Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
dpherod

Any TPMS Recommendations?

Hi - we're planning our first big cross country trip this summer. It seems like a Tire Pressure Monitoring System would be a good idea, especially since some of our travel will be through the hotter southern part of the country.

Any input on one brand or style versus another? The prices vary quite a bit and I'm clueless.

2018 Cougar 24' double axle TT

Thanks!

Dan
dpherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Canonman

We bought the TST 507 with the Flow Through Sensors. No repeater necessary. Monitors pressure as well as heat. They have worked really well with no issues whatsoever. Saved our vacation on the first trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7019 copy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	25807  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
dpherod

Thank you, Canonman - that's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. I really appreciate it. Stay healthy!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
GHen

TST507, flow through sensors.

Metal valve stems are recommended and inexpensive to install.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
dpherod

Thank you,GHen. I was just researching flow through vs. cap. I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

This is the article I used to help me decide:
https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-tire-p...tems-reviewed/

I ended up going with the EEzTire TPMS. It fits our need nicely and has worked very well.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
dpherod

Thank you, Mark. That's a great link!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
travelin texans

TST 507 also!
With a dually the flow thru caps aren't too handy to use. I had 10 of the regular caps, 6 on the truck & 4 on the RV, would highly recommend
Regardless of brand, adding a TPMS is one of the best, smartest add-ons every rver should invest in.
They won't prevent a blow out, but will let you know immediately you've had one rather than driving for hours with one, BTDT.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

I did the same thing you're doing. I asked here for that advice and IMO the consensus seemed to be the TST 507. We went for that with the flow through sensors. Our rims will not accept metal valve stems, but we haven't had any issues with the larger flow through sensors in two seasons and nearly 20,000 miles of towing.
Our unit came with a repeater but we haven't had to use it. We have a 27' trailer and a CC 250. The sensors also supposedly measure the tire temperatures, but I haven't found those measurements to be very accurate in absolute terms. I use those temps as relative measurements. For absolute temp mesurements, I have a laser thermal gun which was quite cheap from harbor freight.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
notanlines

We also have the TST 507 and found it satisfactory. It does lose continuity on occasion but over all it is fine. We have nothing to compare it to so I can't say it is the best.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
dpherod

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great replies. I really appreciate the insight & advice. I'll definitely settle on one and install it before our trip.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
TG10894

Have TST non-flow thru. Works great, going on three years now. No battery issues so far, and they are very accurate. I have rubber valve stems, and that also has been a non-issue. Temperature sensor actually caught a dragging brake on one trip that heated up the hub. I was impressed.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
dpherod

Thank you, TG10894. I appreciate the advice. Now we're hoping things open up soon enough for us to make our trip!
Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
faturner

I bought the Tire Minder caps with the repeater. So far they work great. Interesting when I’m going down the highway and the Sun is primarily shining on one side of the trailer, the temperature difference between sides.
faturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
thefulminator

There is one question that I don't ever see anyone ask when it comes to TPS systems. Is it required to have the tires rebalanced with the sensors installed? I know they don't weigh much and that since they are fairly close to the center of the wheel the effect is less than tire tread irregularities.

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
thefulminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #16
Tireman9

I bought TireTraker system back in 2008. Been using ever since. I like their current lifetime warrantee and the ability to program the warning levels.

One observation. You might be able to buy TPMS on eBay or Amazon but I have to wonder if the sellers have RV experience and knowledge or are just selling a product.

Re Repeater. The need kind of depends on distance and how much material (metal or wood) between the sensors and monitor. I see the new TT6o0 includes a signal booster as standard but if you don't need it with your RV setup you don't have to use it.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
bfisher003

We’ve been using the EEZTire system on a 2016 Bullet and now a 2019 Montana for about three years and have been very happy with it. It definitely saved us from a probable blowout after having a complete new set of tires installed on the Bullet we had in 2017 in Whitehorse on our way back from Alaska. The tech installing the tires said we were good to go, but after putting the sensors back on and before moving a foot I let the system cycle through all four tires. When it got to the driver side tire on the rear axle it immediately alarmed with a low pressure fault reading 32 psi. I’m pretty sure that without the TPMS we would have gone merrily on our way and probably had a blowout somewhere down the road. I’m definitely a big supporter of using TPMS.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #18
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefulminator View Post
There is one question that I don't ever see anyone ask when it comes to TPS systems. Is it required to have the tires rebalanced with the sensors installed? I know they don't weigh much and that since they are fairly close to the center of the wheel the effect is less than tire tread irregularities.

The weight of the sensors is not enough to interfere with the balance.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
We’ve been using the EEZTire system on a 2016 Bullet and now a 2019 Montana for about three years and have been very happy with it. It definitely saved us from a probable blowout after having a complete new set of tires installed on the Bullet we had in 2017 in Whitehorse on our way back from Alaska. The tech installing the tires said we were good to go, but after putting the sensors back on and before moving a foot I let the system cycle through all four tires. When it got to the driver side tire on the rear axle it immediately alarmed with a low pressure fault reading 32 psi. I’m pretty sure that without the TPMS we would have gone merrily on our way and probably had a blowout somewhere down the road. I’m definitely a big supporter of using TPMS.

We use the same system and really love it. As far as the tire stores go, you definitely want to check the tire pressure after having work done. We had metal valve stems installed by a local Les Schwab tire center (normally, a very good place) but the tech doing the work inflated our trailer tires to around 40psi. When I questioned him, he insisted this was required. I had to inflate the tires to the proper PSI myself.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
akita2255

Bellacorp TPMS

I Bought a BELLACORP system for ten wheel monitoring.. you can get as high as 20 tire monitoring at one time also this system handles up to 175 psi need for the 95 psi on trailer tire.. had mine for over two years and never a problem added four sensors to a tamdam trailer that i haul a sxs on..
akita2255 is offline   Reply With Quote