Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Ribtip

Help with brakes

So here is the weird problem. I just started getting a check brake wiring warning on my 2016 ram 2500. I checked the wiring and everything looks good and clean. So when it happens the only thing that makes it go away is pulling the emergency brake pin out and plugging it back in. If i unplug the camper from the truck it does not help. Only pulling that pin. Then it works for awhile. What do you guys think is going on. Thanks for any help.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would pull the drums and look very close at the magnet wiring. It should be secured with clips to the magnet arm, check for any signs of chaffing. If everything checks out good then I would head to the Ram dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Ribtip

Yep that was gonna be my plan. I thought it was just weird that pulling that clip made it all work again.thats why i was thinking maybe a sticky magnet or something.do the campers have any systems to detect that kind of stuff or is that what my truck is doing
Old 08-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
So here is the weird problem. I just started getting a check brake wiring warning on my 2016 ram 2500. I checked the wiring and everything looks good and clean. So when it happens the only thing that makes it go away is pulling the emergency brake pin out and plugging it back in. If i unplug the camper from the truck it does not help. Only pulling that pin. Then it works for awhile. What do you guys think is going on. Thanks for any help.

Since messing with the breakaway switch clears up the problem, I'm wondering if the switch has gone bad and is sending voltage through the 7 way plug and that is what the break controller is reporting. Do you have a meter you could use to check for voltage on the 7 way plug coming from the trailer. Pin #2 is the brake line, with it unhooked from the truck there should not be voltage unless the emergency switch is pulled.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 way plug.png
Views:	108
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	29178  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:08 AM   #5
Ribtip

Yep i do. Thats a good idea. Going out to check now.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #6
ChuckS

Jack up one side of RV at a time and pull emergency brake pin and verify you can’t turn the tires. If both sides test good...and I am betting they will then you need to work from RV cable to truck and also junction box from RV cable to pin box..

Most likely loose or corroded ground wire... and “looking” at them isn’t going to tell you the whole story.. remove any ground wire to chassis and clean that area of chassis as well as terminal lug..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:38 AM   #7
Ribtip

I am in the process now of disconnecting all the truck wires and making sure everything is dry and connected good. I am still trying to blame the truck as this is a fairly common problem on the rams with water intrusion. But i am just baffled by the fact that pulling that ebrake switch works every time. I have my volt meter handy so that when it happens again i can start checking things out. I have not tried lifting the camper to test but i can tell the ebrake is working by putting a little pressure on it with the truck. Thats for all your input.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
Ribtip

Just an update. Seems to be fine we drove thru some big rains in wisconsin maybe what it was. Some water intrusion
Old 08-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal. Thanks for posting an update.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes