Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #21
rsthomis

Custer State Park is a.favorite. Another pleasant surprise was Bear Butte state Park. There's not much at BBSP but a lake you can fish in, but it's quiet and easy to get to. Happy Trails!
rsthomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
RK1978

We came back from SD to our home in western Indiana a few years ago, and found US 20 across Iowa to be a pretty decent route. I had to go to NW Iowa last fall for parts and 20 is now a very nice 4 lane road. I prefer it to 80 because of less traffic and fewer vehicles running at high speeds. Also it is easier to see the country than from 80. I will second those that mention Mitchell SD and the Corn Palace, we had a good time touring it. There are several decent RV parks along this route, find the ones that fit your schedule. The Badlands were an unexpected pleasure when we were out there, also made the "mandatory" stop at Wall Drug. We enjoyed Crazy Horse much more than Rushmore, but everyone's tastes are different.
We stayed at Beaver Lake CG near Custer SD and found it to be a very pleasant operation and would use it again.
Enjoy your trip.
PR
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #23
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
All of the suggestion were good. One additional, don’t miss the Badlands. Just East of the minuteman site. A bypass takes you through the park and comes out at Wall where you should go to Wall Drug just so you can see what the 120 signs leading up to it are all about. Great for cowboy boots and a glass of water. Time wise you are really cutting it close. Things to see are Caves, Custer State Park, Needles Hwy in the Park (no trailer on it). Deadwood, Devils Tower, Wineries, gun fight in the street, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, no time to be bored. Did I mention a real good zip line. Badlands gets really hot, so if you plan on hiking go in the morning or later in the day. Rock Colors are nicer then anyway. This is a great trip. We have done it a half dozen times.
What are all those signs about!! I've been wondering for weeks...
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:46 AM   #24
DennisD

See Wall Drug etc,etc, etc for at least 120 times on I90. Get the kids to count them gives tem something to do.
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:56 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

The question about signs brings back the old practice of multiple signs to relay a message... Burma Shave was (I believe) the "king of signs" with their 5 sign messages placed along the roadway in farmer's fields. Back when drugstores were where shaving products were bought, it seemed every privately owned drug store had Burma Shave signs leading into town from every direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burmashave 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	27876   Click image for larger version

Name:	burmashave 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	27877  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #26
Par4x4

We are making a similar trip this August from SW Missouri. We're going through KC but then heading west on I-80 to Kearney, NB on the first day then up to Palmer Gulch KOA from the south on the second day. I went to Mt. Rushmore 45 years ago and did Wall Drug, Mitchell South Dakota, the Badlands way back then. This time I'm taking my wife and dog. We'll probably come back I-90 and then south through Iowa.
Par4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #27
Roscommon48

see the faces at night....neat.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #28
Canonman

Both Rushmore and Crazy Horse night programs are well worth seeing!
Rushmore's program is very patriotic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8902.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	27940   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9138.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	27941   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9179.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	27942  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount