Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Mandtra

Bouncing and more bouncing

When pulling my 2016 GT2670 5800lbs loaded with 800lbs tongue weight with my 2016 Silverado 1500 equalizer 10k hitch It bounces pretty bad . I have went through the setup on the hitch several times and the more tension I put on the bars the less sway but the more bounce . With this setup and my truck is it possible to eliminate both sway and bounce ? Or am I asking too much with a 1500 truck ?

Should I have airbags installed ? Or is there something else I can try
Mandtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

With an 800 lb. tongue weight on a 1500 a couple of suggestions:

1. Install airbags in the rear of your truck
2. Upgrade the tires on the pickup to LT tires

You need to dial in the hitch correctly. Too much load shifted to the front will make the rear end light and bounce (I've lifted one up so much the tires would not touch the ground going over an intersection) and too much shifted to the rear will do the same thing (lift the front)...especially if you are overloading the tires and or springs.

Edit: one thing I forgot. It doesn't seem to make sense but when I upgraded my trailer tires to LRE from LRD (a stiffer tire) that also seemed to make a difference in "bounce". I think the other items are more important.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
jmak

I have the same issue as you. I am using a blue ox sway pro. Both hitch and ball at 24 inches and then I raised my ball to 25 inches. I either start to get sway or start getting a stiff bouncy ride with my F150 and Cougar 26RBI in either situation depending on the amount of tension I put on my bars. Trailer weight loaded is 6500lbs and my hitch weight is 820lbs. Adding in the weight of the weight distribution hitch I am putting 870lbs on the ball my truck.

Both at 24 inches and 25 inches with the ball my truck is level. At 25 inches the trailer as a slight incline going forward however it rides just a little bit better.

I travel fairly light on supplies. I wonder if my fresh water tank is in the front if I add water if that will help balance more weight forward taking away sway giving a smoother ride without having to add so much tension to my sway bars that cause the bounce.

Also I already upgraded to XL load tires on my truck. Did help make the truck feel a little more stable but did not change the feel of the TT behind me.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I think at some point you have to realize what you have; 800 or more lbs. jumping up and down on the very back end (actually past the back) of your 1/2 ton (light sprung) truck. Air bags will help. Add a leaf will help. Stiffer tires help. But, at the end of the day you have a lightly sprung truck. I've been through the same thing more than once. Ultimate solution? A bigger HD truck.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Tbos

2X on the LT tires and increased load range on the TT tires. Running 1/3 to half full FW tank also helped. Equalizer 10K hitch was dialed in. Stiffer shocks on the TV might help too. I didn't have too much of an issue with my 2810 behind the 1500 I had. I had it set up like above except I didn't have the stiffer shocks. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
Mandtra

Thanks for the suggestions , I just ordered a airlift airbag kit . I will install them this weekend and try that first

Old 04-13-2017, 03:07 AM   #7
notanlines

Michael, I think Sourdough's suggestion of tires is probably a better solution. But the airbags should at least help. In the end you're still driving a half ton.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 AM   #8
Double b

We upgraded to a 2500 Silverado because of this bouncing. We pull a 303TG Laredo. Trailer weight was 7200lb dry. Every expansion joint in the road or overpass.

With the trade-in deals right now, and it being truck month, might be a good idea. Hell my 2500 is only 5 month's old, and the dealer is already calling to seeing if they can get it traded in. They are grabbing anything they can and sending them to the states. They are offering me more than what I paid due to the exchange. Supposedly there is a law in the states that they can not export the trucks from Canada into the states unless it is 6 months old or 15000km on it. After that it is free game.

Might be an idea. And no, I do not work for a dealer. I work for a parts supplier. And I, helped design the interior trim of the truck and supply the plastic parts to Chevy.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #9
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double b View Post
We upgraded to a 2500 Silverado because of this bouncing. We pull a 303TG Laredo. Trailer weight was 7200lb dry. Every expansion joint in the road or overpass.

With the trade-in deals right now, and it being truck month, might be a good idea. Hell my 2500 is only 5 month's old, and the dealer is already calling to seeing if they can get it traded in. They are grabbing anything they can and sending them to the states. They are offering me more than what I paid due to the exchange. Supposedly there is a law in the states that they can not export the trucks from Canada into the states unless it is 6 months old or 15000km on it. After that it is free game.

