Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
BeagleMan

Keystone Gens?

DW and I went to a dealer on Monday to pass the day looking at Montana and talking to a pretty good sales guy, he mentioned something about the one model we liked, that it had a 1000 watt Inverter and is gen prepped and it has a storage place in the front storage for the generator. Keystone has their own Generators? Exactly how does that all work anyhow?
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
DW and I went to a dealer on Monday to pass the day looking at Montana and talking to a pretty good sales guy, he mentioned something about the one model we liked, that it had a 1000 watt Inverter and is gen prepped and it has a storage place in the front storage for the generator. Keystone has their own Generators? Exactly how does that all work anyhow?
Not to my knowledge.. but if they got a residential fridge they going to have an inverter. And yep.... the Montana, Alpine & Avalanche are genset prep'ed ... Most folks go with a Cummins Onan RV genset.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
I don't think Keystone has "their own" generator line, but if there's a metal enclosure in the front compartment then it's wired for them to add a Onan genset into that enclosure which will likely be enough to power the entire coach when shore power is unavailable.
The 1000 watt inverter is probably connected to a dedicated plug &/or battery to run the residential fridge while traveling & nothing else.
Just FYI if you're looking at a rv of that size, 32'+ or over about 12000 GVWR, to offer these options a 1 ton truck will be mandatory, a 3/4 ain't gonna be enough truck due to too little payload regardless of brand or what the rv/truck dealer will/did tell you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Not to my knowledge.. but if they got a residential fridge they going to have an inverter. And yep.... the Montana, Alpine & Avalanche are genset prep'ed ... Most folks go with a Cummins Onan RV genset.

Pricey little buggers, aren't they? Yeah, I hit rewind.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I don't think Keystone has "their own" generator line, but if there's a metal enclosure in the front compartment then it's wired for them to add a Onan genset into that enclosure which will likely be enough to power the entire coach when shore power is unavailable.
The 1000 watt inverter is probably connected to a dedicated plug &/or battery to run the residential fridge while traveling & nothing else.
Just FYI if you're looking at a rv of that size, 32'+ or over about 12000 GVWR, to offer these options a 1 ton truck will be mandatory, a 3/4 ain't gonna be enough truck due to too little payload regardless of brand or what the rv/truck dealer will/did tell you.
So, I'm back to getting a 450 again?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
So, I'm back to getting a 450 again?
Thought you was going with a dually... F350 when did you change to a 3/4 ton?
Old 10-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
BeagleMan

Quote:
Thought you was going with a dually... F350 when did you change to a 3/4 ton?
I haven't yet. I was going to go with F-350 Dually, but TT in the post above suggests I might need more. If I get a 40+ footer, will a 350/3500 not do it? I kinda thought so.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
ChuckS

And there are variations of “Genset prepped” so ask if the transfer switch is wired in already and verify enclosure is there for Onan 5500... usually what’s factory installed... or retrofit install

Also with residential fridge and inverter to power it IF you are going to boon dock then you need two batteries for that fridge and two batteries for coach power... and an isolator between both banks...

My model Alpine doesn’t come genset prepped nor would I want to give up that storage space all the time ... not to mention the added pin weight

The inverter in the 3 units mentioned above is solely for AC power from a battery to run that 120 volt AC residential fridge...and nothing else

Also with that Propane powered Onan generator you will burn a lot of propane that will take away what you have for heater, water heater, etc depending whether you boon dock camp or not...

Lots to read about and gain as much knowledge as possible prior to making a purchase.

And... I’d have to ask the salesman if you are looking at Montana, Alpine, etc if the issues with KeyTV have been resolved yet... if sales person says there are no issues find another salesman

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
I haven't yet. I was going to go with F-350 Dually, but TT in the post above suggests I might need more. If I get a 40+ footer, will a 350/3500 not do it? I kinda thought so.
Remember they got the same GVWR... high dollar tires, little bigger brakes and wider frontend is the only difference.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
BeagleMan

Quote:
Remember they got the same GVWR... high dollar tires, little bigger brakes and wider frontend is the only difference.
Ok. Right, thats why I went with the 350/3500 size. Are they not 1 ton trucks?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
bsmith0404

As mentioned the generator that would go into the unit from Keystone is the Onan 5500 and it would run off your LP. Personally I prefer portable units so you can take it when needed, leave it at home when not. They fit perfectly in the front of the truck box between the cab and the 5th wheel hitch. The inverter is for the fridge only and will run about 1-2 days on two batteries.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
As mentioned the generator that would go into the unit from Keystone is the Onan 5500 and it would run off your LP. Personally I prefer portable units so you can take it when needed, leave it at home when not. They fit perfectly in the front of the truck box between the cab and the 5th wheel hitch. The inverter is for the fridge only and will run about 1-2 days on two batteries.
At $4k plus, I'll pass. Might do that somewhere down the line, but we would be stationary for a while I work on getting my TV. But, DANG!! They like them! Are they THAT good?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
And there are variations of “Genset prepped” so ask if the transfer switch is wired in already and verify enclosure is there for Onan 5500... usually what’s factory installed... or retrofit install

Also with residential fridge and inverter to power it IF you are going to boon dock then you need two batteries for that fridge and two batteries for coach power... and an isolator between both banks...

My model Alpine doesn’t come genset prepped nor would I want to give up that storage space all the time ... not to mention the added pin weight

The inverter in the 3 units mentioned above is solely for AC power from a battery to run that 120 volt AC residential fridge...and nothing else

Also with that Propane powered Onan generator you will burn a lot of propane that will take away what you have for heater, water heater, etc depending whether you boon dock camp or not...

Lots to read about and gain as much knowledge as possible prior to making a purchase.

And... I’d have to ask the salesman if you are looking at Montana, Alpine, etc if the issues with KeyTV have been resolved yet... if sales person says there are no issues find another salesman

Just left the dealership about 3 hours ago checking on my trailer. One of the items was non functional KeyTV. We did decide on a cure for mine - remove it. They are just going to put standard faceplates with the coax attachment at all locations. In that way I can connect whatever I want to whichever location. The KeyTV replacement parts are still on order without any idea of when they might get them. We are prepping to leave for FL so don't have the time to wait. Told them I would just pick it all up when I got back and put it in a drawer for the next owner if they wanted to use it. SM said they are still coming in with problems.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #14
chunker

Quote:
Ok. Right, thats why I went with the 350/3500 size. Are they not 1 ton trucks?
Yes the 350 and 3500 trucks are "1 ton" but that's really a misnomer. The 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton are older designations for the "step up" in cargo capacity. My Ram 3500 has a payload of 4207# but that doesn't make it a 2 ton. The Ram dually I'm looking at has a 5300# But still called a 1 ton. The differences between the 3 "classes" is frame, brakes and suspension mainly. They all are technically light duty trucks. Medium duty MDT and heavy duty HDT are like your Volvo, Mack, etc. The heavy duty label/badge you see on these light duty trucks is something like putting sport on a minivan.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #15
bsmith0404

Quote:
At $4k plus, I'll pass. Might do that somewhere down the line, but we would be stationary for a while I work on getting my TV. But, DANG!! They like them! Are they THAT good?
On board gens are typically in the $7-8 k range. For the portable I’d go with the onan P4500i. It’s around $1,000 and will run a 30 amp coach. If you want to run both ACs on a 50 amp, get two of them and a 50 amp parallel kit total investment is less than $2500.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #16
nellie1289

I am about to pulll trigger on Montana with the onan. Can you run it when going down the road for an hour or so before you get to location. This is why I want it. To run the ac
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I am about to pulll trigger on Montana with the onan. Can you run it when going down the road for an hour or so before you get to location. This is why I want it. To run the ac
Yes you can as long as you’re not in an area with tunnels that require LP to be shut off or empty. I’ve never run into that, but have heard about it. I think that’s mainly east coast areas.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
On board gens are typically in the $7-8 k range. For the portable I’d go with the onan P4500i. It’s around $1,000 and will run a 30 amp coach. If you want to run both ACs on a 50 amp, get two of them and a 50 amp parallel kit total investment is less than $2500.
Problem with this pair is at 98 lbs each I wouldn't consider them as very portable.
The Onan 6500 LP model is $5700 & would/should run everything onboard.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:33 AM   #19
notanlines

As TT says, the 6500 Onan will easily run it all. We are in our third season and wouldn’t be without it. And yes, you can run it underway.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes you can as long as you’re not in an area with tunnels that require LP to be shut off or empty. I’ve never run into that, but have heard about it. I think that’s mainly east coast areas.
The tunnel LP question is often asked. The simple and typical answer depends on whether or not the tunnel goes underground or traverses the top of a hill. LP gas is heavier than air, that's why the LP leak detectors are mounted near the floor.

Therefore, when a tunnel traverses a hill the center of the tunnel is the high point and any LP gas would flow down and out of the tunnel.

On a tunnel traversing a body of water or running beneath a city the center of the tunnel is the low Pont. So any LP leak will run down to the low point (the center of the tunnel) and accumulate.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone