Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Cmccul

Add an A/C unit

I have a 2019 28sgs Cougar that I want to add an A/C unit in the bedroom. The camper is wired for 50 amp service and has wiring in ceiling at the bedroom. Will the new A/C work off the in-Command touch screen? Thanks.
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Most of the time the second AC is a stand alone with dial contriols on the AC unit, not controlled through the thermostat of in command. I may be wrong, but i think it’s just the power wired to the second AC.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
xrated

I installed a second A/C unit in my Toy Hauler a month or so ago. Mine was pre-wired for a second unit, but in my case, it was in the garage area of the T.H. So, as far as wiring goes, the following wires/cables were there.

1. 120VAC circuit
2. 4 conductor cable for thermostat control
3. 12 Volt DC cable (12 volt pos and 12 volt neg.
4. 2 conductor cable for being able to control the furnace from that A/C unit also

On my installation, I chose to put a wall thermostat on it instead of using the knobs on the overhead Air Distribution Box. The T.H. has very high ceilings and using the knobs would have required a step ladder or stool every time an adjustment was made. The wall thermostat operates like any other thermostat and is obviously at chest height....no ladder or stool needed. The main A/C thermostat in the kitchen/living room is the one that controls both the A/C and the furnace, so no need for the "furnace" wires in the second unit (taped up and tucked away" I bought a Dometic Brisk II 13.5K BTU unit with the control box, thermostat, and A/C unit as a package and it makes a huge difference in the T.H. by having the second unit to help with cooling. I don't have the In Command control on my T.H., but I seriously doubt that even if I did, the second one is basically a stand alone type unit.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
3wheeler

Xrated,

How did you know where the other end of the 4 conductor cable was terminated?
2002 Goldwing trike
2012 EZ-GO 2Five
2014 Gem E4
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

In a toy hauler, I suspect the A/C is so high that a non-ducted, manual control lower unit would be impossible to reach. If it goes to a bedroom, I suspect there won't be any wiring for the 2nd A/C to other than power but the thing may have connection to a dual zone thermostat as trailers are getting pretty sophisticated. The four wire thing is what connects Dometic Brisk to lower part I think.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
Xrated,

How did you know where the other end of the 4 conductor cable was terminated?
Actually neither end of the thermostat cable was terminated. One end was in the ceiling j-box along with the 120 volt romex....and the other end was just hanging loose...inside the wall, near the switch that raises and lowers the beds in the garage. They offer zero information on where it is located, which is because they want you to take it to a dealer to have the work done. One of our forum members here has a toy hauler very similar to mine and had one put in. I ask him where the dealer mounted the thermostat and it was right above the bed switch.....so that's where I looked for a 4 conductor cable hanging loose inside the wall, and sure enough....there it was. I'm not sure where it might be on a trailer that is pre-wired for a second unit in the front bedroom, but my guess would be in the Wahl that separates the bedroom from the living room or bath or whatever is on the backside of the bedroom wall.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote