Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
mmessuri

Sky Light Leak - 2021 Cougar 26RBS

Please don't mind the following rant as its frustration more than anything:

So less than 30 days ago I purchased a brand new 2021 Cougar 26BS, brought it home, and set it up as a home office (for now). Well to my frustration, after the first real rains we have had in a long time (and while I was on a VTC) I started to hear dripping sounds . After completing my VTC, I began to investigate the noise and quickly found that the sky light above the shower was dripping (see pics).

Well, since the trailer is only less than a month old, my first action was to call the service department of the dealership where I purchased to trailer at and their response was:

"It sounds like the sky light needs to be re-sealed and that is not covered under warranty so you will need to pay for the technicians time and any material he/she uses". This was followed up with "Seals need to be checked every 30 to 60 days", in which I replied, "I have only had it less then 30 days".

To my surprise (I was kinda expecting a "Oh, thats not cool, bring it in and we will get if fixed right away for you at no cost") I just received a slight chuckle (similar to a: Sucks to be you). Heck, every car dealership I have ever bought a vehicle from has covered minor repairs (if it was found to be faulty before I purchased it) for the first 30-40 days at little to no cost to me.

Now I am not faulting Keystone as things happen and seals go bad; however, it is very frustrating to be dealing with such issues not even 1 month into ownership (its making me wonder "what next??").

Ok, ill get off my soap box now and I hope the next time I post here it will be with a better set of experiences (I wont be using the trailer for anything other than an office for the next few months thanks to COVID).

BTW: I did not notice the hairline crack above the one screw until I took the picture.

-- Michael --
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_125842.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	30419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_101906.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	30420  
mmessuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your dealer is trying to deflect their lousy PDI. Any decent tech that does a half way decent inspection would have caught that when they looked at the roof.

First off, the Dicor self leveling sealant to fix that is about $15.00, I would get a tube from anywhere BUT your dealer. Dry the sealant on the roof, and apply new/more dicor. Then write it off and don’t patronize them any more. If you need more specific instructions feel free to PM me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
mmessuri

Thanks for the advice. I will defiantly pick up a tube of Dicor self leveling sealant and follow your instructions.

My only concern is voiding the warranty as the trailer comes with this "warranty forever" program and has a section under Maintenance Requirements: "All maintenance must be performed by a professional repair facility" and Inspect roof and seal roof where necessary is one of the items they call out
Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of ways to approach this issue. First, you'll need to determine if you want to "break it off in the dealer's behind" or if you want to take the "easy way out" and just fix it yourself, use this as a learning experience and NEVER spend another dime at that dealership.....

If you want to take the "easy way out", just buy a tube of DICOR self leveling sealant, clean the area around the skylight and apply new sealant. Be sure to inspect the skylight outer dome to be sure it isn't damaged or cracked. If it is, then it will need to be replaced, not just sealed...

On the other hand, if you want to "push the point" you'll "win" the battle, but maybe not the war....

The one year limited warranty does cover water leaks... Go to your owner's manual, page 10 and read the third bullet statement:

"Any water leaks or related consequential damages that arise after the limited one-year base warranty expires (water leaks are covered under the base warranty and not the structural warranty);"

The warranty "clearly states that water leaks ARE covered under the base warranty".....

I'd suggest you spend some time on this and other forums to research your "forever warranty"... It's anything but free and it only covers very limited items, typically things that do not fail often. So, your "forever warranty" is actually a "cash cow for the dealership"... It's the same "ponzy scheme" type program as the older "forever warranties" on vehicles that required all maintenance and periodic servicing to be done (at retail pricing) at the dealership.... It's a "program to keep you spending money at their service department and in the first 3 or 4 years, they'll make literally thousands of dollars from you while not providing anything but a "that's not covered and you'll have to pay" response......

Dump that dealership, but if you want to be a "horse's patoot", you can use the owner's manual to ram this one home, then hope they actually do fix your RV rather than break something else......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

"Forever warranty" definition ... You'll be waiting "Forever" to get anything paid for under the "Warranty".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
mmessuri

Smile

JRTJH:

Thank you for all the background information and for going the extra mile to point out what page I should look at!

Now, having both digested the information you provided (along with all the other posts) I have made the tough choice of fixing the item myself rather than sticking it to the dealer (I actually prefer to be a jerk about the issue; however, the dealer is an hour away and its not worth my time nor the cost of gas).

As for the Warranty Forever stuff, all I can say (after doing more research) is that I am not only glad that I did not pay for it but I now see it for what it really is (a flaming pile of horse manure).

Thanks again everyone and I hope you all don't mind if I ping you with help on this and future issues.

-- Michael --
Old 10-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Feel free to stick around and ask any questions about anything. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the current frustration you feel is a very real part of the "RV ownership experience" that every one of us has grown to love and to hate at the same time. Every RV experience is a learning event and we all "just keep on learning" as we use and enjoy our RV's.

Welcome to the forum and to Keystone's version of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"..

There will be days that you would never trade for anything and the very next day, you'll be ready to just sign the title and walk away.... That's RV'ing at its finest LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
LHaven

I have the same model (I think) two years removed, and I can tell you that cowl crack is not unusual. If you look around the cowl, you'll probably find several more you didn't notice. The rear is hollow, and just seating the mounting screws is enough to create cracks in it. I took mine off and put some reinforcement (plastic strips and glue) on the backside to stop the cracks from spreading but more cracks just developed in other locations. The plastic is way too friable. When chunks start falling off, I guess I will order a new cowl, but I'll probably dip it in something like a dilute epoxy before installing it because it's truly a chickens*t part.

Of course, none of those cracks has anything to do with your leak, which is supposed to get shortstopped at roof level.

I guess you could consider yourself lucky that the leak was over your shower pan, and not your bed.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Michael, first and foremost your dealer isn't a dealer, he's a shyster. Any decent dealership would have done exactly what you thought; so sorry we missed that, bring it in and we will take care of it right away (at no cost). These guys are hiding behind anything/everything they can throw at you (whether they are right or wrong) to dodge their responsibilities. Run from them.

You could try to "drive this home" with them and I have no doubt you could get it done, but, at what cost? They agree to fix a $15 problem and keep it for 6 months? They're not worth dealing with. We always say to research the dealer and make sure they are worth the salt and this is why.

That shroud cracking is pretty normal; nothing behind it, cinch down the screws and that "plastic stuff" just wants to crack. No big deal - just fix the sealing.

I don't know your dealer nor their structure but I would definitely, certainly, no kidding run this little deal right up their command structure. Good luck on getting it repaired; it's simple and if you have any questions there are plenty of folks to help you get it done.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
mmessuri

Status update

Ok, I have finally found some time to both order the DICOR self leveling sealant and get up on the roof to do the repair; however, once I was up there I noticed that the root cause of the problem is that the plastic dome of the skylight is cracked in at least 4 different areas (see pictures).

At this point is it recommended to just seal up the dome myself (perhaps with a different product as the DICOR is white), remove the dome and replace it, or call up the dealers service department and have some issues with them.

Thanks.

-- Michael --
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201028_151348.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	30551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_151403.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	30552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_151351.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	30553   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_151356.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	30554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_151359.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	30555  

Name:	20201028_151354.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	30556  
Old 10-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
mmessuri

Ah the joys of posting your problems Just after posting my status update I came to the conclusion that the smartest thing to do would be to quickly apply some clear Silicone sealant (followed up with some clear all weather tape if needed) and not bother packing up the trailer and heading out for a 1 hour drive to the dealers service department (just not worth the back pain!).

Thanks for the venting session and now I just need to figure out how much to bill myself for the repairs
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
tech740

Bill yourself 6 or 12 of something good. I would still replace the skylight. With temp changes and expanding and contracting the plastic will continue to crack more and more unless you drilled stop holes. Even with stop holes I would change the skylight.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #14
Sarge2

Wow! Brand new unit... I'd be ticked off too... as was said, probably better to just replace it.... or I'd be making the hour drive for them to do it..... but that's just me... give me a chance to have my say so to speak...
That whole installation looks pretty bad to begin with ... I was up on the roof the other day on mine (laying on it on a sheet of plywood actually as you can't walk on mine) putting a cover on... my skylight doesn't look as hacked up as yours does... doesn't seem right at all... JMHO..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Michael, IMO that skylight needs to be replaced. As was mentioned it is just an issue that will recur. Water running into and down to the lower edges of that skylight is not good. Like you said, it probably isn't worth trying to take it back to that dealer but you know what I would do? I would give them another run just to let them know that they owe you a skylight; that began leaking in the first rain it encountered; 30 days after picking it up new from them.....and it had 4 cracks in it they missed. Tell them you will install it. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot and, if done like I would do it.....I would feel much better no matter how it turned out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
notanlines

Michael, all good advice so far. Yes, I also would replace the skylight, even at my own expense. Then you won't keep remembering this every time you look at it.
Now, keep in mind that we can be a somewhat vindictive group, you need to post your entire experience on EVERY SINGLE SPECK of social media available. Start by naming the stealership right here. Then on to Facebook and right on down the line. Only tell the truth, but the whole truth including all the names.
And be sure to keep us informed of your progress. Be sure to include the parts like when you punch the sales manager, and....well, maybe it shouldn't advance that far, but if it does we want to know about it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
Steveo57

I admin a Facebook group for Keystone Cougars and we have seen a rash of new trailers with cracked skylights. I talked to a contact at Keystone and they are aware of the problem and have recently switched vendors for the skylights.
I would contact Keystone and work with the dealer to get a new one installed.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:58 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

My skylight broke after getting into a fight with a tree limb a couple years ago. I carefully measured the outside dimension which is much more importan than the inside dimension. On the old skylight, noted that if the screws were overtightened, the plastic cracked easily. In any case, I bought a new skylight from an eBay seller who makes them himself out of Lexan. You can find this guy on ebay by using the search term "skylight lexan". He always shows his product using a picture of him standing on one to show its strength.

I cleaned all the old Dicor from around the hole and left the inside garnish and lower plastic in place. I set the new Lexan skylight on top a bed of butyl tape and used new screws to retain it. I used Dicor self leveling sealant to seal the outside on the roof. I understand there may be special sealants for skylights but didn't know this at the time. I got the dark tint skylight. On many of this guy's auctions he lists a price of $999.99 and I believe that is a code to contact him directly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXAN-Heavy...oAAOSwhvFZHk71
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
bigguy0602

I just bought a 2021 Cougar 22rbs. Brought it home last week. Today noticed a leak in the shower around the sky light. Upon further inspection found a crack in the skylight cover on the roof. Bought the RV from Camping World. I am about to give them a call. Hopefully with better results.
bigguy0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

No special sealants needed. Butyl or putty tape on the roof surface and Dicor self leveling on the edge making sure to cover the screws. Forest River uses eternabond instead of Dicor. Probably cheaper and faster but I’m not sure it makes replacement easier.

Tags
cougar, leak, light