Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
montanajoe

tire twist

hello, we use our 5thwheel about 8 or 9 times a year. when I back into my driveway I make a real sharp turn and the tires really twist a lot. my question is , if I wet the road first with the garden hose, do you think it would help the tires slip a little? also very excited, tomorrow 12/12/13 we get our new 2014 Montana 3625RE. and there is 4" of snow on the ground and it will be 26 degrees. but I just want to get it home and cover it up for the winter.
well thank you for any help with the tire twist. stay warm
montanajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There is a thread currently running on the forum with almost the same concern. It's about backing up a 41' triple axle. Check out that thread - it is posted here today - for suggestions on how to avoid that twisting.

Check the 5th wheel forum and look for "Backing up a 41' 3 axle" submitted by cmemx1.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Montanajoe,

Congratulations on your new RV !!! I'm sure your excitement will keep you awake until it's home and parked where you can see it's safe and secure...

Picking it up in snow with sub freezing temps will probably mean that the roads will be salted as you tow it home. Don't leave the underside dirty with salt slush on the exposed metal and cover it up. The combination of salt and moisture will make for a probable "ugly surprise" in the spring !!!!

If you can, get the bottom washed and let it dry before you cover it for the rest of the winter.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Montanajoe,

Congratulations on your new RV !!! I'm sure your excitement will keep you awake until it's home and parked where you can see it's safe and secure...

Picking it up in snow with sub freezing temps will probably mean that the roads will be salted as you tow it home. Don't leave the underside dirty with salt slush on the exposed metal and cover it up. The combination of salt and moisture will make for a probable "ugly surprise" in the spring !!!!

If you can, get the bottom washed and let it dry before you cover it for the rest of the winter.....
X2- I made the mistake of driving a brand new rig home on the salt and paid for it. If you do have to drive on wet roads (I recommend waiting until a day when the roads are dry). Immediately wash the underside with hose to remove all salt. Congrats and good luck.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanajoe View Post
hello, we use our 5thwheel about 8 or 9 times a year. when I back into my driveway I make a real sharp turn and the tires really twist a lot. my question is , if I wet the road first with the garden hose, do you think it would help the tires slip a little? also very excited, tomorrow 12/12/13 we get our new 2014 Montana 3625RE. and there is 4" of snow on the ground and it will be 26 degrees. but I just want to get it home and cover it up for the winter.
well thank you for any help with the tire twist. stay warm
We've also a very tight backing up turn that I've got to hit exactly right to negotiate. Don't know as I'd want to have the tires slip at all, because the ones steering the trailer would slip also and then I probably couldn't make it. That tire flex is why I went with truck tires vs. trailer ones - more flexible sidewalls. Don't have any hard evidence, but I think it backs up better than before.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
abneynormal

personally

I would ditch the tires right off the bat. I had 5000 miles and blew 3 tires. I went to light truck tires. they have tougher standards than trailer tires and a higher speed rating. st tires are need usually in 2 axle applications where weight is a problem. my3912 has 3 axles and fully loaded with 2 motorcycles puts 14000 lbs on 6 tires rated just over 3000 lbs. so im good.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
montanajoe

tire twist

thank you for all your ideas. I like the idea of a stronger sidewall tire. 3 years ago on my Everest, I had a slow leak in one of my tires( I thought) but it turned out to be a cracked rim on the inside. don't know if the tire twist had anything to do with it , but keystone made good and got me a new one. thank you again for all your comments.
montanajoe is offline   Reply With Quote