Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Mdm5487

Heat Issues

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2018 Keystone Hideout 30 BHKSWE. Last winter I had zero issues , minus a fuse going bad. This year, used just a few days has been nothing but problems. Sometimes it runs 10 mins or so like all is good and shuts off. Other times, cold air and maybe 15-30 seconds runtime. It’s a dometic thermostat. Propane tanks are nice and full. The stove runs just fine so it’s not issues with propane. Any ideas and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Mdm5487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
LHaven

My first thought is insect debris. Run a pipecleaner or bottle brush through all the relevant tubery and make sure it's clear.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have posted about this before. Suspect your thermostat. I had thermostat problems with the OE. Replaced with a new Dometic unit in 2018. It went bonkers like the issues you are having. Put another one on and it worked for a bit and then it went nuts. Called Dometic and they advised they had a bad "batch" of thermostats in 2018. Both units I bought in 11/18 turned out to be bad. Bought more (still have 1 1/2 in my pantry) and got it going correctly.

They said the "capacitive touch" faceplates were faulty. Mine were and I as unable to find a way to improve or fix them. Called Dometic, told me the above, and sent me a new one free of charge. If I were you I would call them. If you need something right now go buy one or use Amazon; 30-40 if I recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Larrylane

I had a friend that immediately had troubles with his new TT's Dometic Electronic Thermostat and was able to change it over to the previous Dometic Single Zone LCD thermostat and it solved all of his issues. PN 3313189.XXX
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Single Zone LCD Users Guide_3313325.031.pdf (1,001.3 KB, 304 views)
Larrylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #5
Roscommon48

call dometic and push for another thermostat....
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:05 AM   #6
66joej

[QUOTE=Mdm5487;371181
"Sometimes it runs 10 mins or so like all is good and shuts off. Other times, cold air and maybe 15-30 seconds runtime". [/QUOTE]

Check the sail switches. Should be a warranty item.

Just an FYI. We are in Bullhead City AZ for the winter. Had the 35,000 btu Atwood/Dometic furnace stop working. As it was still within the warranty period I called a local authorized Dometic dealer. Came out to fix it. Turns out it was the primary sail switch. According to the RV Techs who came out to do the repair this is a very common failure on this particular run of this model furnace. In fact they keep a stock of these switches as they get several calls for the same problem.
Bottom line if your furnace does not cycle past the purge stage and into ignition this is most likely the problem.
If you are out of the 2 year warranty and a bit handy it's about a half hour labour to fix. Switch is about $10 on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Had one of the LCD single zone Duo Therm thermostats in a Sunnybrook camper and it had a mind of its own. In my current camper, a 2002, it is old school with an analog thermostat and NO digital anything. I recommend using the simplest tech possible as an LCD display and touch pads and remotes are just more gee-gaws to go bad. You have to match the thermostat to your A/C head unit and your unit may not be compatible with an analog unit but the sending unit in your A/C can be swapped out for one that works with an analog thermostat (I think). Here is what I have and NEVER had an issue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duo-Therm-D...361115228ac768
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Check the sail switches. Should be a warranty item.

Just an FYI. We are in Bullhead City AZ for the winter. Had the 35,000 btu Atwood/Dometic furnace stop working. As it was still within the warranty period I called a local authorized Dometic dealer. Came out to fix it. Turns out it was the primary sail switch. According to the RV Techs who came out to do the repair this is a very common failure on this particular run of this model furnace. In fact they keep a stock of these switches as they get several calls for the same problem.
Bottom line if your furnace does not cycle past the purge stage and into ignition this is most likely the problem.
If you are out of the 2 year warranty and a bit handy it's about a half hour labour to fix. Switch is about $10 on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Joe mentioned a "sail switch" and having NO idea what this is, went online and found a good primer video which doesn't explain where/how to check a sail switch but does illustrate and explain a number of the other items folks have mentioned in this thread. See video:
https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/r...k-for-007913/#
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat