Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Javi

Fuel Tanks to be or not to be..

Well, I’ve long been a proponent of installing the Titian Mid-Ship replacement tank in my F350 Dually, but now that I’m ready to pull the trigger and order one the price has taken a Corvid-19 hike from $1200 to now $1700..

I just can’t convince myself that the 30 extra gallons is worth that much extra.. that’s going from $40 a gallon cost to $56 a gallon that $500 is a deal breaker..

I’ve been looking at the RDS transfer tanks with a gravity fill system.

I can get a 60 gallon tank for under $900 if I don’t want the toolbox.. and I have no need for a toolbox with all the storage space this trailer has..

Anyway.. how many of y’all use an in the bed tank, and is it gravity fed or a pump system.

Would you do it again, or was it not all it was cracked up to be..??

Finally, any problems ???
Old 08-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
MerlinB

Javi, I have a 60 gallon gravity fed tank in the back of my Ram 3500. It works just fine. When I am traveling if the main tank gets down to about 1/4 or less, I open the transfer valve the next time I stop and drive on. It transfers faster than I burn it so eventually the main gets full and at the next stop I shut it off. If the main never gets to full I know the aux tank is empty and I start planning a refuel stop.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
KingFisher

I've got the 60 gallon rds with toolbox. In the driver's side of the toolbox is a pump and fill handle. After mounting the toolbox I had to run a wire to the battery from the pump. I like it this way.

I thought about the other type but then I read about another Ram owner who said his warranty got voided because the dealer claimed his problem came from shavings in the fuel which came from him cutting the fuel neck to install the gravity feed.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
notanlines

“his problem came from shavings in the fuel which came from him cutting the fuel neck to install the gravity feed.“
I suspect this might be a he said she said. Highly unlikely.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I've got the 60 gallon rds with toolbox. In the driver's side of the toolbox is a pump and fill handle. After mounting the toolbox I had to run a wire to the battery from the pump. I like it this way.

I thought about the other type but then I read about another Ram owner who said his warranty got voided because the dealer claimed his problem came from shavings in the fuel which came from him cutting the fuel neck to install the gravity feed.
I have the same RDB fuel tank With two filters coming from the RDB tank to the pump. I am thinking about one filter after the 4 year old Electric pump . Even if the pump did fly apart the truck fuel filter should catch debris.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
hornet28

I've had a 50 gal in bed TransFer Flow tank in my duallie. I bought it way back in 03 and it's in the second truck it's been in. While this is automatic transfer I installed a 70 gal in bed tank feeding into the vent line in my brothers truck using a switched pump with a extra gas gauge in the cab. I also installed a light in the dash that flashed when the pump was running so that he couldn't just forget the pump was on. He put better than 300K on it without a problem. I wouldn't be without the extra tank especially when traveling any distance. It also helps to take advantage of low fuel prices when you can, I've saved close to $50 in one fill up due to this. I figure the tank has more than paid for itself over the years in savings and convenience
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
LewisB

We have an RDS 90 gallon combo box in our DRW and we LOVE it. Our F350 has a 48 gallon tank, so with 138 gallons, we get quite a range between fuel stops. Yes, we stop to take lots of breaks - but the big tank allows us to take advantage of lower priced fuel (when we find it) and saves us from having to fuel in tight spaces. This is the second TV I've done this with (previously had an F450) and I'd do it again.

We use the RDS gravity system. I installed an in-line filter between the RDS tank and the main tank. I also removed the Ford fuel filler line BEFORE I cut it to avoid dropping any shavings into the truck system. This works really well for us. The gravity feed system doesn't seem to affect the Ford computer system. I can either 1) use the auxiliary tank 2 times for a fill-up" or 2) just leave the auxiliary drain open - when the gauge on the truck begins to move, I know the auxiliary tank is empty and I'm on my last truck tank before I need fuel.

As an emergency, I bought a backup pump and I'll include a link for that. It sits unused in the box, but I have it if I ever need to help someone out with some diesel or if I have a gravity system failure. The pump was $120 when I bought it - looks like it has gone up a bunch, so shop around!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
hornet28

Not as fast as the one you have but it'll do the job for heck of a lot less money. Why buy an expensive one just to sit in the box?
https://www.amazon.com/CarBole-Unive..._rd_i=15728151
Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
LewisB

Yes, that might work...I'd be concerned about "suction head" capabilities, not listed in the specs. Says "Must be mounted withing 12" of fuel tank" which tells me this is likely needing to be at or below the fuel tank supply with a gravity feed on the suction side. If you have a way to connect it to the bottom of your tank, it would probably work. I don't think there is any way this would suck fuel out the fill pipe of your auxiliary tank, for example.

At 35 gph, it would take almost 2 hours to transfer into my tank, so I'd probably pass on this. But if you are looking for a low cost alternative to just pump a few gallons, this might work.

Thanks!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 08-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We have an RDS 90 gallon combo box in our DRW and we LOVE it. Our F350 has a 48 gallon tank, so with 138 gallons, we get quite a range between fuel stops. Yes, we stop to take lots of breaks - but the big tank allows us to take advantage of lower priced fuel (when we find it) and saves us from having to fuel in tight spaces. This is the second TV I've done this with (previously had an F450) and I'd do it again.

We use the RDS gravity system. I installed an in-line filter between the RDS tank and the main tank. I also removed the Ford fuel filler line BEFORE I cut it to avoid dropping any shavings into the truck system. This works really well for us. The gravity feed system doesn't seem to affect the Ford computer system. I can either 1) use the auxiliary tank 2 times for a fill-up" or 2) just leave the auxiliary drain open - when the gauge on the truck begins to move, I know the auxiliary tank is empty and I'm on my last truck tank before I need fuel.

As an emergency, I bought a backup pump and I'll include a link for that. It sits unused in the box, but I have it if I ever need to help someone out with some diesel or if I have a gravity system failure. The pump was $120 when I bought it - looks like it has gone up a bunch, so shop around!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do any of your videos show the tank in the bed of the truck? Or could you post a couple of photos showing how much room that tank is taking up in the bed.

How well does the inline filter work with gravity feed, I would think that would slow down the flow a good bit. I would love the added security of a fuel filter just in case. Although going through the stock tank it would be no different than the OEM arrangement.

I would think that in a pinch one could use an Oklahoma credit card to siphon fuel out of the tank and into the truck's fuel fill port, since the tank is higher.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
hornet28

Quote:
Yes, that might work...I'd be concerned about "suction head" capabilities, not listed in the specs. Says "Must be mounted withing 12" of fuel tank" which tells me this is likely needing to be at or below the fuel tank supply with a gravity feed on the suction side. If you have a way to connect it to the bottom of your tank, it would probably work. I don't think there is any way this would suck fuel out the fill pipe of your auxiliary tank, for example.

At 35 gph, it would take almost 2 hours to transfer into my tank, so I'd probably pass on this. But if you are looking for a low cost alternative to just pump a few gallons, this might work.

Thanks!
I've used one similar to that for transferring fuel out of a stock tank to a gas can at home. Worked fine. I realize it doesn't have the gpm that the one you bought has but figure in an emergency situation gpm doesn't really mean a lot. It's the transferring of fuel that matters. Just MHO
Old 08-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
Javi, I have a 60 gallon gravity fed tank in the back of my Ram 3500. It works just fine. When I am traveling if the main tank gets down to about 1/4 or less, I open the transfer valve the next time I stop and drive on. It transfers faster than I burn it so eventually the main gets full and at the next stop I shut it off. If the main never gets to full I know the aux tank is empty and I start planning a refuel stop.

Dumb question... but.... let me understand the drill. You open the transfer valve when you are 1/4 tank. If the transfer is faster than your burning fuel, then can you just leave the valve open until you see the gas gauge indicate it is time to refill both the main and aux tanks?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

I am interested because when we travel west, there are lots of areas where diesel pumps are very inconvenient with my camper in tow and stations are sometimes a long way apart; when we went out to Big Bend I had to fuel where fuel could be got and there are few filling stations out that way. Would be really nice to be able to take advantage of good prices and to fill while unhooked as my driving kind of stinks with the camper hooked up.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am interested because when we travel west, there are lots of areas where diesel pumps are very inconvenient with my camper in tow and stations are sometimes a long way apart; when we went out to Big Bend I had to fuel where fuel could be got and there are few filling stations out that way. Would be really nice to be able to take advantage of good prices and to fill while unhooked as my driving kind of stinks with the camper hooked up.
Exactly, well except for the bad driving thingy..

North Texas and the Big Bend are difficult to find fuel stations for 13' 6" X 30+
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #15
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Do any of your videos show the tank in the bed of the truck? Or could you post a couple of photos showing how much room that tank is taking up in the bed.

How well does the inline filter work with gravity feed, I would think that would slow down the flow a good bit. I would love the added security of a fuel filter just in case. Although going through the stock tank it would be no different than the OEM arrangement.

I would think that in a pinch one could use an Oklahoma credit card to siphon fuel out of the tank and into the truck's fuel fill port, since the tank is higher.
Javi,
Basically it’s about an inch taller than the bed of my truck and takes the first 30 inches in front of the hitch. Yes, that’s a big chunk but this is primarily a tow vehicle so I don’t need it for hauling plywood or other things in the 8 foot bed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3851C14-E2DC-4F80-A8CF-D120A0E80F5B.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	29214
Yes, the added filter slows down the transfer so I just leave it open and it seems to keep up with consumption through the day. I typically let it sit until bed time then close it at night. I don’t like leaving it open when I can’t keep an eye on it.

Your credit card would likely work! If I tried that I would end up swallowing the first batch then wearing the next so I figured a pump was likely to increase my odds of success (ha-ha).

As you can tell, most of this is highly dependent on personal preference. Think through your choices and get the system that makes the most sense to you. Having an auxiliary fuel tank is a really nice option And I think you will enjoy having one.

Best of luck!
Old 08-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #16
notanlines

George, we have done the same as Lewis for I believe 6 or 7 years. When traveling we simply fill the tanks and leave the valve open (all the time). And yes, we do have an inline filter leading to the filer neck of the truck. When the truck gauge reaches the half mark we start looking. We seldom fill more than every other day unless I unhook for the night.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Javi,
Basically it’s about an inch taller than the bed of my truck and takes the first 30 inches in front of the hitch. Yes, that’s a big chunk but this is primarily a tow vehicle so I don’t need it for hauling plywood or other things in the 8 foot bed.
Attachment 29214
Yes, the added filter slows down the transfer so I just leave it open and it seems to keep up with consumption through the day. I typically let it sit until bed time then close it at night. I don’t like leaving it open when I can’t keep an eye on it.

Your credit card would likely work! If I tried that I would end up swallowing the first batch then wearing the next so I figured a pump was likely to increase my odds of success (ha-ha).

As you can tell, most of this is highly dependent on personal preference. Think through your choices and get the system that makes the most sense to you. Having an auxiliary fuel tank is a really nice option And I think you will enjoy having one.

Best of luck!
Well, part of my youth was spent or maybe misspent in the country 25 miles from the nearest gas station and it closed at dark 30... so the ability to use an Oklahoma CC was very handy..

We spend most of our camping time in little out of the way campgrounds and travel secondary or FM roads to get there. Currently we have to really plan out our routes more for fuel availability than for driving ease. Often we detour an hour or more just to make sure we can find fuel.

It has been my plan to add the Titian tank once we were able to travel again, but as I said earlier, they've priced themselves out of the running.

We rarely camp during the summer preferring cooler weather. We're blessed in Texas to be able to camp comfortably all winter, missing very few days to cold. We do enjoy a campfire and usually have to carry enough wood for our trip in the truck, so I'm concerned about how much room the tank takes up.

I'm thinking that 18" to 20" is probably my limit....
Old 08-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #18
hornet28

Javi, my 50 gal tank measures 18.5" wide X 18.25 tall. I'd sure never want to have to run an hour out of my way to fuel up. That's wasting fuel and time which an auxiliary tank will eliminate. With the 50 gal tank plus the 34 stock I have quite a range. One time I did go a bit far and ended up putting 79+ gals in, that was calling it a little too close
Old 08-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #19
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Javi, my 50 gal tank measures 18.5" wide X 18.25 tall. I'd sure never want to have to run an hour out of my way to fuel up. That's wasting fuel and time which an auxiliary tank will eliminate. With the 50 gal tank plus the 34 stock I have quite a range. One time I did go a bit far and ended up putting 79+ gals in, that was calling it a little too close
My bed rails are 20" and I'd like to stay in the 18" - 20" for height and probably 18" to 20" deep... across the bed is pretty much open as long as I can reach the petcock and maybe filter easily.

I don't think I'd ever use a bed cover again but I like to see the hitch
Old 08-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #20
hornet28

This is the tank I have and even the fill cap is below the bed rail
https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116625

Tags
fuel, tank