Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Elk4me

Question Adding an onboard generator. (Cross Posted MOC)

Has anyone ever added an Onan Genset to a Montana Mountaineer 375FLF? This is one of the only things that we don't have, we bought it used a year and a half ago. Behind the electrical distribution panel is a large coil of what appears to be 3/12 wire. It looks like enough to reach the front storage compartment where a generator would be installed. I am not sure where to check to see about having one installed. I have a nice Yamaha 3000 portable but it is too heavy for me to lift into the truck or trailer so I need to go to an onboard unit. Any ideas of how to find out if it is generator ready or not.
2011 Open Range Roamer 281FL
2013 Chev Silverado 6.6 Duramax
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You stated that you bought your RV used, so it's anybody's guess what the previous owner may have added, deleted or modified.

That said, it's been my experience that Keystone does NOT "coil up a Romex run" behind anything and call it a "installation ready" component. With all the "air conditioner ready" options, the wiring is IN the ceiling and terminates at the circuit breaker panel and in a ceiling box next to the vent at the A/C location. With generators, the wiring is in the "basement" installed and secured along the frame members and terminates at the circuit breaker panel and in an electrical box at the generator location, usually where the transfer switch is intended to be installed. All of the "openings for circulation are cut and temporarily covered with sheet metal covers, the fuel line is run (for gas powered generators) and/or the LP lines are run to the location for LP powered generators.

So, if possible, I'd contact the previous owner or the selling dealer to ask exactly what is behind your electrical distribution panel. I've never seen a 16 or 20 foot coil of Romex just laying behind a panel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator