Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
JesPasnThru

Sold pop-up and have come to “the dark side”

Hi all!
I’ve loved my 2007 Highlander Niagara pop-up for the last 6 years. Many great memories camping with the dog and young teens. Set up was just becoming a bit much with back issues. Still love camping, so I found a 2005 Cougar 285 in great shape and bought it for less than my pop-up sold for the week before.
Thrilled to have my 5er!
JesPasnThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your upgrade, and welcome back from the dark side. Lots of good information and loads of great people here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Chris P

Congratulations on your upgrade, Welcome to the forum from New Jersey
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
JesPasnThru

I was a member of popupportal forum for those years and received great input/help as a first time pop-up owner. It would seem this forum is similar with lotsa great RVers and many willing to share their experiences, both travel and technical. I REALLY appreciate a forum like this!

As much as I’ve heard from pop-up owners that hard-sides are too enclosed for their liking (the darkside), I’m QUITE happy with the change. ����
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Your first trip in cold wet rainy weather will convince you that the “dark side” is the best side, as you sit comfy warm watching a movie and eating popcorn without the canvas flapping.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

It’s all natural progression and the ebb and flow of life. At 28 days old my first camping experience was in a tent camper, then on to a 19’ Nomad self-contained, then a 26’ self -contained, then after I left home, it was back to a tent, then a vintage 1972 Starcraft Star-master 8 pop-up, then a new Coleman Bayside elite pop-up, then a Jayco Kiwi Hybrid, then empty nesters and back to a tent (motorcycle touring/camping) and now that we adopted a child, on to our current camper. Who knows what’s next, but to us no matter where you choose to sleep at night, as long as it includes family, friends and the great outdoors, it’s all good. Welcome and enjoy!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your first trip in cold wet rainy weather will convince you that the “dark side” is the best side, as you sit comfy warm watching a movie and eating popcorn without the canvas flapping.
Not to mention all of the popping required, packing to go, up and down at each location on the trip, unpacking when you get home.

It was a real pain after several years and I am glad to have our little camper now .

We can leave lots of staples in it and have the AC running while we pack it up.

-Brian
Old 08-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
Gary R.

Hello Brian, and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase, and wish you many happy memories!

Stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #9
JesPasnThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
It’s all natural progression and the ebb and flow of life. At 28 days old my first camping experience was in a tent camper, then on to a 19’ Nomad self-contained, then a 26’ self -contained, then after I left home, it was back to a tent, then a vintage 1972 Starcraft Star-master 8 pop-up, then a new Coleman Bayside elite pop-up, then a Jayco Kiwi Hybrid, then empty nesters and back to a tent (motorcycle touring/camping) and now that we adopted a child, on to our current camper!
Funny you should say that. I seriously considered a hybrid instead of a 5er. I thought it would still be nice to have the tent beds. But the more I browsed forums with signatures that detail past and present campers, I saw a pattern. SO many people had worked their way up from tents to pop-ups, to hybrids, and finally, TT or 5er, I decided I would skip the hybrid step and go right to the comfort of a fully enclosed rig.

I have no regrets.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:34 AM   #10
InkedMarie

Welcome from NH! We’re new to all this....at 59, we purchased our first TT last October. We did some tent camping when our kids were in Scouts but that was a long time ago. We skipped everything and just went to a TT. You beat us though....no 5er yet!

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
JesPasnThru

Brian, that’s one of my fav things about NOT having a pop-up. No jacking up the roof/pulling beds and easy entry anytime. I also like the idea of pulling off to stay a night or have a meal/potty break and getting right back on the road. I think we’re going to enjoy this!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
JesPasnThru

Marie, it’s good to know I’m not the only one waiting until almost 60 for our first hardside. Glad to hear you guys jumped in, too! I’m all for on the job learning. I’ve adopted this one as an opportunity to learn about it and recreate in it all at the same time. Would love to be able to prep it for boondocking one day. Right now I’m just trying to find my way around the inside a li’l more throughly.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #14
JesPasnThru

Thank you!!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

JesPanThru, I made the following post on another thread you responded to. It was the first I had seen where you added your signature. It really should not have been in that thread so I'm putting it here and removing the other.

"Bunnie, I see you have a puppy named Addie. That name brings a smile to my face.

Last fall we were at the campground we always winter at and the park owner told me of a dog belonging to the new park manager that had bad rear leg damage and they were trying to raise funds to have the surgery to performed. I wished her the best and we left.

Had to go back in May for 3 months. I walked into the office and there was the new manager with Addie. Addie looked at me (and a dog can talk thru their eyes if you are tuned to them) and we somehow connected. She walked on 3 legs her right rear just dangling and flopping. Despite what had to be a lot of pain she was smiling and came to me doing her best to "talk" to me. The manager later said she does not like men and did not associate with them until she met me. Her colorings, smile and mannerism almost mirrored my Ginger. I could not get her off my mind that day. Called the mgr. that evening to see how the funds were going for the surgery....none. For whatever reason it was on me to offer to pay for the surgery to fix that beautiful puppy - and I did. After consultation with the owner I scheduled the surgery and prepaid that along with the followup visits. Gave them the $2100+ and Addie had the work performed. I waited several weeks before I tried to see her and one day the owner brought Addie over to see me. It was like she knew. She was all over me, smiling, playing and enticing me to play with her. That flopping leg was normal but she was still trying to unlearn not putting weight on it. I was beyond happy.

Sorry for the long story. Had never heard the name of Addie for a dog and yours reminded me of that recent event. I have made expenditures in the past that you sometimes look back and regret. I look back at that one and I smile. Hope you have fun in that new to you camper and good luck on getting that hitch installed. Having the right one and getting it set up properly are very important."
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

My wife is a true dog person. We currently are down to eight... at our age, hate to have them outlive us. Just got Pookie out of the vet hospital yesterday; Pookie is a strange little mutt, about 3 lbs, real weird hair and hates my guts. Yaps at me every time she sees me and hides behind the couch when I am in the room. Spent $4500 to bring Pookie back from the brink of some gall bladder and pancreas infection and she is now back to yapping at me and hating my guts again. My wife loves her and Pookie sleeps on her pillow so my suggestions about Pookie are not appreciated. Pookie has solid black eyeballs.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #17
JesPasnThru

Chuckster57, I’ve been thru the wind storm in the middle of the night wondering if the pop-up roof would hold together until morning. Last time the winds were that strong, we drove our TV the 20 minutes to get back home at 2AM so we could finally get some sleep, leaving the pop-up in place until next day. Glad I won’t be doing that again.
05 Cougar 285 2013 F150 5L (soon to be upgraded)
“I want to know God’s thoughts. The rest are details.”
-Einstein
Old 08-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #18
JesPasnThru

Sourdough, that is one great story. Funny how Addie connected with you. Even the smallest of the suffering deserves a champion for their cause. And the world could use more champions. So cool you stepped up, and it ended so well for the little one. I’m sure her life has improved tremendously. Grace - unearned, undeserved, and given with liberality. Something we all need more of.
-Einstein
Old 08-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #19
JesPasnThru

Wiredgeorge, eight dogs! Wow. Just, wow.
-Einstein
Old 08-13-2020, 03:07 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesPasnThru View Post
Chuckster57, I’ve been thru the wind storm in the middle of the night wondering if the pop-up roof would hold together until morning. Last time the winds were that strong, we drove our TV the 20 minutes to get back home at 2AM so we could finally get some sleep, leaving the pop-up in place until next day. Glad I won’t be doing that again.
As former pop up owner (haven’t made it to fiver) I’ll tell you it is nice not to have to worry about the canvas blowing off. With tt’s the wind just blows them over and you crawl out of the rubble.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote