Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

While everyone should "pack spares to their comfort level", I don't have a WD hitch any longer (fifth wheel) but towed a travel trailer for more years than I care to remember. During all those years, I don't recall ever packing a "spare parts kit" for the hitch. Never did I need a spare part and I was never "stranded" because the hitch broke.

I wonder if this new offering, the Straptek system, is quite as reliable as it ought to be if it's going to be expected to tow a 10K trailer behind a tow vehicle at 65-70 MPH on a busy highway? Is this an early adaptation of a new technology that's going to evolve into a reliable system or is this "the best it gets" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #42
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While everyone should "pack spares to their comfort level", I don't have a WD hitch any longer (fifth wheel) but towed a travel trailer for more years than I care to remember. During all those years, I don't recall ever packing a "spare parts kit" for the hitch. Never did I need a spare part and I was never "stranded" because the hitch broke.

I wonder if this new offering, the Straptek system, is quite as reliable as it ought to be if it's going to be expected to tow a 10K trailer behind a tow vehicle at 65-70 MPH on a busy highway? Is this an early adaptation of a new technology that's going to evolve into a reliable system or is this "the best it gets" ???
Same here. I keep reading this thread wondering just what was wrong with the nice heavy chains I used to use. I never once had a problem hooking them up using the small "pipe" supplied and after "I" adjusted the hitch after the dealer did, I never had any issues with sway to speak of. I also never carried spare hitch parts (except maybe a locking pin) and never had a hitch part break. I know hitches have come a long way since then, but this one has got me wondering if the "old" way really needs to be reinvented. Not knocking it, just not understanding the "why".
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #43
xrated

John and cane.......I bought the StrapTec system because to me, the pull ups that came with my Blue Ox W.D. hitch were somewhat dangerous. It wasn't the "pull up" that I didn't like (although that was somewhat of a pain in the donkey's butt), but the release of the spring bars. The release part was simply not something that could be done in a controlled, easy as you go manner. Once the cam for the chains was rotated over "center", the thing just let loose....and I'm talking in a nano-second. If your hands or fingers were in the wrong place.....it wan't going to have a happy ending. You simply could not control the release slowly, while letting the tension off of the spring bars. On my setup, I've got 1500 lb spring bars (trailer GVW is 13K), so it was "instant" as soon as that cam came over the center.

Witht the StrapTeK system, I can put pressure on the winch device, which allows you to release the catch, then I can slowly let off the spring bar tension. When my hand/arm gets to the point that I need to regrip, I simply release the spring loaded latch and it holds it in place while I get the wrench positioned for loosening the spring bars some more. All very controlled and nothing sudden/violent.

I honestly don't think the SpingTek system is as sturdy as the original Blue Ox setup, but on a personal basis, I would rather have something that Maybe???? isn't quite as long lasting/sturdy, but offers a much higher level of safety and comfort to me, the operator of the W.D. hitch.

And the bottom line is that I bought the Blue Ox (this is my first and only experience with W.D. hitches as I've never needed one before) and there may be better systems out there that are far more user friendly and safer and would have given me a better comfort level using them.....I don't know! At any rate, I bought it and certainly didn't want to have to try out others until I found the "sweet spot" on W.D. hitches. So even though the Blue Ox OEM stuff wasn't what I really felt comfortable with after getting it, the StrapTek replacement pull ups have left me with a completely satisfied result.....and I'll just deal with choosing to carry some spare parts.......just in case.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #44
smpremier

Well, to clear things up a little it was in a way my own fault. I was trying too hard to get the straps up to the bottom of the winch like there supposed to be. I should've adjusted the hitch head more. That's why I told lci I would gladly pay for the part that broke but they would not sell it to me.
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
canesfan

I'm not familiar with the Blue OX WDH. I know people seem to like them for towing cars behind Class As, but that's a whole different thing. I don't remember what brand WDH I had now, but I never once felt I wasn't in complete control both hooking up the bars and unhooking them. I think with the last 30 TT I had 1200 lb bars but that was too long ago to be sure. I also never had an electric jack and never had trouble raising and lowering the trailer to do so. So I guess without experiencing your particular setup it's hard to understand. But if you don't feel safe with that setup, and now the one you have is maybe prone to breaking, I would think I would look into a different hitch altogether. Just my line of thinking. I'd hate to have something "back there" break going down the freeway.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #46
Jeepshots

For me, i like the idea of the attachment point being lower on the side of the tongue, not on top of the tongue. This results in a shorter pendulum action, which should tighten everything up when running down the road. As i said in my original reply to this thread, i'm experimenting. If i don't like my Straptek variant, i'll go back to the chains. But with the chain setup, I experienced the bracket sliding back and forth, and it pressured against my propane tank holder, shearing 3 of the 4 bolts holding it down. I'm currently still set up with the chains, and have tightened everything back down to the best of my ability - next step would be to weld the chain mounts to the tongue. Thought i'd try the straptek version first before resorting to the metal glue.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #47
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I'm not familiar with the Blue OX WDH. I know people seem to like them for towing cars behind Class As, but that's a whole different thing. I don't remember what brand WDH I had now, but I never once felt I wasn't in complete control both hooking up the bars and unhooking them. I think with the last 30 TT I had 1200 lb bars but that was too long ago to be sure. I also never had an electric jack and never had trouble raising and lowering the trailer to do so. So I guess without experiencing your particular setup it's hard to understand. But if you don't feel safe with that setup, and now the one you have is maybe prone to breaking, I would think I would look into a different hitch altogether. Just my line of thinking. I'd hate to have something "back there" break going down the freeway.
I honestly don't feel like it is going to break on me, but I'm somewhat of the type of person that tries to plan for the "what ifs" that might happen. Admittedly, I'm probably a bit anal about that kind of thing. I have an Anderson Rapid Jack onboard in case of a trailer flat, but I also carry a 12 Ton bottle jack....just in case. When I go to the track for my motorcycle track days....I have spares of the stuff that I might need. I carry a complete front and rear set of tires/wheels/axles, sprockets/etc for the bike. I guess you might say that I'm a bit fanatical, but having the peace of mind and the comfort of knowing that I should/maybe/can get myself either back on the road or in the case of the bike, back on the track if something happens. It's kind of like buying insurance for your XXXXX (fill in the blank)....you buy it, and hope that you never need it.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #48
Jeepshots

It's called being prepared. Nothing wrong with that at all. I do it myself on quite a few things, and for various reasons. Biggest reason: Just In Case.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 05-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #49
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
It's called being prepared. Nothing wrong with that at all. I do it myself on quite a few things, and for various reasons. Biggest reason: Just In Case.
Not sure who that is directed to, but I wasn't questioning being prepared. There is nothing wrong with being prepared, I always try to be. Last time I cleaned out the kitchen drawers we had 3 pizza cutters, I guess in case 1 & 2 broke at the same time. Anyway, I was questioning, for my own information, the why of using this device when there are other proven, reliable options out there. Like I said earlier, I'm not knocking it, I don't have enough information to do so if I wanted to. Just asking why.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #50
smpremier

I got it for two reasons. Ease of operation and better sway control over chains. Actually 3 reasons. I don't have to use my jack to jack the truck and trailer up as high as I can.
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #51
Jeepshots

Quote:
Not sure who that is directed to, but I wasn't questioning being prepared.
I was commenting on xrated's post. I'm a "be prepared" type person myself, and just wanted to sing with the choir.

I'm wanting to try it to see if it's better than my chain setup. And I can do it cheaper by piecing it together myself instead of plunking down $180. Like smpremier mentioned, it's supposed to have better sway control due to the shorter pendulum length, easy to set up (chains aren't difficult for me - just a lot of up/down with the tongue jack), and this is supposed to alleviate the up/down with the tongue jack. So, if it works, i'll be happy. If it doesn't work for me, i'll go back to chains.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #52
canesfan

Thanks for all the answers. Only time will tell. I hope it all works out for all of you. What isn't right is that LCI won't sell the "parts" separately if something breaks. Not sure I understand their reasoning behind that. Having access to spare parts for "all" this stuff is essential. Glad you all found another place to get them, and I'm sure they are more reasonable than if LCI were willing to sell them to you.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #53
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Thanks for all the answers. Only time will tell. I hope it all works out for all of you. What isn't right is that LCI won't sell the "parts" separately if something breaks. Not sure I understand their reasoning behind that. Having access to spare parts for "all" this stuff is essential. Glad you all found another place to get them, and I'm sure they are more reasonable than if LCI were willing to sell them to you.
As smpremier and jeepshots stated, just overall easier to use. And I can verify/testify that with the StrapTek system, there is absolutely ZERO of having to raise and lower the tongue of the trailer up or down to make it easier, like there is with the chain setup. Back the truck up to the trailer coupler, lower the coupler down onto the trailer ball, tightened up the StrapteK to where you would normally put it, continue raising the Tongue jack leg up and you are ready to go.

I kind of understand why there are no spare parts for the winch. I'm guessing here, but it makes sense that Lippert sources the winch assembly from ABC source (likely USCargo) and then they source the poly straps (maybe from USCargo, but I don't know that) and then the mounting brackets are made by either them or sourced out and the winch assembly is then bolted onto the mounting brackets and the product is complete. I seriously doubt if even USCargo has spare parts for the winch. At $7.95 each, it would seem silly to stock parts when you can buy a new one for $8 bucks.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #54
Still go once

I purchased Straptek just after I bought my new electric jack, If I would have bought Straptek firs,t I wouldn't have bought the jack.
Still go once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:53 AM   #55
jmak

For those using blueox swaypro how many dots are you at when hitched up on the straps?
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #56
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmak View Post
For those using blueox swaypro how many dots are you at when hitched up on the straps?
Here's what I did. Before removing the Blue Ox pull ups, I hooked up to my Toy Hauler and used them to tension the spring bars as I normally would, I then used a tape measure and measured the distance between the top of the spring bar and the bottom of the trailer "A" arm where they were mounted. Record that number (in my case, it was 4 3/4"), and then release the spring bars for the last time. Remove the Blue Ox pull ups and install the new StrapTek winches on both sides. Remove the chains from your spring bars AND turn the "U" bolts over so that they can be hooked to the StrapTek "J" hook. NOW, crank up the winch until your spring bar measures the same distance from the top of it, to the bottom of the A frame. Adjust it if necessary to get the same (4 3/4" in my case) distance and you should be good to go. Hope this helps you figure it out. My straps didn't have any type of marks on them, so when I got them adjusted to the correct tension, I took a paint stick and drew a white line on the strap at the Top Dead Center....that way I don't have to measure every time I use them.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #57
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
My straps didn't have any type of marks on them, so when I got them adjusted to the correct tension, I took a paint stick and drew a white line on the strap at the Top Dead Center....that way I don't have to measure every time I use them.
That's thinking with your dipstick!! I like it!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #58
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
That's thinking with your dipstick!! I like it!
I always try to work smarter.....not harder.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #59
cvin

i have the blue ox sway pro on my keystone and also do not like the way the chains pop down on releasing

have had several WD set ups and never had one that is sprung so tight like that when releasing...
even if i have the trailer lifted high with the electric jack...

will research this product