Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Bugsmema

Thumbs down 2011 Outback 295

Hi all, bought this trailer new, used it one time 3 yrs ago in August. Had family problems so didn't get to use it since then. Problems settled now so we took it out this past weekend. Have the Jensen TV/DVD combo pop up TV in the front room. Can't get the DVD to work. No Manuel for it either. Not sure what source it should be on to play DVDs. Can anyone please help? Also, dining table has warped. Any idea if we can buy the Formica from keystone and make our own top? Pretty disappointed by some of the workmanship on the inside and unfortunately, the warranty's up. Formica trim in front of the sink has popped lose. Took it in and they told me the trim had been cut to short so can't pop it back in. They could replace the counter top for me at my cost. Told them no, what's another option. They glued it down and charged me $250.00. Hope it holds but not counting on it. Anyone else having these issues?
Thanks for reading and for any response!
Bugsmema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You may have to bypass Keystone when trying to get replacement Formica for the table top. I doubt very much if they would still have it in stock and on the chance that they did, you could end up paying far too much for it - shipping, etc. Your best bet might be to go to Home Depot or similar and try to get a close match of pattern and colour.

There has been the odd case of warping on the dining room table but that doesn't seem to be a common issue amongst forum members.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Bugsmema

Outback 295

Thanks for the reply Festus. I was thinking it might be cheaper to go to Home Depot, or something like that. It has so many colors in it I'm sure I can find something that will compliment the rest. The Formica on the TV was warped also but that was caught and repaired under warranty.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
ktmracer

our DVD player work in our 295RE. Turn on the Jensen stereo and insert a DVD it should start automatically. Then the next thing to do is select the proper input on the Jensen TV. In ours it is Aux 1. then set the Jensen radio to aux 1 if you want to listen through the stereo and not the tv.

As to the formica. I haven't found the identical match at home depot etc. but there are close matches. I also haven't found a source for the rubber molding, let alone any that matches the formica.

However, I have ordered drawers, drawer fronts and the wood grained molding etc. from keystone to make install a set of drawers under the bed. I recently asked my dealer about formica and the rubber formica molding. They said they could get it from Keystone. Formica may only be available in 4 x 8 sheets so shipping could be expensive.

I'm looking to make the bath countertop bigger and may end up ordering formica from the dealer once i find prices.

Why does the tabletop warp?? Well, the most common reason is no formica on the underside of the tabletop. w/o formica on both sides it warps as it absorbs moisture. The solution is to dry it out to get it flat, then put formica on the underside. The independent formica shops sell formica just for this purpose. it is very cheap, basically it is formica seconds that are run through a sander to scuff up the to surface and make it unsatisfactory for normal use. I have sheets of it that I use when I make up anything with formica on the top, just glue this on the bottom side.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're thinking about ordering "big items" from the dealer, you can usually get "free shipping" if you can wait for the next RV being delivered to the dealer. I needed to replace the coroplast under my RV (it didn't have any on the back half, only where the tanks were located up front) and needed about 30'. Shipping was well over $100 if I wanted it soon. The parts manager told me he would just have it put in the next RV coming from Keystone if I could wait. I asked how long it would take, he said he wasn't sure but probably not long. Well, I ordered it, and we left on our 3 week central states vacation last July, by the time we got home, it was at the dealers waiting for me. Free shipping.

Check and see if your parts manager will work with you the same way..... Could be a money saver if he will.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
geo

Yes, JRTJH is quite correct. I had two recliners and a couch shipped down from northern Indiana in this same manner - next delivered RV. Pays to be patient, very hard for me to usually do!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're thinking about ordering "big items" from the dealer, you can usually get "free shipping" if you can wait for the next RV being delivered to the dealer. I needed to replace the coroplast under my RV (it didn't have any on the back half, only where the tanks were located up front) and needed about 30'. Shipping was well over $100 if I wanted it soon. The parts manager told me he would just have it put in the next RV coming from Keystone if I could wait. I asked how long it would take, he said he wasn't sure but probably not long. Well, I ordered it, and we left on our 3 week central states vacation last July, by the time we got home, it was at the dealers waiting for me. Free shipping.

Check and see if your parts manager will work with you the same way..... Could be a money saver if he will.
that's what i did when I ordered drawers and a couple of sheets of the wood grained luan plywood and some wood trim strips. As long as your not in a hurry, it's a great way to save $$$.

My dealer has been very helpful in ordering parts I wanted to do some upgrades that would look like factory. And the prices were pretty reasonable.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Bugsmema

Wow!!

I love this forum! Thanks for all the replys about my table top warping and how to get the DVD to work. I did go out and tried that aux on the DVD and it worked, so thanks for that.
So the moisture is what made my table top warp! No idea but it sure makes sense. I'll check and see if I can find some of that Formica at the shops around town. Woohoo! Two problems fixed. Can I try one more? Does anyone have a easy solution for making the not so walk around bed every day? I shortened up a set of queen sheets to make them fit, but sure hate the fight every morning of trying to make that bed. Hubby thought just throwing a sleeping bag on top would work. I love sheets. Any suggestions on this one?
You guys rock!!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Two possibilities that I can think of, neither of which is "perfect" for all situations:

First: sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet along the foot of the bed and about 2' up each side. That will make "sort of a sleeping bag" and you can then just "toss the top covers" up each morning to keep the bedroom neat.

Second: sew a sheet into a sleeping bag liner and do what your husband suggested, only with "your sheet" inside.....

OK, I'll go back to my room now.........................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Bugsmema

Jrtjh

Thank you so much for the two ideas! Much appreciated, and yes, please go to your room!!
Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsmema View Post
I love this forum! Thanks for all the replys about my table top warping and how to get the DVD to work. I did go out and tried that aux on the DVD and it worked, so thanks for that.
So the moisture is what made my table top warp! No idea but it sure makes sense. I'll check and see if I can find some of that Formica at the shops around town. Woohoo! Two problems fixed. Can I try one more? Does anyone have a easy solution for making the not so walk around bed every day? I shortened up a set of queen sheets to make them fit, but sure hate the fight every morning of trying to make that bed. Hubby thought just throwing a sleeping bag on top would work. I love sheets. Any suggestions on this one?
You guys rock!!
on making the bed. yes, the top is hard. What we did is use Queen sheets, DON'T cut them down shorter, the bottom fitted sheet should fit ok, then wrap the extra few inches from the top sheet way under the bed. Do the same with blankets, wrap the extra underneath. DW even added about a extra foot to the bedspread and wraps it underneath. Everything stays better and easier to make.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
. DW even added about a extra foot to the bedspread and wraps it underneath. Everything stays better and easier to make.

We did pretty much the same as described above except the "extra foot" was added onto the comforter rather than the bedspread.