Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
GroverT70

Generator Issue

I have a 2020 Fuzion Impact with a 5500 Onan Gen. The generator runs fine but is not putting power to the appliances in the RV. I have verified that the gen is putting power to the Transfer Switch and from the switch to the power panel inside the RV. Checked all breakers, fuses, etc with no luck. I flipped every breaker off and back on. So I know I have power to the breaker box but it is not leaving there and going to the rv. Shore power works fine. The gen has 2 30A breakers and I flipped them off and back on too. The generator only has 10hrs on it. I had it running with the both air conditioners on and it was doing fine. I went away and came back a little later and no power 120v power in the rv. Any help would be appreciated.
GroverT70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

How did you verify power to the breaker panel from the Gen? If you have power at the breaker panel with shore and not gen, then I would be looking at the transfer switch. If you have power to the breaker panel with both shore and gen, but nothing 110VAC works on gen, then I’m wondering if the gen might not be producing enough amps.

Just thinking out loud.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
GroverT70

Hi Chuckster, I used a AC volt detector to determine power was at the breaker box. I’ve exhausted everything I know to try. Think I am going to have to carry it to RV repair shop. RV is only 6 month’s old. I consider myself a handy man, both mechanically and electrically but this one has kicked my rear. I am going to check it all with my fluke meter over the next couple of days.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Without a Volt/Ohm meter you really can’t say 110VAC is present at the breaker panel. Bring only 6 months old, I would let the warranty take care of it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
GroverT70

Hi Chuckster,. I checked the power at the panel box and I do have 120v at the panel from the generator but no power on the receptacles. I can hook up shore everything works great. Blows my mind!. 120v at the panel with both power sources, but only shore power is getting through to the receptacles.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
Bostongone

Might check for a open neutral in the path back to the generator probably starting at the transfer switch. Grounds may be complete which may be why you are measuring voltage but there is no return path for the current flow back to the generator. Check continuity with generator off and shore power disconnected.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 AM   #7
GroverT70

Thanks Bostongone, I'll check continuity and see if that might be the problem. If not, I reckon I will have to carry it to a service center. I'm all out of options.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:36 AM   #8
ChuckS

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...GN_NAME$%22%7d
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
Bostongone

ChuckS WOW! I can't even begin to think about the dangers here! GroverT70 you should be able to confirm, assuming the transfer switch inputs are labeled like Line, Load and Generator, if your camper is affected by confirming which wire sets go where and if incorrect or NOT, take it to the dealer for the recall and have them confirm either way!
Old 08-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
WoW! Thanks for this. Does the forum have a "Recall Notice" area? If not, I wonder if this might be a great case for starting a whole classification of threads!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
GroverT70

WOW! is right. Thanks ChuckS. I currently have the unit scheduled to go to the local service center next Tuesday but I will definitely check this first. My switch is labeled and I think it is wired correctly but I will definitely verify. I traced my gen power lead to the switch and it is connected to the side labeled "generator" and so on but that doesn't mean that the labeling is correct because yesterday I powered up the generator and checked to see if I had voltage at the shore plug and sure enough, I did so at that point, I disconnected everything and shut er down. Of all things, you would think that Keystone would have competent electricians wiring their units. This could cause fires or maybe even death, not to mention the frustration that I have experienced.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Bostongone

GroverT70, strongly advise you have the Onan generator checked out! If that was electrically connected to the power pole even for a short time I don’t think it enjoyed the experience?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
GroverT70

Getting it checked out next week.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
JJaxon

Thank you Chuck S, for the link. I ran my generator last night while plugged into 50amp shore power, for 30 minutes and ran w a/c's. Didn't think to check the PI monitor at the shore connect this time. It usually switches from x amps to 0 amps when I start, so I didn't check it this time.
As many of these as there are out there, a simple to follow DIY troubleshooting guide would be nice from Keystone or Onan.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #15
DucBill

GroverT70 Good luck with your electrical issue Bostongones brought back memories of being in the engine room on a patrol gunboat in the US Navy when one of the boats electrician decided to do a quick drop and pickup from ship power to shore power but instead closed in on shore power without deenergizing the feed cb from the generator . Needless to say the 100kw genset lost instantly in it's electrical tug of war with the Guam Piti power plant resulting in sheared mounting bolts from genset to the boats frame members as well as a fuzed flexplate from flywheel to genset and a smoked armature. Hope yours wasn't similarly effected but sure would want to witness an operational test with a full inductive load to make sure, especially when it's a manufacturer defect warranty. Issue.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #16
Firegod

Battery/generator/ solar

I’m looking for ideas and thoughts on a set up for a keystone Cougar 24. I’m looking to dry camp for 4-5 days at a time. Should I go with multiple batteries, solar, generator, investor/converter? If I need a/c I’d defiantly use the generator.. what is a good way to charge the batteries quickly and efficiently? Thanks for the help.
Firegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
I’m looking for ideas and thoughts on a set up for a keystone Cougar 24. I’m looking to dry camp for 4-5 days at a time. Should I go with multiple batteries, solar, generator, investor/converter? If I need a/c I’d defiantly use the generator.. what is a good way to charge the batteries quickly and efficiently? Thanks for the help.
If you're looking for a reliable, no frills, not too expensive way to keep your batteries charged, do a little TV watching and occasional microwave use, you might consider a Champion, Harbor Freight, Firman or similar 2000 watt inverter generator. It'll cost you around $400, will keep your batteries recharged with a couple hours run time each day and a 5 gallon gas can will carry all the gas you'll need for a 4 or 5 day trip (assuming you don't try to run the generator 24/7)...

Solar, at least in my opinion, tends to get more expensive than a generator, doesn't work as well on cloudy days or if you're camped in the shade (think about warm days parked in the sun to keep batteries recharged vs parking in the shade to keep the campers cooler). I will readily admit, once installed, a solar system is essentially a "forget about it" system and beats a generator for "noise" hands down...

We dry camp regularly, carry a 2000 watt Champion generator and our "limiting factor" is black tank capacity. We can always "run to a gas station to fill a couple of water jugs to keep going, so water isn't an issue, battery charge isn't an issue, it boils down to "gotta leave when the black tank is full"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
Bostongone

GroverT70, inquiring minds want to know! What did your dealer find out on the transfer switch and Onan generator? Are lawyers getting involved?
Old 08-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #19
GroverT70

It is at the service center and they have not got to it yet. I will let y'all know what we find out. It's bad though. It charged the frame to the point that it burned my roof at every aluminum roof support. I was going to add a picture to this post but could not figure out how to do it.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #20
Bostongone

Looking for a emoticon showing me shaking my head!

Tags
generator