.....

Just like the 12+ hours to replace Durmax injectors charged by Chevy dealers and can only be done at the dealers. I have done 5 of them and I can tear it down and back on the road in less then 10 if I have good help. All with basic hand tools. How about the $30 a pint special Dodge only fluid for the transmission. I have more but I will leave it at that.

Sorry about the rant but each of the big 3 has their cash cow. It just takes someone with good common sense to throw the BS flag and not willing to pay. We have gotten lazy here in the US and we now pay thru the nose for it. The days of fixing our own equipemnt has gone to the wayside becuase it's to complicated. No we are to lazy to buy the books to learn and purchase the right tools to do it ourselves.

I am 50 years old and I am not afraid to go toe to toe with any computer geek, engineer, or gamer out there. Where did I get my knowledge....it was not from letting someone else work on my $h!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it so funny reading forums and watching people run to web to get answers when they had it front of them the whole time right in their owners manual.

MikeII there is no way a gas engine will ever pull 15000 like a dream. I use to do it...always was under the impression of bigger the better, 454 and 502 were the norm in all my trucks, even had a "special" motor built but once I pulled with a diesel there is no going back to gas for hauling a load. I now see alot of folks buying the "ECO Boost"...ha ha ha. If you are a flatlander good, throw a couple of long or steep grades in there and your gas engine will be short lived.

I am not sure why diesel prices are so much more then gas prices. So everyone is clear that difference is almost ONLY in the US. Canada and Mexico diesel generally was equal to or cheaper then regular gas and alot of places along the western states it was many times less then a dime difference as we found during our trip.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I knew this would end up a truck pissing contest.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Guys, need advice on purchasing a good truck for towing now and something that can tow large 5th wheel in future and good truck all around, if I upgrade to larger unit which I am considering so want to shop something you can recommend to cover all bases I respect your advice.

TX
Guys ---- Please take a look at Nomad2009's post. Seems to me that all he's looking for is some advice on "purchasing a good truck for towing now and in the future". Let's try to keep our comments focused on that and try to help the guy out.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Nomad2009

Guys just looked at a 2004 Ford f250 Lariat turbo diesel 6.0 think the ratio was 3.73 3/4 ton says about 12k tow one owner really well maintained asking 21k
Any ine have comment on this one? May be under some suggestion but i see alot of these towin big stuff 5th and backhoes boats.

Tx

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
f6bits

When it comes to towing, there are a few numbers you need to find out:
Front and Rear GAWR
Total GVWR
Payload Capacity
Towing Capacity

Without those last two numbers (the first ones are nice to know), you’re not going to get strong recommendations here.

However, if you find something with a cargo (payload) capacity of at least 2500 lbs and towing capacity of at least 12k, you’re in the right ballpark.

As I look at fivers, their gross weight is often around 12k. Super top of the fivers and big toy haulers hit 14 to 16 thousand pounds with 3k or more on the hitch.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Just finalizing an offer on a 4500 crew cab gas hauler. Should pull the 15000 Alpine like a dream. Diesel prices and the mileage difference didn't make any sense so I went with the gas and it was about 10k$ less than the diesel.

$10k lower
Diesel $1 higher
3 mpg difference
Diesel oil change 65$ gas 40$
You only need to change diesel motor oil half as often as gas!
Don't know here you live, but diesel is only about $.30 more around my parts.
20 mpg highway at 65.
14 mpg around town.
12 pulling 12K 5er at 60, up and down hills.
Not trying to change you just some facts.

Edit, you get a lot of the 10K price difference back at trade in or resale.
The reason I will not try to change you, is if you love a gasser, you will never understand a diesel, they are different and need understanding and are driven differently.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
Nomad2009

OK just FYI I got the specs on this:

Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Turbo diesel 6 1/2 Bed

Front Gawr 5,200
Rear Gawr 6, 084
Total GV 8,800
Towing Capacity 10,600
Payload 1500

I was looking to around this size 5ver so I guess this TV needs to be stepped up:

Length 35'0"
Width 8'4"
Height 12'9"
Hitch Weight 2,160 lbs
Dry Weight 8,960 lbs
Gross Weight 12,560 lbs
Cargo Weight 3,600 lbs

Lee
2012 Cougar 30RKS
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL