Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
TheGriz

RV Cover???

And yet another opportunity to tap the Brain Trust here!

In anticipation of the colder weather and storage of my Premier 19FBPR here in PA, I have been researching a cover for the RV. Yeesh...there sure are a lot of choices. What are some of the experiences of those of you that have an RV cover...brand, price (bang for buck) considering factors like protection, fit, durability, install/removal difficulty, storage, etc., etc.

I would very much appreciate your feedback/recommendations...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Regards,
Mike...TheGriz

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Gegrad

I had an Adco cover with the Tyvek top for a few years on my old Passport. It worked well, until it blew out along the front panel at 5 years last February. I replaced it with another Adco Designer Series and worked pretty well for the 2 months I used it. It was not very easy to put on, however. I need to sell it now since I sold that trailer.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
bill-e

I like the Adco Designer Series. In my opinion, putting on covers is all about how you fold it up and unfold it on the roof. I put mine on by myself using a ladder from only one location to get it up there and unroll/fold it. My roof isn't walkable so I use a pool skimmer pole to assist with the unfolding. Once the front is within reach I can get the rest from the ground. Takes me maybe a half hour.

Taking it off is easier as once I push the front up onto the roof (again using the skimmer pole) I can pull the whole thing off without snagging on anything from the rear.

The last task is folding and rolling it so that I can install it easily in the Fall.

Been using a cover since 2008.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Oh yes, I use a ADCO Designer as well. I have been covers for over 10 years. I have had good results. I will continue to use it. I am able to walk on my roof and I find it easy. Unless you try to put it on when it is windy then it is not safe or easy. IMO

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
440justin

CalMark covers, custom made for your RV and comes with a 6 year warranty. So far my has held up great through 4 Illinois winters.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #6
bsmith0404

The adco covers are nice, I'd research the ones you're most interested in by reading the reviews on sites like Amazon. People will tend to let you know if they've had problems. Some people don't believe in covering, they think it causes other damage such as rubbing/scratching. That may be true, but was never my experience. I do know that in NM the sun is rough on RVs and the ones we take in on trade that have been covered are usually in much better shape than the ones that are not
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
Hugo-H

Hi, you have any website information of that branch?
I live in Belgium, and just acquired a 2nd hand Keystone 31ft
Looking to buy a roof cover...
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
Hi, you have any website information of that branch?
I live in Belgium, and just acquired a 2nd hand Keystone 31ft
Looking to buy a roof cover...
I'd suggest starting a new post as this one was started 3 years ago.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'd suggest starting a new post as this one was started 3 years ago.
Now that they've brought it back to life it shows up in n the "recent threads" drop down, so why start another. Enquiring minds want to know.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Now that they've brought it back to life it shows up in n the "recent threads" drop down, so why start another. Enquiring minds want to know.
He was asking a question I presume of a response that the last response was 2 yr ago. In my observations when people open up old threads it seams like they get less attention. That's why I made a suggestion. Is that satisfactory for your inquiry?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #11
geobet

I've used several different brands over the years. I'd say its users choice when it comes to covers. The observations I have experienced here in Florida are they do a measure of UV protection but, at a tradeoff. Critters love to get under the cover, especially frogs (how they do it is beyond me). They die and the heat bonds them to the roof. I got sick of constantly cleaning up the mold and mildew created by the covers - even though they say they allow the unit to "breathe". Plus, no matter how secure I stretch the covers, there is so many protrusions on the roof that wind caused rubbing and flapping that hazed every one of my AC shrouds and vent covers. Bummer..

The one main issue that caused me to quit covering is our torrential storms during the rainy season and hurricane season. The last one blew the cover to shreds and deposited it on top of my shop. Luckily no damage to the rv. My current approach is to simply wax from bow to stern and top to bottom several times a year along with periodic application of detail spray. At almost a year now, the unit looks like it just came off the assembly line. Good luck with whatever approach you decide.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
B-O-B'03

My "cover"

-Brian
Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
cavediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
My "cover"

-Brian
I've had two from camping world. The first was the tan Tyvek it lasted two years 62 mph winds tore it apart. The second was their Gray fabric one. In one year and the sun shredded it. I think I'll try B-O-B's way.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
I've used several different brands over the years. I'd say its users choice when it comes to covers. The observations I have experienced here in Florida are they do a measure of UV protection but, at a tradeoff. Critters love to get under the cover, especially frogs (how they do it is beyond me). They die and the heat bonds them to the roof. I got sick of constantly cleaning up the mold and mildew created by the covers - even though they say they allow the unit to "breathe". Plus, no matter how secure I stretch the covers, there is so many protrusions on the roof that wind caused rubbing and flapping that hazed every one of my AC shrouds and vent covers. Bummer..

The one main issue that caused me to quit covering is our torrential storms during the rainy season and hurricane season. The last one blew the cover to shreds and deposited it on top of my shop. Luckily no damage to the rv. My current approach is to simply wax from bow to stern and top to bottom several times a year along with periodic application of detail spray. At almost a year now, the unit looks like it just came off the assembly line. Good luck with whatever approach you decide.
I'd wager it looks better than when it left the factory! I'm only replying to watch this thread as I'm on the fence also.

Sent from my pocket computer
Blogg@ - https://rv-therapy.com/blog/
GovGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
bill-e

Living in New Hampshire and parking the trailer on the north side of my house I don't have to deal with sun problems but those damn oak leaves and pine needles!

I clean my camper before covering it and it looks just as good when I take it off in the spring...to me that's worth the effort.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
14george

Adco had great luck with it
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
MarkS

I use the one that Camping World sells. It used to be Adco but is now Element, I think. Where I live is really tough on RVs and covers. Lots of snow, WIND, and UV. None last more than two years. If you buy from CW, buy the replacement warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #18
kay9medic

I used an Adco on my past TT. It probably would have held up for some years if it hadn't been shredded by heavy winds. That's the breaks of living in Tornado Alley I guess.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #19
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I use the one that Camping World sells. It used to be Adco but is now Element, I think. Where I live is really tough on RVs and covers. Lots of snow, WIND, and UV. None last more than two years. If you buy from CW, buy the replacement warranty.
Thanks for the feedback! How much is the replacement warranty (roughly)???

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
MarkS

I think the last one was for $100 for 3 year coverage, 35 ft 5er. When you bring the old one in, ask for a new warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover