Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
hornet28

I've heard the same about Walmart. They demand a certain price and if the manufacturer doesn't meet it so long. I've been told more than once that tires are made specifically for Walmart and Sams Club and therefore of a lesser quality than a like tire of the same brand due to having to meet Walmart/Sams price demands.I do know that there are some tires at Walmart/Sams that are made only for them
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #22
CWtheMan

I don’t like to do brands. It’s sort of counter productive because there is limited information available. The materials used in each brand may be described as identical on each tire’s sidewall. The majority of raw materials used are confidential. Cording size, confidential. Amount of recycled tire rubber used in the tread compounds, confidential. Density of the compounds, confidential. The list goes on.

For USA tire users the DOT symbol on the tire’s sidewall is the best assurance were gong to get about the tire’s safeties’.

Tire manufacturer’s can tell us what they’ve done to their tires to enhance their durability for mileage or other things like curb strikes and foreign object penetrations. Age is another ballgame. The new GY trailer tire has added a second nylon strip - it helps prevent tread separations - and a sidewall scuff protector - very few, if any other, ST tire manufacturers have that scuff protector.

When Carlisle got the “BASS” endorsement for their ST tires they mysteriously got better. Previously they were the leader on NHTSA’s complaint list. They don’t tell us as much as they used to about their ST tires.

I went to a fishing & boat show earlier this year. About half of the two axle bass boat trailers I inspected had passenger tires. A few had LT tires and the rest had ST tires, mostly Carlisle. All tires were capable of supporting the trailers max GVWR at their speed ratings.

A reminder. The regulations says a trailer must have tires on it at the time of first sale that match the specifications on the federal certification label. It does not say where those tires must come from or who manufactured them. The dealer can only change the certification label before the first sale, with the permission from the vehicle manufacturer.

Normally the seating pressure for mounting the tire on the wheel rim is (max) 40 PSI. If a prospective owner finds tires inflated to 40 PSI or thereabouts during the PDI, refuse them. They probably made the trip from the factory extremely under inflated and will soon fail.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

"Normally the seating pressure for mounting the tire on the wheel rim is (max) 40 PSI. If a prospective owner finds tires inflated to 40 PSI or thereabouts during the PDI, refuse them. They probably made the trip from the factory extremely under inflated and will soon fail. ""

This ^^^^^^^!! I think this may be something that is overlooked and could have a great bearing on what happens to your tires once you start towing the trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #24
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

So if Carlisle sells a tire through DT, and then sells the same tire in name, specs, and ratings at WM, but the tire is inferior because they cut corners and don't distinguish this in their advertising, that would be fraud. Plain and simple. I really doubt this is what's happening but it does intrigue my conspiracy theory skeptcism. Nah, that's crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Russian tires ????? You just can't trust Carlisle or WalMart, eh?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #26
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Russian tires ????? You just can't trust Carlisle or WalMart, eh? [emoji38]
Now that's funny!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:19 AM   #27
nbenn3

I ordered a set of carlisles from wm for 77. Had them shipped to store. This was mid June. They took longer to get there than I was told via email. So after contacting corporate I was issued a 40 dollar refund for my hardship. I didn't ask for this, I just wondered where my tires were. Once they arrived a day later I checked the born on date and to my surprise it showed April of 2017. So only 2 months old. Wm mounted them and I put them back on the fiver. After making a trip to Myrtle beach and back I have to say the tires did great. Only thing I saw really was the tires were only inflated to 70 psi from Walmart. Not a big deal since I always check before leaving on a trip and have a tpms to monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbenn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #28
Desert185

WM spec tires vs everyone else? Facts don't lie, but the problem is that we don't know all the facts. Logically, having WM spec tires would be a manufacturing and supply chain issue, I would think. More reasonably, I can see a volume discount of the same spec tire given to WM.

What I do, primarily after viewing the experience of others on this forum, is to find a WM sale when I need new tires, take that ad to DT where they will match the price on the brand I want with a DOT date not more than six months old. I also use the DT credit card during DT sales that yields a further reduction in price. I mount the wheels with the (non-HF) torque wrench at 80 PSI (LRE) tire pressure.

I also think that running Carlisle, Sailun or Maxxis (with a standby evaluation of DT's Heartland tires) on a four year cycle is a reasonable time cycle.

Any more obsessing than that seems to be a waste of stomach acid for my purposes, but I'm open for new developments in the ST tire world.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #29
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
WM spec tires vs everyone else? Facts don't lie, but the problem is that we don't know all the facts. Logically, having WM spec tires would be a manufacturing and supply chain issue, I would think. More reasonably, I can see a volume discount of the same spec tire given to WM.

What I do, primarily after viewing the experience of others on this forum, is to find a WM sale when I need new tires, take that ad to DT where they will match the price on the brand I want with a DOT date not more than six months old. I also use the DT credit card during DT sales that yields a further reduction in price. I mount the wheels with the (non-HF) torque wrench at 80 PSI (LRE) tire pressure.

I also think that running Carlisle, Sailun or Maxxis (with a standby evaluation of DT's Heartland tires) on a four year cycle is a reasonable time cycle.

Any more obsessing than that seems to be a waste of stomach acid for my purposes, but I'm open for new developments in the ST tire world.

Agree, obsessing does nothing positive. My last 3 campers went from the dealer to the tire shop for Carlisle tires. The Montana went for Sailun as the wheels are rated to 110 psi. I don't think about it, just do it. Maxxis has a good rep but I never used them as Carlisle were more available. I don't use Wally for anything and especially wouldn't if they don't remove and install on the camper. It is important to tell the shop to torque as needed or most will go only to 65#. I check tire psi and wheel torque before every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires