Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #41
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Do you have the gooseneck ball hitch in the bed of your truck, that's how I will be doing my, they do make an adapter were you can use your four puck system. This one come with the rail for your puck. https://www.pullrite.com/2400
I use the andersen bed shaft. It was cheaper to get the andersen hitch for me as i had to buy rails for oem in the $200 something range, added to cost of pullrite took me out of comparable pricing.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #42
Big1

Yep, I saw that and I was going to invest in one but I didn't go that way. I will give an update when I go out to my fiver later this week and take some pics.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #43
KSH

I bought mine from Amazon, I think it was like $600
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #44
Big1

A Anderson hitch?
Old 03-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #45
KSH

Super lite
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076LZP5...748420_TE_item
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #46
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Okay, guys, I have a B&W Companion non-slider hitch and I love it, it is very solid but the other day I had to take out my hitch because I had to go to pick up my wife and some other lady from the airport.

I normally use my HF cherry picker but this time it was late and dark so I didn't have time to use my cherry picker, I had to take it out by hand, I can take it out in two pieces it wasn't too bad. I'm not a young man (65) so I don't want to hurt my back any more on what it is already.

So now I am rethinking my setup, I'm thinking about going with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. You guys that have one what are your take?
I'm 67 and no way would I ever get rid of my B&W hitch. I wouldn't trust anything not built out of steal plate. I pick mine out by hand every time. The biggest pain is the handle in the fenderwell. I just can't reach over the side and grab it. I am a sheet metal worker and my back isn't the best anymore. I don't have a way to use a chain hoist.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #47
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post

Yep, that's the one I bought also it's too bad I can't go and install it.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #48
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
I'm 67 and no way would I ever get rid of my B&W hitch. I wouldn't trust anything not built out of steal plate. I pick mine out by hand every time. The biggest pain is the handle in the fenderwell. I just can't reach over the side and grab it. I am a sheet metal worker and my back isn't the best anymore. I don't have a way to use a chain hoist.

Yep, I know what you mean on this statement, the Pullrite Superlite #2600 the base is made out of steel and not aluminum, I was able to get the B&W inside my bed but I just wanted something a little lighter.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:02 AM   #49
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Yep, I know what you mean on this statement, the Pullrite Superlite #2600 the base is made out of steel and not aluminum, I was able to get the B&W inside my bed but I just wanted something a little lighter.
It would be nice if it was a little lighter. All these people talk about safety and then they buy a hitch that only weighs 35#. I get that it's light but to me that's just to light. I have a 4X4 and have to back it up to the curb. I have a furniture dolly that I put the base on. I also have a board that I slide in the bed to put the square thing on. It is a beast to take out for sure. As for ease of use and i am always sure the pin is locked and not pin high. I would like to find a way to get the hitch out on a crane or something. Problem is lining up that square thing with the hole in the bed.
Thank You for the thanks.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:18 AM   #50
Northofu1

If they can build and fly all sorts of aircraft with aluminum, I feel safe.
I'm at the lowest end of the 5er weight spectrum.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #51
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
If they can build and fly all sorts of aircraft with aluminum, I feel safe.
I'm at the lowest end of the 5er weight spectrum.
I think there's a lot of misconceptions about metal strengths. "steel" VS "aluminum" strength is wholly dependent on the composition as typically they are alloys, not pure aluminum or "mild" steel".

