Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
dutch

Jeep Grand Cherokee as tow vehicle

We are in the process of buying a Keystone Passport 2510RB. Dry weight 4880. Really like the jeep with the 3.6L pentastar V6. It has a listed towing weight of 6200 lbs. My concern is the weight ratio of the vehical to the TT. Has anyone used a Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull a TT of this size. Length is 28'.

Thanks

Scott
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Jeepshots

Think you're just gonna have to put pencil to paper and figure it out. I'm thinking you're going to be dang close to your maximum. You're only 1300 lbs away. Check your cargo capacity of your Grand as well. Got a couple a hundred pounds just in hitch that you're going to need (talking about the weight distribution hitch), battery, full propane tanks and the like. Add family/gear/icechest/food and the Grand will be close, if not over, the cargo capacity. You'll also add stuff to the front thru-storage too (gotta keep your water hoses, sewer hoses, leveling/stabilizer blocks, grill, chairs, tables and whatnot in there). All that adds to your tongue weight. Like i said, put pencil to paper and check all your weight numbers - both the trailer and the Grand.

Or wait until tomorrow - the weight patrol will be coming thru and you'll have way more info than you thought you asked for by the time they're done.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Don't. You're looking at a 7000 lb trailer behind a Jeep. The Jeep has SO many limitations as far as a towing vehicle; wheelbase, suspension, tires, and more. 6200 lbs would be a GREAT stretch for that vehicle....they just aren't meant for towing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Jeepshots

I'm towing a 24' Bullet behind my Durango (essentially a 3-row Grand). The Durango has 7200 lb towing. Has the factory tow package, extra cooling, Class IV hitch and all that. I'm at my limits pulling my Bullet. Hemi has all the power - that's not the problem. It's still a shorter wheelbase than trucks, so i still get pushed around even with the sway control. DW wants to look at trading up to a truck.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
busterbrown

I own two Chrysler vehicles with that Pentastar power plant. One is a late model T&C which I I sometimes use to tow a 1000 lb load in a 1000 lb enclosed cargo trailer. It works for short trips to the lumber yard or big box home improvement store. Never, though, would I tow a 6000 lb fully loaded, 28 ft sail. That 3.6L Pentastar is one of Chrysler's best engines ever produced for their passenger vehicles. But, that's what it was designed to move, passengers. Stay with the big V8 gassers and Diesels for your towing needs. One exception is Ford's 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. Naturally aspirated 6 cylinders will never have torque to safely pull anything larger than a canvas trailer.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The choice will be yours to make. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of very heated debates about this issue. What you've read so far is spot on solid.

Keep on mind that the ADVERTISEMENT brochure numbers mean nothing. They are for stripped down models with no accessories in them. The only numbers that count are the ACTUAL stickers on your ACTUAL vehicle. That is your real payload and GVWR. Same with the trailer too.

Member Linux3 just went through this same thing. You should look at his experience with a SUV.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26598
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28324

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 AM   #7
xcntrk

Short answer - no way.

Wheel base is too short and you'll encounter sway, and the engine platform is insufficient for pulling loads in harsh conditions (heat, grades, etc.).

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #8
gearhead

We've got a Grand Cherokee, 2012?, and I never have towed any more than a single axle utility trailer. It's a 5.7 hemi 4x4 and probably has 7200+/- capacity.
I think you will find it will be a case of the tail wagging the dog, but maybe experiment with it. Weigh the GC empty with the axles on separate scale platforms so you will get front-rear weights. Write all the GC numbers down....tire capacity, axle capacity, etc. Load it up like you would be towing and go back to the scale and re-weigh. Then hook the trailer up, loaded for travel, and re-weigh it. You need to eliminate the opinion and guessing. I'm thinking you may be shopping for a crew cab truck.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
zuley

In a nut shell... don't do it. Speaking from experience. Towed our 25 foot Passport once with our Grand Cherokee. Bought a pick up truck the next morning. The wheel base of the GC is too short even with a good sway control hitch.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #10
jkohler70

I think you could tow that fine with either the V8 or diesel Grand Cherokee. I have the same model and tow with a 2009 Borrego V8. My tow capacity is 7500#. Main difference is mine is not a unibody. I doubt I'm over 6000# fully loaded since tanks are always empty. I've only encountered one Ozarks hill that caused me to fall below 60 mph. I run 60-65 on the interstates consistently.
3 years in, and I've never encountered sway problems due to a short wheelbase. Last trip was in 30 MPH crosswinds. Some gusts pushed me around a bit, but there was no sway. The RV stayed right in line with the TV.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #11
MarkS

Jeep Grand Cherokee as tow vehical

I had a '96 GC, V8. It pulled my 19' Hybrid TT, 4600 lbs, fine. I really liked the GC, but IMHO Jeeps tend to be high maintenance machines. Pulling a trailer exasperates that problem. When I had to replace the rear differential, $$, I complained to the dealer. I got "Jeeps are not tow vehicles" from the service guy. I traded for a truck.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
Dave-Gray

And, here is one more resource that may assist you:

How Much Can These SUVs or Vans Tow Without Exceeding Ratings for a Family of Four?

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #13
linux3

Ah, here's where I pay it forward.
I have a much smaller, lighter TT and WAS pulling it with a Ford Explorer Sport with factory tow package, sway control, Tow Mode and 3.5L Twin Turbo V6.
Emphasis on was. The SUV had 365 HP but trucks passing were white knuckle and cross winds yada, yada.

My Silverado 1500 pulls my TT like I almost don't know it's there. Longer, heavier and wider truck that's built to tow makes a huge difference.
I kinda hated giving up my Explorer Sport. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, 50 series tires and all the bells and whistles but we like camping and I'm not interested in tension every minute behind the wheel when getting there.

I ranted about the same issue but a truck is the best option by far. And you are pulling a longer, heavier TT than me.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow