Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
marcortez

Magnadyne OEM installed radios

Looking for any feedback on a Magnadyne stereo system mounted as OEM on a Passport trailer I have my sights set on.

The model # is RV5090
marcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the owner's manual here: http://app.magnadyne.com/dashboard/a...ual_Manual.pdf

It is available at Amazon for $119, so it's not an "audiophile's dream system"... Keep in mind that it's a "low bid component" installed with Keystone profit margin being one of (if not THE) main motivations for choosing that model.

You can read the Amazon reviews online at: https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-RV5...ews/B00FL51SDC

Good news is that it does have IPOD, Bluetooth and USB capability, so you should be able to adapt some type of SIRIUS radio system to it, but you'll need an "add on" radio as there is no SIRIUS capability in the unit. I don't know of very many RV radio systems that do include SIRIUS capability built into the unit and I don't know of any Keystone brands that have a SIRIUS radio as OEM.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
marcortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can download the owner's manual here: http://app.magnadyne.com/dashboard/a...ual_Manual.pdf

It is available at Amazon for $119, so it's not an "audiophile's dream system"... Keep in mind that it's a "low bid component" installed with Keystone profit margin being one of (if not THE) main motivations for choosing that model.

You can read the Amazon reviews online at: https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-RV5...ews/B00FL51SDC

Good news is that it does have IPOD, Bluetooth and USB capability, so you should be able to adapt some type of SIRIUS radio system to it, but you'll need an "add on" radio as there is no SIRIUS capability in the unit. I don't know of very many RV radio systems that do include SIRIUS capability built into the unit and I don't know of any Keystone brands that have a SIRIUS radio as OEM.
Thank you.....I have seen the user's manual and the Amazon reviews.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any specs.
I can only assume this radio setup operates on 12V but cannot confirm that.

I talked at length just yesterday with Sirius....not much help on getting a Sirius receiver, plus the vehicle install kit to work with my "home" system Sirius radio. I had wanted to take the "home" receiver off and use that for the camper system. No can do!!
I would have to get another subscription to run a new Sirius receiver.....as the receiver I have now is not compatible with the vehicle dock that is included because it's a XM system.
Seems I am stuck with the "home" boombox setup.

Mind boggling.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Tbos

I have a different model radio but it has a Bluetooth capability. That might help you.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcortez View Post
Thank you.....I have seen the user's manual and the Amazon reviews.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any specs.
I can only assume this radio setup operates on 12V but cannot confirm that.

I talked at length just yesterday with Sirius....not much help on getting a Sirius receiver, plus the vehicle install kit to work with my "home" system Sirius radio. I had wanted to take the "home" receiver off and use that for the camper system. No can do!!
I would have to get another subscription to run a new Sirius receiver.....as the receiver I have now is not compatible with the vehicle dock that is included because it's a XM system.
Seems I am stuck with the "home" boombox setup.
Mind boggling.
The radio input power is 12 VDC (as indicated in the owner's manual <on page 29> that I linked in my previous post). Nearly all radio systems installed in "modern day RV's" allow for "dry camping use" on battery power. There are some that feature sound bars, sub-woofers and features that require shore power, but none of those are in the Passport line.

As for being "stuck with a home boombox setup", the radio has four optional input connections. There is a 3.5mm input jack, a USB input and Bluetooth and you'll also find RCA audio input terminals on the rear of the radio. If your current SIRIUS radio has an audio output or a "headphone out" terminal, you can find a cable to connect it to one of the multiple input connections on your RV system. The problem you'll find is installing an outside antenna on your RV. You'll probably find it necessary the further south you travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
MattHelm21

If you are ok with the investment, something like this might work:

https://shop.siriusxm.com/onyx-plus-vehicle.html

This system can have a home dock for your home stereo and a vehicle dock which can use an aux port in the RV. They also have a boom-box speaker attachment which is compatible. You might have to figure out how to get the antenna on the roof in the RV but it would likely let you cancel one of your subscriptions. I haven't used this system myself but I did have very good success with a similar one(3-4 years ago) in an SUV with their vehicle kit and the window antenna.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
marcortez

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
If you are ok with the investment, something like this might work:

https://shop.siriusxm.com/onyx-plus-vehicle.html

This system can have a home dock for your home stereo and a vehicle dock which can use an aux port in the RV. They also have a boom-box speaker attachment which is compatible. You might have to figure out how to get the antenna on the roof in the RV but it would likely let you cancel one of your subscriptions. I haven't used this system myself but I did have very good success with a similar one(3-4 years ago) in an SUV with their vehicle kit and the window antenna.
Thanks Matt......I have been down this very road just today.

I have 2 subscriptions as it is now.....A OEM Ford truck radio and a "home" system that includes the boombox, a receiver, AC power cord with a "brick" and a folding antenna.

What I was hoping to do, without adding yet another subscription, is to (when needed) take off the receiver from the boombox and use that one for the RV with the purchase of a vehicle kit.

Now comes the rub.....the CS agent for Sirius told me the older receiver I have is not compatible with a newer vehicle kit.....something about one is a Sirius and one is XM......and different manufacturers.

The folding style antenna has served me well as it "shoots" through glass windows fine and does not seem to concerned with orientation to the sky.
I have had very few problems propping up that antenna along a window edge so it shoots out a window.

I cannot verify if a new dock kit is not compatible with my older receiver.
I would buy a new receiver with an included vehicle dock but can't do that without a subscription.

I haven't given up just yet.....surely there is a solution to use one receiver in two different locations.

A little further digging on the Sirius site says I can transfer an existing receiver to a new vehicle.
Still trying to determine if I can do that with the home system as well.
Another phone call is in the cards evidently.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
MattHelm21

Ah, I see now. Then, if you have a streak of the gambler in you, you might search eBay for a vehicle kit for the XM unit you have. The only rub is some of the older XM vehicle kits I've used have connected to the vehicle radio via the automotive antenna input or an FM station which reduced the audio quality considerably.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

Man, I had a roady XM radio, home dock & antenna, car dock and a remote that I chucked a while back, after I ditched XM.

Maybe you could find one of those and get rid of your current boom-box setup?

It was not a bad radio (well it did sound like crap on my home system so I kept it in the car), just XM pissed me off, so they are dead to me now.

With a 10,000+ CD collection, I am never without music

-Brian

Tags
led, radio