Might be an idea. And no, I do not work for a dealer. I work for a parts supplier. And I, helped design the interior trim of the truck and supply the plastic parts to Chevy.
This practise is good for US buyers but not so for us Canucks when trying to buy used. We are currently looking to trade our 2013 Ram (Bighorn 1500 5.7 8spd full load 70kms) up to a '14 '15 used 3/4 ton. It's not the wholesale value they offer for our trade that irks me but the difference that is asked. When I try to negotiate I'm told "take it or leave we can sell any of these 3/4 tons that we can get to US buyers". This from many dealers we have tried in the Calgary area. Hopefully our lowly Loonie gets back up closer to par with the Greenback. In the meantime.
Sorry for venting.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #10
BuxCamper

I've heard more than once that the sticker price is what you'll pay here in the states, no negotiating. If you don't want to pay, the next person will and there will be a next person within a day.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
I've heard more than once that the sticker price is what you'll pay here in the states, no negotiating. If you don't want to pay, the next person will and there will be a next person within a day.
There are plenty of deals to be made on pickups in the States... sticker price ain't even...
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
mfifield01

When do you get the bouncing?

I haven't noticed weight on my 1500. I've had a full tank of water and empty, but don't notice much difference. I do have the factory air suspension and LT tires. I do notice wind.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandtra View Post
Thanks for the suggestions , I just ordered a airlift airbag kit . I will install them this weekend and try that first

Make sure you run your current P series tires at max air pressure. If you aren't that may contribute to bounce too.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that your weight distribution bars are "essentially a spring" that ties your tow vehicle to the trailer, making it "one big spring" from the rear axle on the tow vehicle to the front axle on the trailer. That "big spring" is going to "bow and flex" with every expansion gap on a concrete highway and with every undulation on a blacktopped highway. Increasing the tension on your weight distribution bars will probably "tighten the spring" and make things worse. Increasing the air pressure in the tires on your tow vehicle will help take the flex out of the suspension, but depending on the wheelbase of your vehicle, the flexibility in the vehicle springs, the distance between the vehicle axle and the trailer axle, there may be very little you can do to eliminate the flexing that is being felt as bouncing.

In that situation, you may find that replacing the vehicle is your only alternative short of "just living with it like it is"..... I'd try experimenting with different WD bar settings, maximum air pressure in the tow vehicle tires and different towing speeds on the highway. But, in all probability, a heavier sprung tow vehicle with a different length wheelbase is going to be your answer. I wouldn't consider another tow vehicle of the same wheelbase, even if it is a larger payload or a larger GVW. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on vehicle modifications since they very likely won't make a significant difference and might well be "good money toward a bad solution"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
Javi

After putting LT tires, and air bags on my F150 and pulling my 2890RL Passport I fix the bouncing... with an F250.... ... less than a year later I bought a 333MKS 5th wheel because I had a bigger truck... 5 months later I bought a dually...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Just finished up a trip pulling the trailer about 850 miles on I 84. I do have a bigger truck than needed but, never once had a bounce or sway from the trailer. We were lucky in that very little wind was in the Columbia gorge. Mostly traveled at 63 to 65 on cruise control. Several times passed 2 or 3 18 wheelers and went up to 75 plus to do that. It really was a nice relaxed drive.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
snipped ... I bought a 333MKS 5th wheel because I had a bigger truck... 5 months later I bought a dually...

Hmmmm sounds very familiar [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #18
Mandtra

Bouncing and more bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
When do you get the bouncing?

I haven't noticed weight on my 1500. I've had a full tank of water and empty, but don't notice much difference. I do have the factory air suspension and LT tires. I do notice wind.

It bounces when I hit a dip in the road , or uneven surface . If I lessen the tension on the bars the bounce is better , but the sway gets worse and when I tighten the bars with more tension the sway disappears , but I get the bounce . The odd thing is that with the bars tight and trailer connected I can push down with one hand on the truck bumper and bounce it like a basketball . It really does not take much pressure to make the back of the truck and front of the trailer go up and down . It really seems to me that it's the truck springs causing the movement . That's why I hope the airbags will stiffen up the rear of the truck . After the airbags I'm thinking of upgrading the shocks

Old 04-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

I don't think your WDH is your problem. Sounds like it's the suspension/tires of your TV. If you don't opt for a HD truck you need to look into heavier tires in addition to the air bags (if you don't already have LT tires).
Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #20
66joej

Sorry don't know details of your truck but if it doesn't have the heavy duty suspension package you might look at installing heavy duty shocks. Something like Bilsteins.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote