Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
wix

Possible Frame Flex?

hello all. I'm new to the forum, and have a deal pending on a 2013 Raptor 300MP. We've been in a TT for years, and this will be our first 5th wheel. I'm concerned about some gaps at the radius on the generator wall to pinbox area. It looks like there are gaps in the construction, and I'm wondering if this is to be expected on an older unit such as this, or if there may be some flex happening behind the scenes. I'm adding couple of photos. They're aren't the best, but should help with my poor explanation. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	300mp radius.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	24972Click image for larger version

Name:	300mp raius 2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	24973
wix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
GaryUT

It looks like the plastic cover strip has pulled out of the aluminum screw channel, it was either pulled to tight when installed or shrunk with age and temperature.

I'd say it's not a problem as long as the aluminum piece has not pulled away from the sidewall of the trailer. look at the caulking and see if it is intact.

The plastic strip can be replaced.

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ What he said. I'd bet that if you look carefully, you'll find the vinyl "screw strip" has pulled away in other places as well. Typically, it's at the end of the aluminum trim pieces or in small radius turns/curves such as in your photo.

As said, if the aluminum trim is still secure and shows no signs of pulling away from the trailer fiberglass, then nothing to worry about. In your photo, I see that there is dirt/staining on the sealant under the aluminum, that happens with nearly every trailer and is not a structural problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
wix

Thanks guys. yep, for sure the vinyl screw channel cap has shrunk away. What's of concern is the gap where the actual aluminum trim meets the side wall. I've added another pic with an arrow to the area that has me concerned. Sorry, it's a crappy photo. I'm hoping to run out to the deal over the next day or so to get a better view. Click image for larger version

Name:	300mp radius3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	24974

It may be much to do about nothing after all, but the Interweb has me freaked about frame flex now.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

That looks like dirt in the sealant to me. It's hard to tell for sure, but there is the same "condition" on the sealant at the front corner of the nose cap, the battery vents under the front overhang and the frame of the front access door. I'd look closely, but it sure looks like just dirty sealant, at least in the other locations.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks like dirt to me too. Very common for the screw cover to come out at that corner, I see it a lot. Insert is cheap enough to replace, just make sure the screws aren’t rusted. Maybe take a drill gun and a Roberts head #2 driver. Pull a screw out and if it’s not all rusted, your golden.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I agree with the others, but also wonder what type of hitch they have. Is it a standard 5th wheel hitch or a gooseneck?
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
bobbecky

I'm looking at the gap between the filon and the molding on the radius circled. We had a broken frame almost four years ago which caused an even larger gap at that location on the driver's side. Turned out to be a complete break in the frame, visible in the front of the driver's side propane tank compartment. We were very fortunate that a mobile RV repair/welder was available and the next day after discovering the break, he was able to make a solid repair to the break and also discovered cracks in the welds above where the pin box is bolted to the frame. If you have that much movement now, you likely will find it gets worse unless you are able to see where the movement is coming from and can get it repaired. The first three photos show the area above the pin box being repaired. The last photo shows where the break in the frame occurred, circled in red. Where the arrow is pointing to, is where the only weld was, at the top of the gusset and the frame member that broke. The welder welded the frame that broke, across both sides of the large gusset on both sides, and then added a couple of 1/4" gussets between the frame and the large gusset, both sides of where the arrow is. He was not able to weld the top of the broken frame member as that was obstructed by the bedroom floor. The frame has not flexed since the repair was made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame crack 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	24983   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame crack 2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	24984   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame crack 3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	24985   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame welding repair.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	24986  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:50 AM   #9
wix

Thanks for the feedback. In the end, looks like the slide are out of alignment as well. We've decided to keep looking. Found another 300MP, but this one is a 2015. We're driving down to look at it tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
Roscommon48

On phone, limited on seeing replies.

But, if when you put trailer on truck..off the legs, and the gap disappears you have frame flex
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #11
chunker

FWIW I had a 2011 Raptor 300MP and had the exact same trim pulling away. Rubber trim cap shrunk I guess. I tried to reseat it but didn't work. I cut it and applied a white vinyl tape over the joint. I didn't notice the aluminum channel pulling away though. For the other part of the question, YES the frame will flex. I noticed mine when the door didn't close square in the door frame. I supported the frame with pyramid screw RV jacks in the vicinity of the door when stored in the RV pole barn, concrete floor. I didn't see any frame cracks or look thourghly either. RV frames WILL flex, my Freightliner chassis on the motorhome will flex some and a trailer will a flex bunch more by comparison.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
Roscommon48

you need to get it to a dealer and go from there.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote