Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #41
Keystoned

Just found this as I am having the same issue. Looks like I should try the tank blaster enzymes...
Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #42
cayovelez

It worked!

It worked very . well for me. Key is to empty the black tank and fill it several times from toilet with clear water and then fill it with clear water and let it sit for a couple of days.
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #43
Keystoned

Anybody use a swivel stick type of rinser thru the toilet?
Old 01-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Anybody use a swivel stick type of rinser thru the toilet?

The PVC drain from my toilet to the black tank makes two 45 degree bends. There's no way to get a rigid shaft swivel stick down the drain. I did use one (or sometimes just a hose in the toilet) to help flush the black tank when we had a "straight shot to the black tank".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #45
Keystoned

Mine too...they make flexible ones also.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl...0006IX7YC?th=1
Old 01-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #46
Keystoned

Good news everyone...tank blaster loosened more stuff and now the spray nozzle flows a bit but is very whiney. A monotonous horn sound, quite annoying.
So I filled the black tank again this way and added another bag of tank blaster.

The bad news is that the dump valve is leaking and it is the cable actuated type.
Do I need a special replacement valve or does the regular kind adapt to the cable somehow?

While I have the floor, has anyone swapped out a black tank for a larger one? Or do they install them from above before building the flooring?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Good news everyone...tank blaster loosened more stuff and now the spray nozzle flows a bit but is very whiney. A monotonous horn sound, quite annoying.
So I filled the black tank again this way and added another bag of tank blaster.

The bad news is that the dump valve is leaking and it is the cable actuated type.
Do I need a special replacement valve or does the regular kind adapt to the cable somehow?

While I have the floor, has anyone swapped out a black tank for a larger one? Or do they install them from above before building the flooring?
Is your tank rinser factory installed? On previous FR trailer I installed a Tornado brand tank ringer. They called Tornado because the spray head would spin and throw water all over the sides of the tank. It sounded like someone was inside the tank with a weed wacker.

The dump valve should be "standard", the handle screws out of the valve and the cable screws back in it's place.

I'm not aware of how the blank tank is installed in your unit but I'm guessing John or Chuck will know and respond.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #48
LHaven

The horn sound is more common than not, and is caused by the one-way valve. You can keep swapping out one way valves until you find one that doesn't hum, but it's all luck of the draw and most of them will. It's quite possible if you move up in price you can find one designed not to do this, but most of us just live with it.

Not sure what you're asking about the dump valve -- are you asking if it would be possible to reuse your existing cable pull after you replace the bad valve? Most often you can. It's a rare dump valve that isn't cable actuated.
LHaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #49
Keystoned

Yes, no reason to believe the sprayer is not oem. The tornado one sounds like an improvement.
Good to hear that the dump valve r&r should be no problem.
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #50
Keystoned

No leaks today, I guess the enzymes cleaned the seals...here's hoping so.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #51
Keystoned

Spoke too soon of course. It didn't leak until I pulled it open so I'll probably replace both while I'm down there along with the sprayer, which is pretty anemic.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #52
chuckster57
Site Team

If the blade valve is leaking you can probably fix it by just replacing the seals. 3 styles and the valve will dictate.

Valterra BladeX- must use BladeX seals

Valterra- can use Valterra or BladeX seals

Bristol- must use Bristol seals.

Valterra is clearly molded on valve, Bristol has “waves” molded on valve. Use grease and keep valve closed when installing to prevent seals from rolling off the flanges. 7/16 on both the bolt head and nut. NOT a fun job.

If the coroplast is held on by screws, just undo as many as needed to complete the repair, that way you don’t have to tape up anything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #53
Keystoned

Thanks for the tips.
Both valves are very hard to move either way and PO did not seem to know how to use the tanks correctly, so I was thinking just start over.
I will pull at least one out today for inspection, while the weather is nice.

BTW, I have aunt and uncle who live in Modesto Ca.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #54
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah? I’ve been here since ‘98. You can try PbBlaster on the cables to loosen them up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #55
Keystoned

!@#$%, that was a B! Both valves are T'd in so hard not sure how to replace gracefully. Removal required brute force and lots of jerks. The tanks themselves would need to move at least 1/4" from each other to make it easy enough. How the hell?

Anyway, Bristol. Both are 3". Not looking forward to replacing...
Old 02-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #56
chuckster57
Site Team

I hear you loud and clear. I use two people, hold the pipe and use your feet to push on the tank. I’m laughing, but only because I’ve BTDT too many times to count. If the pipe has a bracket to the frame, take the screw at the frame off, you may get that last 1/8” you need.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #57
Keystoned

Not looking forward to it but I have two new valves on the way.
As for the tornado rinser, they have apparently changed the design and cheaped out according to recent reviews, so I'll probably pull mine and make sure it is working right and try to improve it for more flow.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #58
Keystoned

Also ordered these;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Might as well go for the low hanging fruit. Might even relocate the full sensor as it seems to be kind of far down to be full. The old sensor can be the plug...
Old 02-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #59
chuckster57
Site Team

When you replace the sensors, you’ll notice the sensor wiring is color coded. Make sure you put the right color on the right sensor.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #60
Keystoned

Good to know, thanks.

Tags
black tank, tank