Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #1
Charliebeardogs

5th wheel fusion cover

It seems I keep getting very different reviews on covers and they aren't cheap at 700-800.00 it's a investment. We live in wisconsin so it will take a beating. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you so much.
Charliebeardogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebeardogs View Post
It seems I keep getting very different reviews on covers and they aren't cheap at 700-800.00 it's a investment. We live in wisconsin so it will take a beating. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you so much.
No cover! Clean it, give it a good coat of wax & park it!
As you said "it'll take a beating" so you'll likely be buying another after about 2 seasons of use, providing you don't have much wind to speed the process & cause chaffing everywhere it flaps against the sides.
Are you physically able to carry it up a ladder, then hopscotch all over the roof while avoiding vents, skylights & A/C units while 13-14' off the ground to get it rolled out, then repeat when removing?
Do you plan any late spring early/summer trips before all the snow/ice have melted off the cover, if so how would you remove it?
We are in a park in Arizona, totally different weather than yours, where there's a Canadian fellow that covers his TT each summer, this will be our 6th season & he's on his 3rd cover in that time, each spring they're looking for 3-4 volunteers to help get it covered.
Personally I'd put that $700-800 towards a permanent cover to park it under if that's allowed.
Just my .02 cents! Your $$, your rv....
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
I have a RVMasking brand cover that i paid somewhere over $300 for last year..it’s been a good investment for me..i also have a good wax coat on the fifth wheel.
if i get three years i will be more then satisfied…i spend more to get my boat shrink wrapped every year and that lasts one winter.
so far i haven’t seen any damage or rubbing from the cover.

I really want a permanent structure but trying to decide on where i want to install it and what type

last year my wife and i installed it in like 20 min..this year i did it by myself ..used a rope to pull it up by the end and walked it forward …..took maybe 30 min.

i want to do everything possible to slow down the inevitable oxidation and fading graphics.

also snow sitting on your camper could possibly cause problems with melting into places that would normally run off in a rainstorm..like the ac units or max air vent covers

over half of the people on the forum are against covers but my experience has been positive so far
Old 12-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
Charliebeardogs

Yeah my hubby can crawl around up on top I wouldn't even think of it. Good input thank you
Old 12-05-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
Charliebeardogs

Thanks we will have to look into masking. At least nothing would be flapping around. That's a great idea. Shrink rap like a boat would work however not sure if there was water trapped under neath. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Thanks we will have to look into masking. At least nothing would be flapping around. That's a great idea. Shrink rap like a boat would work however not sure if there was water trapped under neath. Thanks for sharing
A boat is designed to be in & around water so the condensation under the shrink wrap shouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't recommend covering a rv with anything that isn't breathable, such as shrink wrap or a plastic tarp .
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
RVMasking is the brand of rv cover…i would not shrink wrap, i only do my boat as it is too big for anything but a custom cover that would likely cost thousands of dollars
Old 12-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
markdol1

I always cover for the winter .Its worth the effort for me. I just traded my 2014 bullet premier and got $1000 dollars OVER book value because it looks like new. Would you rather buy a classic car thats been garaged for 30 years or one thats been left outside in bad weather? thats an easy choice. Shop around fully before finding a good cover at a REASONABLE price. The most expensive are not always the best quality. Most last about 3 or 4 years depending how savage your weather is. I just bought a new cougar that takes a 35 ft cover, its not light. I am 65 years old and managed to use a ladder to cover it by myself. I went this time with a tuzsom 7 layer roof panel cover i got for $ 230 dollars a black friday special marked down from $330 normally so shop around. Cross my fingers and hope this one holds up!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cover