Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #1
Cougar Jim

Ram info center beeps

2018 2500 6.7 Ram

Just after turning 50k on the odometer the 8.4” information center beeps rapidly 7 or 8 times upon starting. There aren’t any stored messages in the dash display.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this?
Cougar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Jim View Post
2018 2500 6.7 Ram

Just after turning 50k on the odometer the 8.4” information center beeps rapidly 7 or 8 times upon starting. There aren’t any stored messages in the dash display.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this?
DEF sensor needs resetting? I don't have a truck that uses DEF so not sure but that seems to be common issue on the 6.7 RAM.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #3
rhagfo

while it is beeping, do you see any messages on the display, or instrument panel?? Might Cumminsforum or Turbo Diesel Registry.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
Cougar Jim

Don’t see any messages. All I need to do is turn key to on without starting the engine and the display beeps. Could it be something to do with maintenance at the 50k mileage. I’m RVing for 10 weeks this summer and not too many Ram dealers around.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sure it is telling you something about mtce. There should be something in the EVIC telling you or a flashing icon. If you can't see it read the manual and I'm sure you can find it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:37 PM   #6
Cougar Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm sure it is telling you something about mtce. There should be something in the EVIC telling you or a flashing icon. If you can't see it read the manual and I'm sure you can find it.
Spent an hour going thru the manual and there isn’t a required maintenance at 50k. I now have over 52k and all is well. I plan to find a Ram dealer next week here in WY.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
Alpine

Google - Ram 8.4 Uconnect issues... problems.... not working, etc etc etc and you will find hours of reading!

I had these issues that started with the gps not being accurate of my location. Then the screen would shut down and restart every 4-minutes on the dot! Then it would completly drain both batteries in just a day if I didn't drive it! I had to disconnet both batteries after driving!

Thousands of owners are not getting help or a fix as you will find! I was a lucky one that the dealer I went to was very understanding and ordered me a new one and installed it! This was just in January of this year! Now just today I noticed the screen flashed bright white twice while driving! Hopfully it was just a fluke.... we'll see!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #8
jfk69

I loved everything about my 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie. Except that 8.4” info center. There was about a thousand times I wanted to put my fist through it. Had many quirks, but the worst were the random blue screens of death. Then it would take 10 minutes to reboot. That was more frequent when Apple CarPlay was involved. You can try disconnecting the ground from the battery(ies) for an hour to fully discharge every capacitor in the vehicle then hook it back up. That would usually cure it for me for a month or so before it would start again.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:02 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
I loved everything about my 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie. Except that 8.4” info center. There was about a thousand times I wanted to put my fist through it. Had many quirks, but the worst were the random blue screens of death. Then it would take 10 minutes to reboot. That was more frequent when Apple CarPlay was involved. You can try disconnecting the ground from the battery(ies) for an hour to fully discharge every capacitor in the vehicle then hook it back up. That would usually cure it for me for a month or so before it would start again.
Maybe they Windows ME as the platform for the info center?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:23 AM   #10
Cougar Jim

Thanks for the last three replies. Is guess my problem is small compared to what you guys have posted. I use Apple car play for my map directions and it works perfectly. No blackouts no blue screens no nothing except 6 or 8 beeps when I start or turn the key to the on position. It seems most of the problems I read about are on newer models than my 2018.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

My 2014 8.4 never gave me a hiccup. I did not however add any "apps" or run anything on it other than what it came with....I did have them upgrade it at purchase to a nav unit vs non nav (software). This one has the 12", what looks like a TV, screen. It's really too big. I was pondering ordering a new truck with the 8.4 but looks like that's not a good idea.....
Old 07-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #12
Cougar Jim

ME BAD !!
Ram dealer here in Cody, WY wouldn’t even come to hear it and sent me to Auto Zone to have them read a code. Auto Zone was nicer than the dealer and came to the truck with his code reader. Before hooking up he turned the key on to listen and right then solved my problem. The beeps were coming from my Garmin Dash Camera right next to the 8” info center. It was telling me to reformat the memory card!!! ME BAD!
Old 07-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
ME BAD !!
Ram dealer here in Cody, WY wouldn’t even come to hear it and sent me to Auto Zone to have them read a code. Auto Zone was nicer than the dealer and came to the truck with his code reader. Before hooking up he turned the key on to listen and right then solved my problem. The beeps were coming from my Garmin Dash Camera right next to the 8” info center. It was telling me to reformat the memory card!!! ME BAD!

This reminds me of a very recent embarrassing situation. DW came to me and said out back door/yard security camera was doing some odd "chirp" - it's not supposed to. Sounded like a low battery chirp but it is hardwired. Decided to take it apart and couldn't find a way short of breaking the cover. Called the support folks and sure enough the installer had put it up with the tiny screw to release the cover next to the wall trim leaving no access to the inside or the screws holding it.....and it continued to chirp. Camera appeared to be working fine, recorded fine; nothing appeared wrong but it was chirping.

Finally called the company for an onsite tech visit, got a little "testy" when they told me an extended time to come out and they sent a guy the next day. He arrived, said it sounded like a low battery chirp to which I agreed, but, he said, it doesn't have batteries. Decided to take it off which then amounted to it being pried off. As it chirped he said it didn't sound like it was coming directly from that camera and did I have something else installed around there. Nope, it's gotta be that camera. He decided he would replace it so took it off and went to get a new one in his truck. "Chirp"! DW and I looked at each other then I started looking on the back porch. Right there, on top of a decorative water hose reel was a sealed up cardboard box; the box said "ADT". I asked where that came from and she told me she had boxed up the old security stuff and put it out there so I could take it to the shop. Started opening the box and "chirp". Now I'm feeling like a 2" tall dipstick as I look inside at the old smoke detectors, with old batteries in them...."chirp". Pulled them out of the box, ripped the covers off and pulled out the batteries....no more chirp. The tech was very understanding, installed a new camera and left smiling. I on the other hand was deflated; bamboozled by a boxed smoke alarm and I guess degraded hearing. Dang, and I had just told her I was "good as I once was"...... Don't know why I shared that, I think I'm depressed again.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
ME BAD !!
Dealer did you a favor sending you to Autozone..had you stayed you might have ended up paying for a new infotainment display …2018 is out of warranty i’d imagine ..or just a giant diagnostic bill to tell you it’s the Garmin