Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
wayfun

Should I replace this tire?

I have a new Laredo trailer that has only been towed about 300 miles. The two times I've towed it since I brought it home I noticed that one tire had lost about 20 psi since I last checked them. This week I pulled that wheel and took it to the tire store to be checked. We found a 1 inch brad in the center of the tread. The brad was similar to what what is used to assemble the cabinetry. The tire store plugged the tire and said it was good to go. Should I trust that tire or replace it?

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Radial tires should be patched from the inside. Plugging actually causes more damage and can cause a tread separation in the future. I am no expert but I would not trust that tire. JMHO , Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Javi

I'd most likely make it the spare...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Should I replace this tire?

If you bought the trailer new, the Tire should be replaced under warranty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Since it's a "new trailer" you should have a spare tire (probably on a steel wheel) that's the same make and date of manufacture. I'd suggest that you take the spare tire, have it swapped onto your aluminum wheel and run the undamaged tire. Have the repaired tire mounted on the steel wheel to keep as your spare.

While you're doing this, don't forget to have all 4 of your "on the ground tires" balanced.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Here is what the RMA says about tire repairs.

http://www.rma.org/wp-content/upload...ir_handout.pdf

IMO that also applies to ST tires unless otherwise specified in the specific tire warranty.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
outwest

I agree with hank, should be patched from the inside. The one time I tried using a plugged tire (on a car, when was youth) the plug leaked and then came out. Ever since I have refused to accept a plug as a means of repair.

@CW - A plug and patch in combination? Interesting info, thanks.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Similar to what CW posted this is what Michelin says about their tires.

If your tire becomes damaged, it may be repaired if it meets the following criteria:
1. The tire has not been driven on when flat
2. The damage is only on the tread section of your tire (sidewall damage ruins a tire immediately) and/or
3.The puncture is no greater than ¼"

Patch, Yes. Plug, No.

The proper way to have a tire repaired is to patch the tire from the inside and fill the puncture hole. Do not have your tire plugged. Ever. Plug repairs do not involve taking the tire off the wheel for a proper inspection. A plug is simply inserted into the punctured area, making it unreliable. Insist on a full inspection and have your dealer demount and internally as well as externally inspect the tire, patch and fill the repair on the inside of the tire.

When I asked a Michelin tech about this he said that a plug can allow air to get between the tread and the casing leading to tread separation and that the rasp used to prepare the hole or the tool used to install the plug can cause more damage then the original puncture and actually cut some of the cords.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Most reputable tire places will not plug a tire. I would have that tire properly repaired and then rotate it into service as a spare.
All of the tire that come on your Keystaone trailer are China bombs waiting to go. I would seriously think about replacing them with a set of Maxxis 10 ply tires.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
wayfun

Thanks for the advice. I rotate the tire into the spare position.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote