Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #1
Jack1938

Newbie Question

Don't have an RV yet but seriously considering it but here is a question I would like to know. If we left Middle Tennessee going to points West say Arizona and we got tired of traveling and wanted to stay somewhere for a few days would we have problems finding a park where we could make reservations. The reason I ask this is my neighbor bought a new camper this last spring and started to travel but could not find a park anywhere that had available spaces....In case all parks were full where we wanted to stay is there anywhere else that will let you park for a day or two like Walmart?....Thanks for any info.....Jack
Jack1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:43 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The questions you pose are so open ended as to be unanswerable. There are so many variables it would be pointless to guess. You need to know your route and dates, or at least close. Some area never get full and you can just drive in any time you want, some places stay packed year round and require lots of preplanning and reservations far in advance (a year or more).

As far as stopping in a Walmart; some do/will, some don't/won't; I won't. Some Walmarts will let you park while more and more of them are putting up signs that prohibit semis and RVs due to what I perceive as abuse.

Again, planning IMO is what prevents unseen, unwanted surprises and that's what I do. Some like traveling without a plan and that's part of the fun of it so spending the night in a roadside park is OK/fun. All depends on what you like or want.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:38 AM   #3
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
johnnybadger

Jack,

There are apps that you can download that give you the ability to research RV sites that exist throughout the country. I use one called “RV Trip Wizard”, there are others that you can try. Once you zero in on a site, you can reach out and see if they have availability. I have been out and about for about a year no, and have never been skunked when it comes to finding an available site. I would recommend that you download it, test drive it, and see all its features. I think it will address your concerns.

John
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1938 View Post
Don't have an RV yet but seriously considering it but here is a question I would like to know. If we left Middle Tennessee going to points West say Arizona and we got tired of traveling and wanted to stay somewhere for a few days would we have problems finding a park where we could make reservations. The reason I ask this is my neighbor bought a new camper this last spring and started to travel but could not find a park anywhere that had available spaces....In case all parks were full where we wanted to stay is there anywhere else that will let you park for a day or two like Walmart?....Thanks for any info.....Jack
As the other Danny stated that's an impossible question to answer!
If your neighbor is trying to find spots at state parks through Reserve America I've found that they are ALWAYS full, but if you go into them usually have plenty of available sites. People go on RA & book sites just in case they decide to go then never show up without cancelling making sites unavailable online.
Weekends at any popular attraction it's an absolute must to have a reservation made well in advance, usually during the week it's not a problem.
As for road side rest areas or Walmarts, never have & never would unless an absolute necessity.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags