Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
I have had both over the years. When I was pulling a TT with a 1500 I put in the Timbren bump stops. They worked great under load but made the ride rougher when not under load as the axle would impact the stops more frequently then when the factory stops were there.

Now I have airbags and they are fantastic.

Would recommended air bags.
I had the bump stops with the same results, great while towing but bone jarring when unhitched, especially over speed bumps.
Would do air bags the next time with the onboard compressor.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

I've never used Timberens or the like but have used and currently use air bags. I have train horns so I have a 12vdc compressor and air tank in the truck bed for that. I installed two 12vdc solenoid air valves in the air bag lines. One to inflate and one to deflate. Ran the power wires for the solenoids to momentary push buttons at the tailgate and under the driver's dash with air guages at both locations.

The reason for the two locations? When hitching/unhitching I can run up the pressure thus raising the hitch. This makes connecting/ removing WDH bars quick and easy standing behind the truck. From the driver's seat I can back under the hitch (confirmed in the camera I installed) and raise the ball into the coupler. Makes hitching up very simple. Then while driving I can adjust air pressure for road conditions.

A footnote: it bears repeating, these. devices DO NOT INCREASE LOAD CAPACITY BUT RATHER DECREASE IT BY THE AMOUNT THAT THEY WEIGH.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote