Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
IslandNomad

Question Installing inverter in the same compartment as house batteries

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading my house battery from the bare-bones 12V battery that sits on the trailer tongue. I already have purchased two 6V Trojan T-105 batteries. I have a Xantrex ProWatt 2000W inverter as well.

We dry-camp a lot and my goal is to be able to run the 1300W microwave, which the batteries and inverter should be able to handle.

I am looking at mounting options for both the batteries and the inverter. Options include:

1) Put the Trojans (total weight 120 lbs) on the trailer tongue. Put the inverter inside the front compartment just behind the batteries. Run 1/0 gauge cables from the batteries to the inverter. This option involves a non-trivial amount of work, particularly for the inverter installation.

2) Get a bigger box for the trailer tongue that is waterproof, lockable and large enough to fit both the batteries and the inverter in the same box. I will vent the box.

Question: Is option (2) safe? I googled but could not find anything on whether it is safe to keep an inverter next to lead-acid batteries.

If you can point out any risks or any other solutions, that will be great.
IslandNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn't do it. i just looked at th Xantrax website and the instructions for the inverter clearly state NOT to operate it in the same compartment as a lead acid battery.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...rter%20NA).pdf

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
24v

I went with solution #1 on my trailer. I considered #2 but the risk of a spark causing an explosion, even if slight, was not worth it to me. The battery fumes will corrode the stuff inside the inverter quicker as well.

Also, if you plan on using the microwave more than a minute here or there you may want to consider a small generator. That microwave will draw over 100amps when you run it. Considering your battery bank likely has about 100 amp hours of usable power, you can see how quickly the microwave will eat it up.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
rjsurfer

I'd rethink running the microwave on just 2 T-105's.

I'm running 4 T-105's with 700 watts of solar and a 2,000 watt Samlex inverter and have had less then stellar results with the microwave.

It works great for heating up a cup of coffee or for warning up food but for defrosting or actual cooking forget it. The issue is voltge drop of lead acid batteries under heavy load, all inverters shut down when the supply voltage drops below 11.5 and 2 T 105's WILL do just that.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Desert185

Not to derail your efforts, but I decided on no inverter, for obvious practical reasons, and went with two 6v batts with two, 2K generators. I can run one (less gas use) for charging and low wattage draw or two in parallel for those heavier wattage times.

Also, check the water level in the 6v batts once a month until you see what the water usage is. They do use more water over time and you don't want the cells uncovered.

You've also probably thought of using LED bulbs. They do make a difference.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
IslandNomad

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input!

I will keep the inverter away from the batteries.

I ran a test with the inverter and the two T-105 batteries in series. I can draw 800W continuously for 15 minutes until the inverter starts to complain. So this should be sufficient to run the microwave at half power for little things like heating up tea, a frozen dinner, etc.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
mfifield01

Do you just pull your 30amp cord into the storage compartment. connect it to a 30/15 adapter, and hook it direct?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
IslandNomad

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Do you just pull your 30amp cord into the storage compartment. connect it to a 30/15 adapter, and hook it direct?
My testing has been done on the workbench in my shed :-). I am installing the new batteries and battery boxes on the trailer tongue tomorrow.

My plan for the inverter install is:

1) Mount the inverter on the inside of the front storage compartment, directly opposite the batteries.

2) Pull 1/0 gauge cables through a small hole I will have to make at the bottom of the storage compartment. Connect inverter 12V terminals to batteries with a circuit breaker inline in the battery box.

3) Mount a 30-amp outlet on the OUTSIDE of the RV. I found an outlet and weatherproof box at Lowe's:

Outlet:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-30...Outlet/3775473

Weatherproof box:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-TayM...Cover/50411108

4) Run appropriate three conductor cable from the RV outlet to a plug that I will plug into the inverter socket.

5) Secure everything to the wall with clamps or staples.

The idea is that I will be able to use the inverter even when it is raining without having the storage compartment door open.

To actually use the inverter, I will have a checklist where the wife or I will:
a) Inside the RV, switch off the circuit breaker for the converter charger, so we don't try to charge the battery at the same time as drawing power from it .
b) We will most likely also turn off the circuit breaker for the fridge so that it switches to using propane.
c) Walk outside and plug the RV shore cord into the new outlet on the outside wall.
d) Turn the inverter on using the provided remote switch which we will mount inside the RV somewhere.

And a checklist for the reverse too.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandNomad View Post
My testing has been done on the workbench in my shed :-). I am installing the new batteries and battery boxes on the trailer tongue tomorrow.

My plan for the inverter install is:

1) Mount the inverter on the inside of the front storage compartment, directly opposite the batteries.

2) Pull 1/0 gauge cables through a small hole I will have to make at the bottom of the storage compartment. Connect inverter 12V terminals to batteries with a circuit breaker inline in the battery box.

3) Mount a 30-amp outlet on the OUTSIDE of the RV. I found an outlet and weatherproof box at Lowe's:

Outlet:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-30...Outlet/3775473

Weatherproof box:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-TayM...Cover/50411108

4) Run appropriate three conductor cable from the RV outlet to a plug that I will plug into the inverter socket.

5) Secure everything to the wall with clamps or staples.

The idea is that I will be able to use the inverter even when it is raining without having the storage compartment door open.

To actually use the inverter, I will have a checklist where the wife or I will:
a) Inside the RV, switch off the circuit breaker for the converter charger, so we don't try to charge the battery at the same time as drawing power from it .
b) We will most likely also turn off the circuit breaker for the fridge so that it switches to using propane.
c) Walk outside and plug the RV shore cord into the new outlet on the outside wall.
d) Turn the inverter on using the provided remote switch which we will mount inside the RV somewhere.

And a checklist for the reverse too.
A slightly off topic question. Where do you dry camp in the Austin area? I have a couple of places, but haven't found many options.