Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Larrydfuller

To slide or not to slide .....

We are getting close to buying our Cougar 327 RES and are getting mixed reactions to a specific question. With the Cougars contoured end cap, do you need to spend the extra money for a slider hitch for a Ram 2500 6 1/2 foot short bed?....I don't want any unexpected "OOPS" moments later on lol.
Larrydfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Jim W

To me a slider hitch is like insurance; nice to have when you need it.

I have had the same slider hitch on two different short bed pick-up trucks and I have used this slider hitch several times when backing in to real tight spots. But the slider hitch is not required when pulling the 5er in locally traffic and on the highways.

Remember once you buy this hitch you will always have it and will not have to buy a second hitch to replace the fixed hitch after you damage the cab/and or trailer. There are two different types of people that pull a 5er with a short bed truck. The first one has hit his cab at least once and uses a slider hitch now and the other user who will hit his cab some day in the future and doesn’t use a slider hitch as of yet.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
msp2jxr

I agree with JimW. Most of the time you don't need it. I use my slider hitch when the ground is uneven and the camp site is tight. I notice when backing the trailer in to a tight camping spot you can drop the inside trailer tire in the ditch and it will pitch the corner of the trailer into your cab. Suddenly that 2 or three inch cushion you had between the cab and trailer is gone. I recomend the slider. I was in the same boat you were in three years ago and went ahead and bought the slider. I don't regret my decision. Jay
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Handysam

Yes agree with the slide for insurance. We have the 327 and for the most part never use the slide hitch. The only time I used it was when it was new just to try it. I've gotten to the point of knowing my limits in turning radius and therefore don't use it. However it's there if I need it.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
mhs4771

If we all camped in a perfect CG you'd be fine. As long as everything is perfectly level you can make those tight jack-knife turns, but since it not a perfect world and some CGs are anything but level. Get the slider now rather than after replacing your back window.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
webslave

I'm pulling a 318SAB with a Ram 2500 CTD Long Horn Laramie short bed. With my stock pin box and a B&W Companion hitch, I could get the "advertised" 88 degree turn with no problem. With the addition of my Tri-Glide TrailAir pinbox (longer extension), I can actually go beyond the 90 degree point. Fact of the matter is, though, with our 318SAB's length (with bikes) and its height with the second AC (12' 8"), I don't do the "tight", "unlevel" camping any longer and I've never needed more than about 60 degrees to get into the tightest commercial campgrounds that I've encountered and I'm not a big fan of the torqueing that goes on with the suspension when you start getting into that right angle turning. With the length and height I'm at, if a MH can get into a spot, so can I and I can do it without a slider.

So... You can get the slider for peace of mind and quite possibly never use it, or if you are planning on camping in areas where you'll have to back between two close trees across a ditch you'll need it, but, to tow your unit into 99.9% of the commercially available campsites, no, it isn't necessary and for that .1%, you can pick another site or another campground. Bottom line is you'll need to think hard about what type of camping you plan on doing with that 5er; there used to be a "pat" answer of "short bed, you'll need a slider", but, with today's sculpted nose pieces, that is no longer true...you have a wider choice of hitches when you can choose between all of them instead of just a handful of slider types.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Larrydfuller

Thanks for all the great advice...decisions,decisions....lol
Larrydfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
byrdr1

All I can tell you that is one nice camper you are looking at or buying. I have long bed truck so I cant answer the slider hitch questions.
BUT the Cougar 327RES questions I can help with.
If you have any, ask away.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
fred1609

I have a slider hitch for my short box F350. I havent used it yet, but I'm glad its there.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
blackty

I bought a slider with my first 5er and only used it once(when it was new and needed to try it). Haven't used it since. There are a few of us 327 owners here if you need help. Enjoy...Jim