Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
The answer is "Yes." On the long bed (4 fold) there is plenty of room. I travel with the 3 sections folded over the 4th laying down, not up against the window. That blocks the window. The hitch has complete access and the 4th panel can easily be lifted up without interference from the hitch or the trailer. At least in mine, which is a long bed, has no issues at all.

The only down side with this cover, when it's folded over (3 times), the folded panels stacked on top of each other are tall enough, I cannot see the fifth wheel hitch out the back window. But, I also have a crew cab, and the cover (folded) is just high enough, that no matter what I do, I cannot see the hitch. That's why that mirror on the fifth wheel front works so well for me.
Both the OP and I have short bed trucks. The 3 fold covers are not "a 4 fold with one missing panel". Will the 3 fold covers on a short bed truck clear the front cap of a fifth wheel hitched to the truck or will we need to unhitch to fold the cover up for access to the tool box/cargo in the front of the bed ????

I had a long bed 2013 F250 with a 4 panel cover. I had no problems folding up the tonneau with that configuration, but when I bought a short bed and a 3 panel cover, same hitch, same fifth wheel, I could not fold up the tonneau.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #22
jasin1

Wonder if a sliding hitch would clear it
Old 01-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #23
Camping family

Following.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #24
dutchmensport

For a short bed, probably not. Actually, with a short bed, you might not be able to leave the front (3rd) paned down with the other two folded on top of it. In the down position it might interfere with the fifth wheel king pin.

Measure the length of the top of your truck bed. Divide that distance by 3. Now mark it some how, attach a piece of tape across the bed rails over the entire truck bed (side to side). Now, can you hitch without hitting the tape? If you can, then the cover will work. If you can't, the cover will not work as you are hoping.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:57 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmckaycr View Post
Any short beds out there??
Yes, my 3500 is a swb.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Both the OP and I have short bed trucks. The 3 fold covers are not "a 4 fold with one missing panel". Will the 3 fold covers on a short bed truck clear the front cap of a fifth wheel hitched to the truck or will we need to unhitch to fold the cover up for access to the tool box/cargo in the front of the bed ????

I had a long bed 2013 F250 with a 4 panel cover. I had no problems folding up the tonneau with that configuration, but when I bought a short bed and a 3 panel cover, same hitch, same fifth wheel, I could not fold up the tonneau.

John look at my post #18. I'm not familiar with the exact difference between a Ford SWB truck and a Ram but I've ran the 4 panel Bakflip on my Ram SWB since 2012. I've not had the need to flip up the front panel while hitched to the trailer but there isn't any way it wouldn't come up since the pin sits out in front of the cap and the cover is behind that. The only consideration is the 6-8" of the cover that attaches at the front that stays permanently attached. Not an issue in most cases but could be. It sounds like something you might want to consider if the undercover Bakflip tool box would be of any benefit.

Edit: Wanted to add that I run a Andersen 5th wheel hitch in the bed but that shouldn't make any difference as far as I know for this.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #27
goodellj

Are you certain that you must have a hard tonneau cover? I did exactly what you are trying to do, but with a 'soft' tonneau cover. My goal was to lighten my 5th wheel by moving all my tools and some other heavy items to the truck, while still being able to use my soft bed cover that rolls up. I looked for and bought the biggest 'below-the-rails' tool box that I could find. The tonneau cover rolls up and is secured against the back window with Velcro straps.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #28
goldtrigger

BakFlip II Cover

I have a 2012 F350 Short Bed with a Bak Flip II Cover over our slider hitch. I also have a RDS 40 gal fuel/tank tool box. I had to modify the tool box by removing the top and cutting down the back edge to fit under the the cover. I fold the cover to the fourth fold, it lays on top of the tool box portion of the tank. I added a rubber gasket around the top edge of the tool box portion and it seals perfectly. It has never leaked despite driving through some serious Texas thunderstorms.

Only issue with the Bak Flip is it is not dust sealed. With the Texas dust, I do get a good bit of dust inside the bed going the ranch with the top fully down, but nothing in the tool box.
goldtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #29
Badbart56

Why not a rolling hard cover? Even with the electric motor it doesn't take up much space. You could move the tool box back a few inches to clear it. Or do like I did and get these:

https://www.swingcase.us/

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #30
jasin1

I have a bakflip that I used on my 2012 Ram, it’s really nice but a pain with the fifth wheel hitch and loading things up front..I usually go for name brand high quality items but I purchased two of these soft rollup ones for different trucks and it’s really really nice..

So easy to roll up and get to everything ….really easy to roll back out and is surprisingly strong and looks good….doesn’t look like a conestoga old west wagon.. and it’s cheap enough to replace if and when it wears out..I’ve had this one for a year and it still looks brand new

I’m not worried about any security issues because a hard cover is not what I would consider secure…I wouldn’t want someone bending and damaging a $1200 hard cover wondering what might be inside..I’m never far from my truck and when traveling I keep my generator under the rollup cover locked to my hitch with a HEAVY motorcycle chain lock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF1A916E-8B5A-42AC-A9C4-66BEA3C4AF57.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	37802  
Old 01-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #31
skunked again

A fold-a-cover would work. They have two models. It's a quad fold. All 4 panels are the same size. Front panel opens from the front, rear panels fold onto each other, then onto the first panel. I have one on my frontier, can get some pics if you'd like.
What I like about it -
- when the three rear panels are folded up, for taller items, it doesn't block your view out the back window.
- Sits on top of the bed rails.
- easy to remove if you need the entire bed. 4 small bolts.

My dislikes -
- Thin aluminum sheet, dents easy. Truck was out in hail, cover was dented, truck wasn't.

A couple videos -

https://youtu.be/6BigurYVESQ

https://youtu.be/UUBW4hFFbiQ

Would a diamondback cover allow enough room when using the fifth wheel? With the rear panel removed.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collec...BoCj1EQAvD_BwE
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #32
JDDilly

I had a BakFlip MX4 on 2 trucks, one short box and one long box. I could leave it partly closed and pull my 5th wheel. I kept my generator covered while traveling. Worked great and never an issue.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:53 AM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
Are you certain that you must have a hard tonneau cover? I did exactly what you are trying to do, but with a 'soft' tonneau cover. My goal was to lighten my 5th wheel by moving all my tools and some other heavy items to the truck, while still being able to use my soft bed cover that rolls up. I looked for and bought the biggest 'below-the-rails' tool box that I could find. The tonneau cover rolls up and is secured against the back window with Velcro straps.
You mentioned lightening the 5th wheel?
Is that due to pin weight & the truck payload? The tools in the 5er will only add a percentage of their weight to the truck whereas in the truck they 100% of their weight to the the truck if payload is your concern. With a 5th wheel there's typically 23% of its total weight transferred to the truck by pin weight so a 100lbs of tools in the rv will only add 23%+/- of that to the truck, add that same 100lbs of tools in the truck bed you've added 100lbs to the truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #34
Camp CA

I have an Truck Covers USA American Roll Tonneau Cover made of aluminum with s black matte finish. What I particularily like about is it can be retracted to to the front of the fifth wheel hitch to cover the bed where gear is stored AND its lock provides a guide when backing up to connect the trailer's king pin.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/tru...ord/f350/2016/
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #35
Jmckaycr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
I had a BakFlip MX4 on 2 trucks, one short box and one long box. I could leave it partly closed and pull my 5th wheel. I kept my generator covered while traveling. Worked great and never an issue.
Could that be done with your short bed? Or just the long? Thanks
Jmckaycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #36
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You mentioned lightening the 5th wheel?
Is that due to pin weight & the truck payload? The tools in the 5er will only add a percentage of their weight to the truck whereas in the truck they 100% of their weight to the the truck if payload is your concern. With a 5th wheel there's typically 23% of its total weight transferred to the truck by pin weight so a 100lbs of tools in the rv will only add 23%+/- of that to the truck, add that same 100lbs of tools in the truck bed you've added 100lbs to the truck.
I agree and don’t under”Lighting” the 5er. That year F350 SRW likely has a max GVWR of 11,500# and a payload of maybe 3,100#.
I would e moving stuff from the TV to the 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #37
Nryder

I have a Roll n lock on my ccsb ram that works perfect for our fifth wheel hitch. But with it having a canister that it rolls into not sure how big a tool box you are wanting to use. But it’s an option.
Nryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #38
Kzneft

In my opinion you don't want a fold up one, as for many its either all the way folded up or all the way down, no in-between. I went with a roll up one and absolutely love it. I can still put things under it to keep out of the weather, plus I can roll it to within 4" of my 5th wheel hitch and lock it in place.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #39
MCBadgett

I have a short bed with the BAKFlip MX4 cover. My hitch is the B&W companion Slider. I have to flip the cover up against the cab when towing the fifth wheel, otherwise the hitch pin box hits the back bottom edge of the folded cover. My cover has 4 panels that fold, and as stated previously, it's hard to see over the folded panels. I have the 360 degree cameras, and use the one in the back of the cab to hook up. I would get this cover again if I had to replace my rig.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #40
JDDilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmckaycr View Post
Could that be done with your short bed? Or just the long? Thanks
Both short bed and long bed.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, fifth wheel