Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 AM   #21
roadglide

I agree John . I’ll be at sturgis in a few days I will call around for cable. I have an idea that there may be some threads left on that old cable after I retrieve it. That’s 1/4 threaded cable with luck I’ll have something left on the cable with threads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AB3D720-FBCA-4A0F-978E-9DEC5340CA1D.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	28929  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #22
German Shepherd Guy

I wonder what caused the shaft to break in the first place. Something binding/aligning not quit right. Hope after all this that you don't replace it just to have another one break. I would think it is just mild steel so if you had to you could probably get most any competent blacksmith to fabricate you a new one.
Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Shortages are becoming far too common in EVERY type of product. From coins, to D&D circuit breakers to Amana air conditioner (outside units) to dimension lumber (for building houses) to steel roofing to toilet parts.....

Part of that is the COVID environment we live in, part is the dependence on China for "all things that can be made cheaper" and part is likely the "excessive swings in the economy"...

At any rate, I'd suspect things won't "stabilize with supplies to meet demand" for quite some time. Fasten your seat belt and keep looking for that "one spare part on a shelf in "Po-dunk" because all the major suppliers are going to be "out of stock"....
And when it does become available, look out for a "toilet Paper type shortages" as folks start buying up stuff out of panic and fear.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #24
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I wonder what caused the shaft to break in the first place. Something binding/aligning not quit right. Hope after all this that you don't replace it just to have another one break. I would think it is just mild steel so if you had to you could probably get most any competent blacksmith to fabricate you a new one.
Good luck.
That’s a good question the slide is five years old and has worked flawlessly up until yesterday. Maybe the glass candle getting wedged in the slide going out some time ago. The darling GF didn’t see it was missing off the beside table .
Old 07-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #25
Campermike

I think German shepherds post was actually directed at me. I have learned thru watching some videos that I may have contributed to the failure. Basically there is no "limit switch" or power down when the motor completely opens or closes the slide. Holding the button too long.. or hitting it again to make sure the slide is completely closed can stress that shaft or the gearbox. I am guilty of doing that a bit... And who knows how the previous owner treated the camper. I'm pretty sure the new shaft will fix the issue for a good long time as long as I treat it right. The shaft is also not even solid metal.... It's tightly wound wire I assume to better handle vibration. I don't want to replace it with solid metal as I suspect that is asking for other problems in the future.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #26
Roy Finchville

Slide mechanism failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campermike View Post
Our slide on our 2013 2300bh broke just as it finished pulling in at our last stop. The motor sounds like it is freewheeling. I have contacted a mobile repair place near our next stop but so far no return call. Is there any hope for me to fix it or is the motor likely toast?
Just changed out my gear box that stripped our. Sounds like you were fortunate and little bar like a drive shaft connected motor to gear box. Get number off gear box to order shaft. Take motor side off. Replace pin and reattach motor. My gearbox stripped out so what I thought would he a 2 hour job turned into a 1 1/2 day event involving adjusting cables and chains after putting supports under the slide out to hold it up.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Finchville View Post
Just changed out my gear box that stripped our. Sounds like you were fortunate and little bar like a drive shaft connected motor to gear box. Get number off gear box to order shaft. Take motor side off. Replace pin and reattach motor. My gearbox stripped out so what I thought would he a 2 hour job turned into a 1 1/2 day event involving adjusting cables and chains after putting supports under the slide out to hold it up.
Oh I'll be spending time readjusting the chain for sure. I thought the gearbox or other parts were likely toast so I took it all apart. So reassembly will be just like what you had to do. Along with adjustment.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #28
Campermike

And for the part, I decided I didn't want to wait so ordered from a highly rated ebay seller and hopefully it will be here within a couple days... If the part eventually comes from carid I'll have a spare. I'll probably use their stupid coupon on something else for my car as with that coupon, I'm getting back where I should be cost wise....
Old 08-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
Nickhead

Campermike- I think I have the exact same issue you described. How did you get to that motor and gearbox? My slide is all the way in and I don’t have 3 foot arms,lol. Are you able to manually push the slide out to get better access?
Nickhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #30
Campermike

You can't push out the slide without disconnecting the chain or cables pulling it in. I had to take all the trim off the front and then I could reach in and pull the motor out. I'm still waiting for the stupid part too... But it's supposed to be here Tuesday from a highly rated eBay seller. There is a very good video on eBay I followed to get the trim removed with minimal damage. I found this video helpful.. it's long but i watched the first but to figure how to remove the trim. https://www.google.com/search?q=bal+...bile&ie=UTF-8#

Edit: I can't figure out how to link it directly but it's the first video listed around 50 minutes.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #31
Campermike

Finally got it fixed tonight. I got the part last night and started then.. but getting the chain back on was a pita with the slide all the way in(to make sure they were at the same link as when I started). After that the rest wasn't bad at all. Once I could run the room out a bit the adjustment went well and reattaching trim was easy.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:33 AM   #32
roadglide

I’m in Sturgis and call roving Rv Teck came out Sunday repaired bedroom slide cables . My repair was very difficult because the short cable popped loose and got stuck along the track and housing side . When that happen the longer cable On the turnbuckle chain cable broke. We had to dismantle the slide Side rails for the cables and pulleys are secured. Four hours later we got it repaired . The bonus for me was having the big slide timed. The tech Instructed me to loosen all the cables when I did that the chain move around the sprocket . The big slide was 4 links out of adjustment on the chain. I had the big slide adjustment within 30 minutes with his instructions his tool. $600 later including the service call was a good deal considering my only option was CW 50 miles away . I received a text message from the Teck the day after thanking me it would have taken some time longer without my help. He actually gave me a $200 break some of it in parts Labor.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:35 AM   #33
Nickhead

Thank you Campermike, I carefully pulled off the trim and it took some time but got the motor off and ordered a replacement for the broken shaft. Not really looking forward to wedging myself back in there to get everything remounted.

Not sure if I did it right but I loosened the cables enough to pop the ends of cables from slide and then had to remove entire Motor/gearbox assembly from the back wall.

I guess we’ll see how it goes when the new part arrives.
Nickhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:17 AM   #34
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhead View Post
Thank you Campermike, I carefully pulled off the trim and it took some time but got the motor off and ordered a replacement for the broken shaft. Not really looking forward to wedging myself back in there to get everything remounted.

Not sure if I did it right but I loosened the cables enough to pop the ends of cables from slide and then had to remove entire Motor/gearbox assembly from the back wall.

I guess we’ll see how it goes when the new part arrives.
Nick,
Sounds like exactly what I went thru... I hope you marked the chain position as that will make it much easier to put together (minus having to wedge yourself in to connect them). I found I had much easier access to one side of the slide than the other... so on the side with worse access I connected the chain to the sprockets with the slide in(cable still disconnected), then carefully moved the slide out (using motor for the side fully connected and pushing on the side not fully connected) until it was out far enough to more easily reach in and connect the cable to the chain.

Tags
slide