Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
tcoxcsr

Gray water leaking into underbelly - help!

We have 2008 Passport 245RB. Second owner, purchased from a friend three years ago.

Last weekend we noticed very little gray water draining when we dumped at the site, yet we found the shower had water backed up. Then when dumping for our final, my husband noticed a lake under our trailer, and the underbelly was severely sagging.. Fortunately it appeared to be gray. We drilled a relief hole, but now we need to drop the underbelly to find and fix the source of the leak.

So what would you suggest be the first place to check? I've read the P-trap could be cracked, the tank itself could be cracked. We've had the underlayment down before to fix the soft floor issue that seem so common in this trailer, so we know to do that to check under there. But from memory, my husband doesn't remember seeing any plumbing hardware visible back there because of the tanks. I'm thinking we're going to have to drop the tanks to get to the shower drain hardware.

With the volume of water we had, and the amount of dishes I didn't do, I'm assuming the source of the water was the shower. We haven't seen an access panel to get under the shower to check. In fact, when we wanted to change out the shower controls and everyone said there is a panel to access it, we coudlnt' find one and were eventually told by Keystone that we'd have to dismantle the whole shower to change it out -- so that's not happening.

So any advice? And if you can direct me to where I could find a schematic for the floorplan of my trailer, I'd be eternally grateful.
tcoxcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
Slapshoot

We had this happen in our 5th wheel. The drain had come off of the shower and needed to be reattached. You might want to check that. The tech ended up putting a “T” brace under the shower as the floor of the shower flexed too much.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off, you won’t find any schematics. I would start by dropping the underbelly and then run the faucets and shower one at a time. That way you can hopefully pinpoint the leak, and then plan your repair.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Roscommon48

start with dropping the bottom and looking for where the water is coming from. Until that time we all can only guess.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
tcoxcsr

Soooo dropped the underbelly, and there is a crack in the grey tank. Husband started to drill to stop the spread, and it cracked bigger. We have a crescent shaped crack at this point. He wants to try to ABS weld it. I feel like we’re trying to sew a spiderweb, as all the plastic has become brittle (it was previously stored in the desert sun) and we’ve been replacing it. I’m looking up tank suppliers, but without a model number, that’s difficult. Any ideas? Also, there were no straps, just a ledge that the tank appears to rest on each side. Is that normal? I thought all tanks had straps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	717F5FC4-0ABD-435C-8D6C-FFE39FF88B73.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	29079  
Old 08-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
tcoxcsr

I need to haul it up to Modesto and have you work on it!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoxcsr View Post
I need to haul it up to Modesto and have you work on it!
You couldn’t afford my rates.

There should be a brand/number/ dimensions molded into the tank. Probably on the top.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

OP do your homework and get proficient in RV repair. I had my galley grey tank develop a leak. Hole in the top. Replacement was $3100 by dealer (extended warranty coverage).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
tcoxcsr

Well, thanks. We’ve restored an aging trailer, done our own fixes. Husband has built airplanes you all fly in, rebuilt motors, etc., so he’s pretty handy. We weren’t sure about this one, so thought we’d ask for advice and learn from others how may have had this issue.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:15 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoxcsr View Post
Well, thanks. We’ve restored an aging trailer, done our own fixes. Husband has built airplanes you all fly in, rebuilt motors, etc., so he’s pretty handy. We weren’t sure about this one, so thought we’d ask for advice and learn from others how may have had this issue.
Believe me, he's not working on "aircraft quality" material here. Anyone with a similar issue would replace a tank that looks like that. You say it's brittle so that will not be the only area on that tank that's brittle. Unless the trailer has been upside down I doubt it's from the sun. Dry air certainly, so I would be giving the other tanks a very close inspection as well. The only difference between the black and the gray tank is what drains into them. They will be the same material, age, exposure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:26 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

With the tank in that shape and that brittle I would not think about spending time to repair it - it, and the others, are just going to crack again. You mentioned you couldn't find a source for a tank. Since you don't know how big they are (gal.) I would take the measurements and order new ones. Here is a link to one source;

https://www.plastic-mart.com/categor...-holding-tanks
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak