Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #41
travelin texans

Our daughter lives in a small Texas panhandle town, we were there Labor Day weekend & were definitely in the minority of folks wearing mask, I'd guess 10% of the population wore mask.
DWs sister in a small east Texas town thought it strange that everywhere we went a mask was required as no one in her community had wore one since this all started.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:32 AM   #42
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brent,

Did he address the public schools? How is Texas handling public education?
Here is what a local internet news site is saying:
https://bluebonnetnews.com/2021/03/0...e-mask-policy/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:21 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Statistics, my definition: a compilation of numbers manipulated in a way to prove a point in what "appears" to be scientific manner. Unless I see how the data is reported, where and how it was collected and disseminated then I won't consider it.

Example - Covid-19 positivity test. Are those numbers the number of "unique" tests? (i.e. no repeat tests) Are those the number of positive test TOTAL? What about carrier vs symptomatic? My father always tested positive for tuberculosis. His brother had TB but my father never did anmd the doctors all said he didn't carry it but his TB test still showed positive.

Like everything else discussed here, I look at that "common sense" aspect. If you don't know the subject matter then get educated by asking someone who does like your family doctor or do some investigating and again, having the common sense to vet the sources of the information. Typically when it comes to survey's or statistics look at who FUNDED that study first. Usually that will tell you all you need to know about the conclusions they made.

Common sense, unfortunately families no longer pass this down. Schools have never approached the subject and it seems as if the general populous is ever more dependent on the educational system to tell them how to think, what they should be thinking, and how to shun and shame anyone who questions it. To me, it's obvious that the generations that are educated under this system then become dependent upon their employers and the government to tell them how to think, what to think, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #44
gearhead

X2 on all that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

X3!!! I didn't know I could say anything so short....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

My "inner self" is getting louder and LOUDER with every passing day....

I'm starting to hear the screams of, "GET THE **** OUT OF MY BUSINESS AND OUT OF MY LIFE" and the screams are "vibrating in my chest" as my forehead starts pounding from the **** I see all around me.....

One "pet peeve": Mask mandate: You HAVE to wear a mask to protect (put in your own intended group)... Then go walk around any store, school, gym, restaurant... Virtually NOBODY is properly wearing a mask, yet "somebody said, 'You gotta wear a mask" so "OK, It's around my neck, but I'm wearing it"...

Then (PP # 2): We're keeping a record of everyone who enters, so put your name and address on the sign-in sheet... There's one sheet, one pen on a string, no way to clean the pen and heaven forbid someone sneezed into their hand, signed in and you're next in line.... Don't sign in, you can't enter.. Which translates to "If you don't cross-contaminate yourself, we won't serve you"..... I noted one "name on the sheet" that was MMouse, Disney Freakin' Land.. So how accurately are they going to be able to "track an exposure" ????

I could go on and on, but the "inner screams are getting louder again".....

It's time for people to be responsible for their own safety and STOP the government mandated **** insane control that's not working and only helps those who want to control the masses through **** mandates that don't follow the science.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Well, to add to John's comments about the growing insanity;

Went to our favorite place for puppy day before yesterday as we do every single day unless it's pouring. We've done it for 9 years. What do I see, there, on a plastic sign just stuck up under the little pavilion??? "Facemasks required on federal property"!!! Now it is a federal wildlife refuge, and they did say they were going to do it, but REALLY!! If anyone thinks that sort of action imbues any sort of respect for a federal mandate....well, sorry. As a note I will say in small letters at the bottom it did say if "social distancing" wasn't being followed. Hmmm, who is going to determine that and then what will they do about it? Wasted time, effort and money; the bonus is a LOT of irritation.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, to add to John's comments about the growing insanity;

Went to our favorite place for puppy day before yesterday as we do every single day unless it's pouring. We've done it for 9 years. What do I see, there, on a plastic sign just stuck up under the little pavilion??? "Facemasks required on federal property"!!! Now it is a federal wildlife refuge, and they did say they were going to do it, but REALLY!! If anyone thinks that sort of action imbues any sort of respect for a federal mandate....well, sorry. As a note I will say in small letters at the bottom it did say if "social distancing" wasn't being followed. Hmmm, who is going to determine that and then what will they do about it? Wasted time, effort and money; the bonus is a LOT of irritation.
Reminds me more and more of that A**hole schoolyard bully. Always poking at the small, vulnerable kid on the monkey bars.... Until that little kid kicks out the bully's front teeth in a "provoked, reflexive response"....

I fear that it's just a matter of time before more "little kids start responding"... Thankfully, some governors are seeing the handwriting on the wall, probably because they're closer to the monkey bars than Washington.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #49
powderpc

Don't think for a second anything actually changes on March 10. People are already pretty active with vaccination numbers rising by the day. It's not like the NBA will just start reopening games or hospitals will just pretend they don't need PPE because Abbott says we're open. Nobody actually thinks the situation will be that different March 10 with daily deaths still at 10X what they were last summer. The situation isn't going to change that quickly with our rank at 47 out of 50 states in per capita vaccine distribution. Most *high-density* areas won't likely be back to normal until April or May and businesses will have plenty to lose from pushing a "back to normal" agenda to a wary public. Not everyone is drinking the Texas Kool Aid.
powderpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #50
powderpc

What government are you referring to? Do you live in California? Here in Texas I don't really see much in the way of government mandating what you can or can't do. Businesses don't function solely for the pleasure of customers. They have liabilities to their employees as well as their customers. So if they're in a position to lose the masks and risk widespread infection (and possible death) with their employees that would be a significant risk to their business irrespective of what the government advises or requires. The reality is 200+ people are still dying everyday in Texas, that is 10 times what it was last summer, and nothing is changing that quickly. Maybe by April you can legitimately have this sentiment but this is the reality we're living in. People and businesses still want to be cautious before we've reached a decent level of vaccination. If a store asked you to take your shoes off before you entered would you throw a tantrum of indignation and insist on trampling on their property with your shoes? No, you'd just decide you don't want to go in that store. It's no different with a mask. You can decide if that inconvenience is too much to bear and private property owners have every right to dictate the terms in which you encroach on their property. If you believe in freedom then you better believe that freedom applies to everyone else's rights too.
powderpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #51
travelin texans

I had relatives in different states that made appointments to be tested, got to facility only to find a line around the corner of the building, not wanting to stand in line with however many may already be positive or sick they left & went home, both received letters a couple days later stating that their test all came back positive & I'm sure all 4 of them were counted in the statistics of both states overly inflating the numbers further. Wonder how many of those others that left those lines that their names were on the appointment list that also were notified of positive test results without ever being tested.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpc View Post
Don't think for a second anything actually changes on March 10. People are already pretty active with vaccination numbers rising by the day. It's not like the NBA will just start reopening games or hospitals will just pretend they don't need PPE because Abbott says we're open. Nobody actually thinks the situation will be that different March 10 with daily deaths still at 10X what they were last summer. The situation isn't going to change that quickly with our rank at 47 out of 50 states in per capita vaccine distribution. Most *high-density* areas won't likely be back to normal until April or May and businesses will have plenty to lose from pushing a "back to normal" agenda to a wary public. Not everyone is drinking the Texas Kool Aid.

Removing useless state or federal mandates does nothing to or for anyone with common sense. You can wear a mask if you want to...or not. A business owner can request that you wear one....or not. Oh gosh! We can't have that.....personal responsibility??

As far as drinking Kool Aid; if anyone actually believes those numbers they have been hitting something much harder than Kool Aid. I believe my eyes, ears, what I read locally and my local/regional health professionals.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #53
Ibdagriz

My favorites are the folks driving along the interstate in the middle of nowhere, all alone wearing a mask. I love them.

Second best is the folks coming out of the grocery store in a mask and gloves, who proceed to unload the groceries into the back seat of the car and get in wearing the gloves and the mask still, and drive off.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #54
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
My favorites are the folks driving along the interstate in the middle of nowhere, all alone wearing a mask. I love them.

Second best is the folks coming out of the grocery store in a mask and gloves, who proceed to unload the groceries into the back seat of the car and get in wearing the gloves and the mask still, and drive off.

Griz
I’ll see you and raise you a person driving with a mask, face shield and gloves.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #55
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post

Griz
My wife makes me wear a mask when I am out in the middle of nowhere with her while driving my clunker-truck. She says it makes me look almost handsome and mysterious. When I ask her why she doesn't wear a mask in the truck she just giggles. I am confused.

Oh, on the semi-serious side, I look at a local neighborhood app called Nextdoor. There are two kinds of folks; ones who thinks it is their right to either wear or not wear the mask and the other side is the mask shamers. They want to report anyone who is not wearing a mask... I have yet to see anyone bothered by a LEO or such for not wearing one during the "mandate". I also believe my personal opinion on mask or no mask, etc, doean't really matter to anyone but my wife who thinks I should keep one on unless taking a shower for aesthetics.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #56
flybouy
Site Team

A few weeks ago I was getting some imaging on my neck and shoulder. At the check in desk was a clipboard to sign in. On one side a cardboard box with ink pens jabbed into the lid and Clean pens written on it. On the other side a plastic dirty pens written on it. The line was fairly long so I stepped a bit out to see this proceedure. The people that didn't take a pen out of the dirty container would pull on a pen stuck in the box and lift the box off the counter. As the pen was stuck in the hole they would hold down the box lid with their left hand while pulling out the pen. Then they would use their left hand to hold doen the clipboard while they signed in.

When it was my turn the receptionist said the clean pens are on the left. I sais no they aren't as I removed my pen from my jacket and signed in. No, I did not touch the chipboard. The receptionist looked at me ans said that's smart. I said wrong again hun, it's just common sense.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #57
jasin1

At my local Home Depot they took out the “glass slide scanners” at the cash register and installed wireless handheld scanners for the self service checkout....I said to the lady watching over that area ....”why would I want to grab something that everyone that shops here has already touched”?...I asked her if they sterilize it.. she coughed and said ..yeah..periodically.
I said besides this whole COVID bull$#&@..I don’t want to handle something so germ ridden...I said of all the things to do away with ..this makes no sense

They did have a large can of sanitizer wipes that had a lid on that you have to wrestle with to get one out
Old 03-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #58
travelin texans

Now hear this & tell me if it makes any sense?
The Governor of Arizona today signed an executive order allowing all dine in facilities gyms, bowling alleys to open back up to 100%..........but must require mask & social distancing. They've already separated or removed tables to social distance so if reopening to 100% how do they expect to social distance. I'm guessing that in a week or 2 they'll be back to 100%, who's gonna enforce it?
We ate yesterday at a mom/pop restaurant for lunch, the owner had a sign stating that "the city had discontinued the mask requirements", found out later they had NOT, & if their wait staff & other employees not wearing a mask made you uncomfortable, STAY HOME!
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Saw a pic on the internet today of a restaurant with a big sign in front of the door; "No mask, no service".....hmmm, I wonder how many masks you would ingest while you ate a 16oz ribeye?? Geez

On the other hand, where I am here in FL at this country club "resort", the restaurant on property does not require masks but....you see the PC folks get out of vehicles, walk to the door, put on the mask, sit down at the table and take them off....?????
Old 03-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #60
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
On the other hand, where I am here in FL at this country club "resort", the restaurant on property does not require masks but....you see the PC folks get out of vehicles, walk to the door, put on the mask, sit down at the table and take them off....?????
This is the requirement in MN when herr gov has allowed the restaurants to open (and then shuts them back down). It’s because of the table bubble - you are safe sitting at your table with no mask on because the table bubble keeps out bad germs. But, once you get up to head to bathroom, leave, etc you burst the table bubble and have to mask up. Reminds me of Menards - everyone must wear a mask unless you are in the cart - they have a special cart bubble the virus can’t get into apparently. And I’ve sworn that at some point I am going to punt through the store from in the cart so I don’t have to wear a mask and I won’t be breaking the “rules”.

(Table bubble and cart bubble are, of course, made up. But apparently many people think they are effective at preventing a virus...

To keep this somewhat Texas related, DD is headed to Texas with her 4-H friends and a couple of parents for a week right after the mask mandate leaves down there. She’s happy to be going somewhere that allows freedom of using common sense for when to mask and when to not.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote