Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,307
Auxiliary tank

I'm trying to figure out how to have an aux diesel tank and keep my cabover camper. I don't want to spend $1500 for a Titan under bed replacement tank. They don't hold that much more anyway. I was thinking a RDS in bed tank/toolbox combo. But that won't work with the cabover. Told the wife I'll just sell the cabover because I'm tired of stressing over fuel after 2 hours of pulling the 5th wheel. I ran my tank down lower than I want to on our current trip. I do carry a 5 gallon VP Racing diesel jug in the truck bed. I get better mileage with the cabover and can get in all gas stations.
I was just looking at the install instructions for the RDS tank. Not but 3 bolts holding it down. Got me to thinking....when I want to use the cabover just spin those bolts out, plug the end of the fuel hose, and cable tie it to the hold down loop in the front corner of the bed. Slide the tank to the tailgate and pick it up with my engine hoist.
What say you?? Especially those that have installed an aux tank.
__________________

__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
roadglide
Senior Member
 
roadglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nm
Posts: 1,352
The RDS empty does not weigh more than 50 pounds I am using a 60 gallon tank with the toolbox it’s nice. I have looked at cab over with a slide and pull a Harley but there again I am looking at the issue of RDS fuel cell. My RDS does not have Lift hooks Chevy and Dodge has the same bed patterns the RDS should fit either vehicle. How much would I really use Cab over Probably in storage like the pontoon boat.
__________________

__________________
2018 1 ton 4x4 c.c standard bed GMC Denali
Anderson ultimate hitch designed for a fuel cell
2015 311 Impact toy hauler
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,088
Brent, I PM'd you.
__________________
Jim in Memphis
Wife of 48 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2015 26TBUD Salem Forest River (For Alaska Trip)
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
The RDS empty does not weigh more than 50 pounds I am using a 60 gallon tank with the toolbox it’s nice. I have looked at cab over with a slide and pull a Harley but there again I am looking at the issue of RDS fuel cell. My RDS does not have Lift hooks Chevy and Dodge has the same bed patterns the RDS should fit either vehicle. How much would I really use Cab over Probably in storage like the pontoon boat.
I haven't used my cabover in a year, but we've had a lot going on. When we get back home from a month in Colorado, the Bigfoot will get loaded up for some fishing trips. Maybe some "me" trips next year.
Our first RV was a cabover back in the early 1980's. I've always liked them for easy traveling....any camp site, any gas station, any road. Great for one person, OK for 2 or 3. I hauled that first one on a lot of hunting trips, several to Colorado towing a utility trailer with gear and ice chests.
I figured I was just use my Harbor Freight chokers and lift it out with the engine hoist.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
hornet28
Senior Member
 
hornet28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 266
What length camper? I had an 8 1/2 ft that I used with my 50 gal inbed tank installed. It just hung over like a 10 or 10 1/2 footer would
__________________
07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, Idaho Rob EFI, DeeZee boards, 50 gal TransferFlow inbed tank
05 32' Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel 2 slides
1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
What length camper? I had an 8 1/2 ft that I used with my 50 gal inbed tank installed. It just hung over like a 10 or 10 1/2 footer would
9' 4".
I thought about that but I believe it would be too much over hang.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
KingFisher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Marion
Posts: 27
I wouldn't want to take my 60 gallon RDS tank in and out.

There are springs and locknuts on the bottom side of the bed. It takes 2 people to bolt it and unbolt it.
Then there's the stuck down rubber protection on the bed ribs under the tank that would probably roll up the first time it got taken out.
__________________
2019 Montana High Country 384BR
2018 Ram 3500 Dually CCLB 4x4 with Cummins 6.7/Aisin Trans/3.73 rear end gear
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,307
Thanks for the info. This is my 2nd go round with the tank/cabover issue. I'm cooling on it again. Maybe another 5 gallon jug.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,088
Of all the RDS tanks I have seen, I have yet to see a spring on one. Might I ask why you would put springs on a tank. Two screws hold it in place. What more can you do to a tank?
__________________
Jim in Memphis
Wife of 48 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2015 26TBUD Salem Forest River (For Alaska Trip)
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
Marauder11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Med Hat
Posts: 7
Titan Tank

How big is your trucks tank. I doubled my fuel volume when I went to a titan tank. I think it is the best mod I have done to my truck.
Marauder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:24 AM   #11
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 3,497
35 gallons to 55 gallons for $1500 bucks... but no bed loss... probably the way I'd go..
I've been looking at the in-bed tanks for two years and I keep coming back to the Titians..
__________________
'2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Still Plenty of truck...
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Of all the RDS tanks I have seen, I have yet to see a spring on one. Might I ask why you would put springs on a tank. Two screws hold it in place. What more can you do to a tank?
RDS has coil springs that mount over the bolts under the bed. Then a washer and nut on the bolt.
Not sure if I would use them though.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #13
gearhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liberty, Texas
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
35 gallons to 55 gallons for $1500 bucks... but no bed loss... probably the way I'd go..
I've been looking at the in-bed tanks for two years and I keep coming back to the Titians..
I'm sorta like if spending for the RDS, may as well double down for the Titan even though it has less capacity. I obviously go back and forth on this issue.

I changed out the gas tank on our 1987 Class C soon after we bought it. Went from 35 gallon to 55 gallon. That Ford 460 couldn't get from Houston to San Antonio. Did it by myself in a barn in July. Not sure if I want to do that again. Maybe November.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW LWB 4X4 Cummins Aisin 3.73
Pullrite Superlite 2600
2018 Heartland Landmark 365 Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:48 AM   #14
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm sorta like if spending for the RDS, may as well double down for the Titan even though it has less capacity. I obviously go back and forth on this issue.

I changed out the gas tank on our 1987 Class C soon after we bought it. Went from 35 gallon to 55 gallon. That Ford 460 couldn't get from Houston to San Antonio. Did it by myself in a barn in July. Not sure if I want to do that again. Maybe November.
I got a guy that'll swap mine out for $200 while I watch and drink beer.. seems like the way I'm going to go..
__________________
'2020 Avalanche 313 RS
Still Plenty of truck...
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Big 417
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Prince George
Posts: 132
Could always get a custom one made. Full height, width of box, but keep it real narrow, like 4" or something. Still be good volume. And wouldn't push the camper back much. And likely have room for filler access on the side. Get the inline auto fill kit and your good to go.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #16
LewisB
Senior Member
 
LewisB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I wouldn't want to take my 60 gallon RDS tank in and out.

There are springs and locknuts on the bottom side of the bed. It takes 2 people to bolt it and unbolt it.
Then there's the stuck down rubber protection on the bed ribs under the tank that would probably roll up the first time it got taken out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
RDS has coil springs that mount over the bolts under the bed. Then a washer and nut on the bolt.
Not sure if I would use them though.
I sure wouldn't want to "move" mine on a regular basis. We have a 2017 F350 DRW with a 48 gallon OE tank; I added a 90 gallon RDS tank. We love the combination because we can go all the way to Colorado without a fuel stop. And weight is not an issue.

Also understand your quandary because we have a 16' cargo trailer and SxS; we've considered a truck camper to use with the cargo trailer but haven't found a resolution. Love our Toy Hauler, so we probably won't ever get a camper. Good luck with your quest; watching thread with interest...
__________________

__________________
Brad
2017 F350 DRW CC 4x4
2018 Raptor 353TS
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×