Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #61
Bill-2020

Maybe you’ll get a replacement out of them... but too bad it’ll be their brand you get. Better than nothing, but...
Old 11-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Maybe you’ll get a replacement out of them... but too bad it’ll be their brand you get. Better than nothing, but...
Just thinking out loud: It may not be "better than nothing".... Even if they do "give you a replacement tire" you'll still have to spend money to replace the tire cover and, "if it happens again (same brand replacement tire)" you'll be buying "yet one more" tire cover......

So, like taking home that "gift horse you got for free" you're still going to have to build a barn, buy oats, a shovel to clean out the stall and find some place that needs fertilizer..... Not much in life is "free", whether it's a "gift horse or a "china bomb".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #63
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The issue is not the cover but the fact that a tire under a black cover is aging AT LEAST 4 times faster than a tire in use and in shade or under a white cover. Aging (loss of rubber strength) rate doubles with every increase in temperature of 18F
In my simple test on a day with some clouds I measured a +38F . It might be +50 in clear sky full sun which would make the rate 8 times faster so a 4 year old tire might have rubber with the flexibility and strength of 16 to 32 year old tire. The top is going to be hotter than the bottom so there is the reason for all the tires seen with this condition to have the failure on the top. Maybe this is why you won’t find black spare tire covers o

The reason for the belt separation in the force of Interply Shear that is in all radial tires. I also cover that in my blog or you can Google Interply Shear tire and find links to technical papers.

This is not Magic folks but basic science.

A simple statement of the tire failed because the top was fully exposed to sunlight and overheated by the use of a black cover that also retained the heat in the tire. This literally baked the life out of the tire.

While I have not examined this tire there appears to be a Nylon overlay which can make a tire more resistant to this type of failure but will not completely eliminate the possibility of failure.

RE Jeeps etc that have a tire on the back. Think this could be a strong contributor to any tire failure early in life when you hear them say I checked the air in my tire but I still had a blowout. Wonder how many moved the spare from the back tailgate to a ground tire.
I agree, and the silly arguments about this is disappointing. It’s no wonder you can’t find a black spare tire cover on the shelf at a Camping World.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #64
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I agree, and the silly arguments about this is disappointing. It’s no wonder you can’t find a black spare tire cover on the shelf at a Camping World.
Actually- you can.

https://www.campingworld.com/element...ir-630124.html

Or

https://www.campingworld.com/adco-sp...%2Ftire-covers
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:46 AM   #65
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Yes, I've had to order them.
Just try to find them in the Camper World store though.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #66
Ccmano

So here's follow up a year and a half later.
After much wrangling with the tire distributor they paid me $57 for my blown up tire. Cost me twice that to replace it.

Today, had to replace all four of the TrailerKing tires. Three of them were exhibiting signs of tread belt delamination. Not my photo but looks like this...
Note the bulging of the tread vs the normal tire on the right.

After they we're dismounted from the rims large areas of blistering could be seen inside the tire. I caught them just in time. Sorry forgot to take a photo. Needless to say TrailerKings did not go back on. Check those TrailerKings before it's too late! These things are crap! They are an accident waiting to happen!
H
Old 08-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #67
sourdough
Site Team

There is another thread going at this moment about tire failures. Your post fits right in with it. John (JRTJH) had the same problem with his TKs and did get pictures of the insides of them before they failed (one did) and they showed the same blistering you describe. Yes, Trailer Kings are bad news and love to self destruct from the inside out. Glad you dodged the additional bullets....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #68
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
So here's follow up a year and a half later.
After much wrangling with the tire distributor they paid me $57 for my blown up tire. Cost me twice that to replace it.

Today, had to replace all four of the TrailerKing tires. Three of them were exhibiting signs of tread belt delamination. Not my photo but looks like this...
Note the bulging of the tread vs the normal tire on the right.

After they we're dismounted from the rims large areas of blistering could be seen inside the tire. I caught them just in time. Sorry forgot to take a photo. Needless to say TrailerKings did not go back on. Check those TrailerKings before it's too late! These things are crap! They are an accident waiting to happen!
H

You that looks like classical Belt Detachment. Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? One for each tire?
After you get the reply (case number) from NHTSA I would forward it to Keystone RV Corporate and cc the dealer that sold you the RV.

If you still have a failed tire can you check to see if the reinforcement under the tread is "1 layer Polyester + 2 Layer Steel" or is it "1 layer Polyester + 2 Layer Steel + 1 layer Nylon"?
Old 08-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #69
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
You that looks like classical Belt Detachment. Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? One for each tire?
After you get the reply (case number) from NHTSA I would forward it to Keystone RV Corporate and cc the dealer that sold you the RV.

If you still have a failed tire can you check to see if the reinforcement under the tread is "1 layer Polyester + 2 Layer Steel" or is it "1 layer Polyester + 2 Layer Steel + 1 layer Nylon"?

I hope you know how silly that all sounds for the failure of a $120-150 dollar trailer tire. And then, what would happen...nothing. Keystone buys those tires based on cost and the dealer sells the trailer with what's on it. The dealer is not going to start changing out all the tires coming in on new RVs and Keystone could give a rip if the tires fit the weight parameters. Simply wasted time when we all know a good tire from a bad one. JMO
Old 08-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #70
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hope you know how silly that all sounds for the failure of a $120-150 dollar trailer tire. And then, what would happen...nothing. Keystone buys those tires based on cost and the dealer sells the trailer with what's on it. The dealer is not going to start changing out all the tires coming in on new RVs and Keystone could give a rip if the tires fit the weight parameters. Simply wasted time when we all know a good tire from a bad one. JMO

Sorry you feel that getting products that have a design or manufacturing defect off the road is a waste of time. Does this mean you don't care when a tire fails or if an axle failed or the brakes failed or the airbag in your car failed?

DOT can order a company to replace all the problem products FREE OF CHARGE to the customer or face a $10,000 fine for EACH item. If that doesn't sound like sufficient incentive to fix an identified problem I don't understand your logic.

Maybe you have never paid attention to any auto related Recalls but they do happen.

My blog post of yesterday:

Friday, August 5, 2022

"Defect Reporting"

I have asked RV owners who had tire failures if they have reported the failures to NHTSA or to the dealer that sold them the RV. Almost universally they said they didn't bother or were told by the dealer "it's not their job".

The reality is that it is Federal law that tire failures be reported to US DOT. "defect reporting requirements, the focus of this memorandum, the TREAD Act requires automakers to notify the Secretary of Transportation within five days of discovery of a defect or the need for a safety recall. See 49 C.F.R. § 573.6." There are significant fines for failure to comply. A NHTSA complaint needs the RV VIN and the complete tire DOT serial including the date portion.
It is my opinion that if you have a failure or suspect failure and can't bother to file a complete report and include a picture you really have lost much of the right to complain about tire quality as you are effectively keeping the information from the tire company and from the Federal Agency that can order a recall after an investigation. No investigation will ever start because you posted a complaint on Facebook or an RV Forum.
=======
Old 08-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #71
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry you feel that getting products that have a design or manufacturing defect off the road is a waste of time. Does this mean you don't care when a tire fails or if an axle failed or the brakes failed or the airbag in your car failed?

DOT can order a company to replace all the problem products FREE OF CHARGE to the customer or face a $10,000 fine for EACH item. If that doesn't sound like sufficient incentive to fix an identified problem I don't understand your logic.

Maybe you have never paid attention to any auto related Recalls but they do happen.

My blog post of yesterday:

Friday, August 5, 2022

"Defect Reporting"

I have asked RV owners who had tire failures if they have reported the failures to NHTSA or to the dealer that sold them the RV. Almost universally they said they didn't bother or were told by the dealer "it's not their job".

The reality is that it is Federal law that tire failures be reported to US DOT. "defect reporting requirements, the focus of this memorandum, the TREAD Act requires automakers to notify the Secretary of Transportation within five days of discovery of a defect or the need for a safety recall. See 49 C.F.R. § 573.6." There are significant fines for failure to comply. A NHTSA complaint needs the RV VIN and the complete tire DOT serial including the date portion.
It is my opinion that if you have a failure or suspect failure and can't bother to file a complete report and include a picture you really have lost much of the right to complain about tire quality as you are effectively keeping the information from the tire company and from the Federal Agency that can order a recall after an investigation. No investigation will ever start because you posted a complaint on Facebook or an RV Forum.
=======

The truth is, I live in the real world. My time is worth something and my time, when irritated, is worth a lot more. I've filed complaints with various manufacturers in the past, filled out warranty requirements etc. I've been around a while and those things are just not worth it. As one of our members posted, tires fail because of owner abuse or hitting an object. If that is the case I fail to see why trying to spend hours and hours of my time to document a tire failure to send to the NHTSA so it can go in a file could possibly be productive or a good use of my time. Are they going to send me a new tire? Not gonna happen. Is the manufacturer? Highly doubtful, BUT, if they did it wouldn't be worth my time. I can dispose of the defective one and have a new one in a fraction of the time, and irritation, of trying to argue with a manufacturer trying to get a new tire.

And your comment about having a "right" to complain about a product failure? Blatantly wrong. When I buy a tire (or anyone) I PAY for a product that I have every right to expect to be designed and manufactured to be defect free. That purchase, that ownership, gives me plenty of "right" to complain when it fails. And I don't need to send it to a 3rd party so they can validate my right to complain or give me permission.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #72
travelin texans

The title of this thread is "spare tire blew up, by itself" while mounted to the spare tire holder, never been on the ground so therefore couldn't have hit anything on the road & over/under inflation wouldn't have been a issue so how, other than just a POS tire, can that be explained?
That same scenario has been posted here more than once so not a one of a kind incident.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #73
skids

Based on the missing paint around the lug holes, I would say that maybe that tire/wheel was mounted before. Either way, I would never put a set of Trailer Kings on my trailer.