Typically it's a matter of weight VS cost. Ships are typically steel but in the custom yacht and some naval fast attack/shallow draft ships the cost of the aluminum is justified by the increased performance.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #52
gearhead

Quote:
Yep, that's the one I bought also it's too bad I can't go and install it.
Pay attention to the foot base pads orientation when you install it. There is a curved edge and a 90degree edge. The 90 degree edge goes outside, or forward and back. The curved edge goes under the hitch, or to the inside. You have to get that right or the hitch will slide and slam. Don't ask how I know.
Also you don't have to install the piece of sheet metal with the PullRite written all over it. It serves no structural purpose. Just a billboard. Leave it off for easier access.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #53
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
It would be nice if it was a little lighter. All these people talk about safety and then they buy a hitch that only weighs 35#. I get that it's light but to me that's just to light. I have a 4X4 and have to back it up to the curb. I have a furniture dolly that I put the base on. I also have a board that I slide in the bed to put the square thing on. It is a beast to take out for sure. As for ease of use and i am always sure the pin is locked and not pin high. I would like to find a way to get the hitch out on a crane or something. Problem is lining up that square thing with the hole in the bed.
Thank You for the thanks.
When I had a conventional hitch I used a Harbor Freight engine puller. It didn't have quite enough reach to get the hitch positioned exactly. I would just slide it the couple inches more.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #54
dadnjesse

I get a kick out of every time someone posts they got a new trailer and don't have a Diesel dually that its not safe for them to be on the road but will use the Anderson hitch. You don't see any commercial trucks using anything but a Fifthwheel or Farm Agriculture using a Gooseneck.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

I have no experience with the Andersen hitch system or company, I don't have any "opinion one way or the other and I've stayed out of this discussion, so far... but:

The Andersen "ultimate aluminum hitch" was introduced on March 30, 2017.

The "Cougar XLite was introduced on in 2008 (with its sandwich floor weight reduction technology)

The Bullet "ultra-lite series" was introduced in 2010 with "improved weight reduction technology".

Keystone introduced their "Helium Technology" in the Cougar High Country models in 2011, which was an even more "impressive weight reduction technology".

It's just now (almost 10 years later) that people are realizing the problems with "light weight construction" in floors and in light weight trailers in general. There are at least 8 or 10 threads going right now ranging from inability to walk on the "lightweight roof decking" to "monoleaf springs and too light axles". Keystone has reportedly "built an entire facility specifically to repair issues with "weight reduction technology issues".

I'd ask: Has the three years that the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum hitch been on the market and in use long enough for the issues that face "light weight engineering" to come to the surface??? Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. I don't know if the "quest for less weight in fifth wheel towing and hitches" is the solution or if it might become another "part of the problem"....

No doubt, time will tell. If I were in the market for a new hitch, I would consider it as an alternative, but I'm not inclined to go out and buy anything to replace something "that ain't broke"... So, for me, there's no motivation to gain experience with the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum hitch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #56
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Pay attention to the foot base pads orientation when you install it. There is a curved edge and a 90degree edge. The 90 degree edge goes outside, or forward and back. The curved edge goes under the hitch, or to the inside. You have to get that right or the hitch will slide and slam. Don't ask how I know.
Also you don't have to install the piece of sheet metal with the PullRite written all over it. It serves no structural purpose. Just a billboard. Leave it off for easier access.

Ahhh, thank you so much and with me getting it for the first time and not having to install it yet I didn't know that this is great to hear.

So then I take it that it is easy to come off, I'm not where I can get to it now?
Old 03-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #57
Big1

Thanks for all of the comments, I have learned a lot from this thread and will continue to learn from others, it has been a good experience for me to read up on all of the things that go with camping since I've only been doing this for about three years now.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #58
gearhead

Quote:
Ahhh, thank you so much and with me getting it for the first time and not having to install it yet I didn't know that this is great to hear.

So then I take it that it is easy to come off, I'm not where I can get to it now?
The Sheetmetal on the tailgate side of the hitch is easy. It has 4 screws holding it on. I don't remember if they are Allen head or square head.
I've been happy with it. It's rated at 5,000 pin and 20,000 GVW. I'm at 4,500 and 17,500.
I would go Gooseball but they don't have anything heavier than 4,000 pin weight.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #59
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Don't get rid of your B&W! You may decide to use it again.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #60
Rangerj

Dang DadnJesse, how much does your trailer weigh? The Anderson is rated for 24,000 lbs. GTWR and 4,500 tongue weight.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch