Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
What do you do when both tanks run low or you need to fill both tanks everything that’s on propane comes to a standstill in my camper.That’s not true I could run solar battery power for the fridge. My camper the burners and wave heater will go first for some reason the refrigerator work well everything else shuts down. There will be many times I will be 15 miles or more from propane service and I refuse to leave my refrigerator not working. I always have the back tank full or almost full and very seldom take it in to be topped off.
I use the Mopeka tank sensors that connect to my phone via Bluetooth. My tanks are buried in the front cap behind a panel. Even when the panel is removed it's a PIA to see the changeover valve. The Mopeka system makes it easy to check the tank levels. It also will send you an alert when a tank runs out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
What do you do when both tanks run low or you need to fill both tanks everything that’s on propane comes to a standstill in my camper.That’s not true I could run solar battery power for the fridge. My camper the burners and wave heater will go first for some reason the refrigerator work well everything else shuts down. There will be many times I will be 15 miles or more from propane service and I refuse to leave my refrigerator not working. I always have the back tank full or almost full and very seldom take it in to be topped off.
This is the whole purpose of an auto switching regulator. If the switch is set correctly the tank that the switch is pointed towards will drain first. Once it is drained the regulator will switch to the other tent and the indicator will show red telling you Tim to manually move the switch, and fill the empty tank.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #23
roadglide

My gage will show red when the tank is near empty at that point both tanks are near gone. With both tanks open my gauge will allow equal amount of fuel. I noticed it while Boondocking for a extended time . Plugged in I use very little propane and use ele heater . The gage being set correctly that would be valve pointing to the bottle . Straight up would be equally distributed fuel ?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
My gage will show red when the tank is near empty at that point both tanks are near gone. With both tanks open my gauge will allow equal amount of fuel. I noticed it while Boondocking for a extended time . Plugged in I use very little propane and use ele heater . The gage being set correctly that would be valve pointing to the bottle . Straight up would be equally distributed fuel ?
There are two types of "automatic regulators"... Some work as you described, pointer "up or down" and the regulator draws from both tanks" on others, "up or down" shuts off all propane draw from either (all) tanks.

That "feature" is really irrelevant to using the "automatic feature" on any of the regulators commonly used in RV's... On all automatic regulators that I've seen, if you point the regulator valve to a tank, it draws from that tank and the other tank is "on standby" and will remain full until the selected tank is empty. When empty, the "red indicator" will appear in the window and the regulator will automatically switch to the full tank (isolating the empty tank).

If your regulator is drawing from both tanks equally when the pointer is "pointing to one tank" then your regulator is defective and should be replaced.

Don't just "spend $50 on a new regulator until you actually "CONFIRM" the need. Fill both tanks, turn both tanks on, point the regulator selector to one tank and "wait until it switches tanks" (as indicated by a red indicator, continued gas supply to the coach and ONE empty tank. Switch the pointer to the other (full) tank, the indicator should turn green and you can remove the empty tank without interrupting gas supply to the coach.

Remember, if you wait too long, both tanks will eventually empty, which could be the issue with your system. When the regulator switches, if you don't remove the empty tank, in about that same length of time (from start to switching) the second tank will also be completely used and the result is a red indicator, the valve pointing just like it was when you started and two empty tanks.

REMEMBER: THE SELECTOR VALVE DOES NOT CHANGE POSITION AUTOMATICALLY, ONLY THE INTERNAL VALVE SELECTS THE FULL TANK. THE VISIBLE POINTER WILL STILL BE POINTING TO THE EMPTY TANK WITH A RED INDICATOR VISIBLE. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE POINTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE REGULATOR. WHEN YOU TURN THE HANDLE, THE RED INDICATOR WILL CHANGE TO GREEN TO INDICATE GAS IN THE SELECTED TANK (THE TANK THE POINTER IS POINTING AT)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I bought the “AP products” tank monitor on Amazon for $78. It seems pretty good so far. Two magnetic sensors for bottom of tanks and a wireless display. Or you can use the Bluetooth app. I didn’t trust the factory gauge. I was sure I was pretty low on one tank and installed the new system and Configured for thirty lb tanks and unreality I was at 78% on one tank and 100 on the other. I keep one tank shut off
It’s actually a Mopeka I just realized
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:46 AM   #26
Ribtip

[QUOTE=JRTJH;418185]

That "feature" is really irrelevant to using the "automatic feature" on any of the regulators commonly used in RV's... On all automatic regulators that I've seen, if you point the regulator valve to a tank, it draws from that tank and the other tank is "on standby" and will remain full until the selected tank is empty. When empty, the "red indicator" will appear in the window and the regulator will automatically switch to the full tank (isolating the empty tank).

Mine works as stated only difference is i have a red and green on my regulator for each tank.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:54 AM   #27
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are two types of "automatic regulators"... Some work as you described, pointer "up or down" and the regulator draws from both tanks" on others, "up or down" shuts off all propane draw from either (all) tanks.

If your regulator is drawing from both tanks equally when the pointer is "pointing to one tank" then your regulator is defective and should be replaced.

Don't just "spend $50 on a new regulator until you actually "CONFIRM" the need. Fill both tanks, turn both tanks on, point the regulator selector to one tank and "wait until it switches tanks" (as indicated by a red indicator, continued gas supply to the coach and ONE empty tank. Switch the pointer to the other (full) tank, the indicator should turn green and you can remove the empty tank without interrupting gas supply to the coach.

Remember, if you wait too long, both tanks will eventually empty, which could be the issue with your system. When the regulator switches, if you don't remove the empty tank, in about that same length of time (from start to switching) the second tank will also be completely used and the result is a red indicator, the valve pointing just like it was when you started and two empty tanks.

REMEMBER: THE SELECTOR VALVE DOES NOT CHANGE POSITION AUTOMATICALLY, ONLY THE INTERNAL VALVE SELECTS THE FULL TANK. THE VISIBLE POINTER WILL STILL BE POINTING TO THE EMPTY TANK WITH A RED INDICATOR VISIBLE. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE POINTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE REGULATOR. WHEN YOU TURN THE HANDLE, THE RED INDICATOR WILL CHANGE TO GREEN TO INDICATE GAS IN THE SELECTED TANK (THE TANK THE POINTER IS POINTING AT)...
Thanks Jon that explains my gauge and clearing up my thoughts about equal flow. The way my gage with both tanks on after the front tank goes empty slight red will appear on the gage . It don’t matter I will continue leaving the back tank off . When it’s to cold or hot I’m getting full hook up. Thanks again.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #28
radargil

When my lever is pointed to one tank the indicator shows green until both tanks are empty. It should show red for an empty tank and then when I change the lever to the other full tank it should show green. Then I can take the empty one and get it filled. Then when it goes empty the indicator shows red until I turn the lever to the newly refilled tank and then it should show green. My indicator doesn't show red until both tanks are empty even though the lever is pointed to one. Did I explain it better this time?
radargil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #29
Ozarkwoods

What ever tank I am currently using I have the lever pointed to, I close the other tank valve. Yes it stops service but I know exactly when the tank is empty. I then switch the lever at the regulator to the second tank and open it’s valve, unhook the empty tank and then fill it.
Ozarkwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #30
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by radargil View Post
When my lever is pointed to one tank the indicator shows green until both tanks are empty. It should show red for an empty tank and then when I change the lever to the other full tank it should show green. Then I can take the empty one and get it filled. Then when it goes empty the indicator shows red until I turn the lever to the newly refilled tank and then it should show green. My indicator doesn't show red until both tanks are empty even though the lever is pointed to one. Did I explain it better this time?
Yup, it sounds like either you have a non-automatic regulator, or a broken automatic regulator.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #31
Javi

Okay I'll admit that I've never looked at the indicator y'all speak of...
I did run by the trailer after work just to look at it and see what all the hoopla is about.

Damned... since I only turn on one tank at a time that thingy is totally useless to me.. how much is it worth?
Old 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #32
LHaven

About $40-$50, but only maybe $15 of that is for the automatic changeover feature (you still need the regulator part).

If you don't camp in places where you rely on the furnace to keep you warm overnight (or your pets from freezing during the day), and avoid rainy areas, it's not a big deal. I camp mostly in the southland and use mostly electric heat, and I've never used the changeover feature in over 20 years of RVing.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
About $40-$50, but only maybe $15 of that is for the automatic changeover feature (you still need the regulator part).

If you don't camp in places where you rely on the furnace to keep you warm overnight (or your pets from freezing during the day), and avoid rainy areas, it's not a big deal. I camp mostly in the southland and use mostly electric heat, and I've never used the changeover feature in over 20 years of RVing.
Oh, we camp all winter but the dog sleeps in the bed with us and if I wake up and the propane ran out, I pull on my pants and go change the tank.
I grew up on butane heaters and it ain't new to me.. plus the new trailers got a fake fireplace you can turn on..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Okay I'll admit that I've never looked at the indicator y'all speak of...
I did run by the trailer after work just to look at it and see what all the hoopla is about.

Damned... since I only turn on one tank at a time that thingy is totally useless to me.. how much is it worth?
It is worth not having to get up at 2:00 am, on a cold, windy, raining night to turn on the other tank.
That convenience is worth me taking a peek at the regulator at regular intervals to see when the primary tank is empty. The regulator is located on the passenger side of the 5er, same as the entry door. Javi you don't know what you are missing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane