Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
Thank you Michael. I believe you are correct. A good dealer that will go to bat for you is the real secret to a positive RV experience.
From what I have read in this forum regarding Keystone:

1) That is true, there are precious few of them and,
2) It is more true of a home purchase, which isn't going anywhere. I don't think Keystone has ANY sort of network to cover on the road repairs that is worth a hoot.

Bottom line seems to be that if you buy you RV from a good dealer and can always take your problems to them, you might be OK. Otherwise, you are screwed.....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
SAABDOCTOR

HI So far my lippert slide has yet to spit me out on the sidewalk. my frame has not failed. so i am a happy keystone camper. everyone makes some mistakes. but over all the quality has been very good on our montana. perfect no but still very good
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
azlee56

I love our Montana. It is sturdy in high wind and roomy enough to keep me happy. I am happy with the way it is made too. It is 2008, and yes screws need tightening here or there, but shoot the thing vibrates down the road. I am glad we went this way in our purchase.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
rayjoanlough

Hey all while not raytronix I have pulled my Cougar 278RS around the paremeter of tis great country and have had no frame problems. Only problem was a blowout on tow rig at 60 mph at Minneapolis-St. Paul at knocking off time. Weather was 95 degrees and 95% hunidity. THAT will wake ya up in a hurry!
rayjoanlo
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
antiqfreq

Our fiver was bought new, it is a 2007, and we traveled the country for a year and many, many more before and after that.

No frame problem, no slide problem, just basicly no problems that my DH couldn't handle himself......

Very happy with ours - will definitely get another Keystone - IF we ever need too!

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
webslave

You know, you can fret and worry about almost all of the components in an RV...Refrigerators, A/C units, water heaters, microwaves, gensets, and the frames; they've all had "serious issues" based on anecdotal and factual reporting on the web.

Your safest bet? Stay home and sit on the porch. Anything dragged all over the countryside, on some roads that would make a 3rd world country look advanced, and things are going to go wrong, it is the nature of the beast. Since, probably, 95% of all towables are now riding on Lippert frames, you are not going to get away from any "perceived" wide spread frame problems and, IMHO, there isn't any "wide spread problem" with them or their would be recalls and Lippert would be in the tank.

I've got some 100,000+ miles total on several trailers, all with Lippert frames and never had an issue. I don't overload them and I don't try to convert a 5th wheel to gooseneck, but, while there are many brands of RVs I wouldn't buy, none are on that list because they sit on Lippert frames. BTW, we love our Cougar 318SAB and it sits on a Lippert frame that I don't even have the first worry about.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
Bugle Boy

"Your safest bet? Stay home and sit on the porch. Anything dragged all over the countryside, on some roads that would make a 3rd world country look advanced, and things are going to go wrong, it is the nature of the beast."

Well said Don. Frequent and good inspections, and that would include inspections while in storage, would find many problems before they become expensive.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post
Frequent and good inspections, and that would include inspections while in storage, would find many problems before they become expensive.
Drivers that drive everyday do a pre and post trip inspection. This is very valuable. I preach to our drivers, myself included, do these inspections and your time on the side of the interstate will be greatly reduced. It is amazing the things you will see if you get in a habit of looking at your trailer. If you look often enough, the small issues will be " out of place" and allow you to catch it before it becomes a big deal!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
wva3185

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
Drivers that drive everyday do a pre and post trip inspection. This is very valuable. I preach to our drivers, myself included, do these inspections and your time on the side of the interstate will be greatly reduced. It is amazing the things you will see if you get in a habit of looking at your trailer. If you look often enough, the small issues will be " out of place" and allow you to catch it before it becomes a big deal!!
I go around my RV about every day even when it is sitting for months at a time.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #30
jol

Like I tell my neighbor when I get back "guess if I towed my house down the road something would need repaired too"