Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #21
Upland111

Buy an infrared thermometer. Harbor Freight has one for a few dollars. I always chec the trailer wheels/tires & truck at each stop just for piece of mind.
Upland111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #22
LewisB

A TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system) is a great investment to go along with new tires. The TPMS will monitor both the pressure and the temperature of your tires and provide you an early warning of any high temperature or pressure issues. I recommend: https://www.technorv.com/tst-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems/#
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #23
Billod

Thanks, I purchased a cheap one for the trip costing about $40 dollars, and it was not even close to being accurate. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll check it out.
Billod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billod View Post
I thought I would share my recent experience with bearings, grease, and brakes, etc.

I purchased a lightly used trailer with two axles and found a bad bearing and one tire that had a lot of wear (after purchase). After reviewing Youtube videos, I decided to replace all of the bearings and races, and in my opinion, it was a relatively straight forward task, albeit messy. I am glad I performed the upgrades, and I had peace of mind for the trip, while also protecting the new tires that I had just purchased.

What I further discovered while replacing the bearings was the electric brake shoe pads were very thick and thought I was all right. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the brake magnet contact point to the brake drum was worn past its wear indicator holes at a surprising angle, causing limited braking when the brakes applied (I had adjusted the brakes). I was further surprised to discover the brake drum were also worn at the same angle and had limited contact between the new magnet, and drum surface. As a result, I had to replace the drums.

In the end, I replaced the entire electric brake assembly ($65 each) because just the magnet were $20 itself. I installed new drums (~$65 each), and bearings and races ($25 each). New Lucas Red and Tacky wheel bearing grease (3 tubes about $5 each) and a bearing packing tool "Performance Tool Universal Bearing Packer" for about $8. It was well worth the time and investment to ensure the best that I could that we did not have a breakdown on the side of the road with the family. It took me a weekend to complete the maintenance for our 3K mile round trip that I just finished this week. The tools I needed to replace the bearing races were a brass punch and bearing race driver that totaled ~$40.

I hope this helps. Also, I am have not performed bearing and brake replacements on a trailer before. Youtube has terrific repair videos, IMHO.

p.s. My trailer has the Dexter Ez-Lube axles and I was able to see the concern of others greasing bearings using the grease zerk fittings and overfilling with grease. In a pinch, I would use it very sparingly. I will probably never use them, and grease the bearings the old fashion method.

Best,
Bill

Billod - thanks for that post. I think many either don't do bearing/brake maintenance because it seems daunting or something. Other than getting a bit dirty not much too it. Thanks for your perspective on your experience. I expect that will put others at ease to just "jump in" and give it a whirl.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #25
NMRandy

I doubt seriously you will ever see temp from a bearing. Brakes and tires create much more heat.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRandy View Post
I doubt seriously you will ever see temp from a bearing. Brakes and tires create much more heat.

If one is not maintained (greased) you can and will. Pulled a pop up once and the bearings were not greased. They seized and literally cut the spindle off. I can assure you when they finally cut that spindle off it was definitely "smoking".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #27
NMRandy

Well ... if you let them go that far. My rigs hubs always have some temp in them due to the heat from the brakes. On trailer axles without brakes, you may be able to detect a bearing starting to go bad, due to a temp difference from one hub to the other.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #28
Upland111

Bearing Heat

The grease in a bearing doesn't allow metal to metal contact in the bearing. Loose the grease and i will guarantee there will be plenty of heat. Be sure to aim (most have a laser dot) your infra-red thermometer at the center most part of the wheel/drum and compare to the other wheels. Whether it is a bearing or brakes, you have a problem if the temp is significantly higher than the others.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billod View Post
Thanks, I purchased a cheap one for the trip costing about $40 dollars, and it was not even close to being accurate. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll check it out.
I wouldn't expect to get the same performance for 1/10 the cost.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #30
NMRandy

I had a brake dragging a little, and it caused the drum/hub to be hot. I had another, that the brake magnet wire was not secured at the factory, rubbed through, and the brake stop working, and the drum/hub was cold. I am just saying that by the time a bearing starts to heat, the damage is done, and with the heat from brakes and tires, I doubt seriously, you could tell the difference. Best to check them, by cleaning and packing, and not try to see if they are ok by using a temp gun.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #31
Upland111

Not saying to forego maintenance. Just offering a “going down the road” safety check. I would rather maybe catch “something” before it happens as opposed to finding out with a bang!

Tags
grease