Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #41
Ken / Claudia

When my black tank over flows on bumpy roads and floods the bathroom. I hire homeless folks to clean it up with sponges. No worries, it's then ready for the next trip.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 AM   #42
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwonderful View Post
Can a full black water tank overflow when towing on bumpy road? or there is a valve that can be completely shut off?
It would flow into the shower first. If you fill the shower pan, then you may have a problem, one that I have never heard of.

Also, if you are concerned, don't travel with overfull tanks.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 AM   #43
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
It would flow into the shower first. If you fill the shower pan, then you may have a problem, one that I have never heard of.

Also, if you are concerned, don't travel with overfull tanks.
Unless the shower was plumbed to the black tank, there is no way for it to. I know there is the odd trailer that does have the shower drain into the black tank, but the vast majority doesnt.

OP: the black tank will not spill or overflow on a bumpy road. It would have to get past the toilet bowl seal or travel uphill to the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #44
BrooksFam

I stand corrected. It would be the grey water tank that can overflow into the shower.

A few years back, a family had rented a class C MH for the first time. They were across the road from us. The husband came to me as told me his shower was filling up with waste water. I went over and noticed they did not have the sewer drain hooked up. He said they have been using water as if they were home ( 1 day) and did not know there was a capacity limit on the tanks. Well, after getting them hooked up and drained, all was well. So, it "could" happen I guess...………

Also for the black tank, wouldn't the toilet valve have to fail to let black waste slosh onto the bathroom floor??

Old 10-12-2020, 06:16 AM   #45
BrooksFam

OK, I've wasted to many brain cells on this now...………..

Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #46
Ribtip

This one maybe leaking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201013-122441_Gallery.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	616.2 KB
ID:	30323  
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #47
goducks

Going on 10 years with floor vents in 3 RV's. Never ever an issue with water in the vent. Yes some debris may make it's way in to the vent. But honestly who cares? A couple screws to remove the cover and a vacuum once a year fixes that issue.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

My BIL spilled a beer on the floor of his SOB a couple years ago. Trust me when I say that "with a straw, he was able to extract nearly all of that beer"... Using a vacuum to remove some "spilled water" from a floor register would, IMHO, be even more efficient than watching his "tear filled eyes as he diligently recovered his adult beverage"....

As for "gray water overflowing a shower and contaminating a floor register duct system..... Someone (again IMHO) would have to be either unconscious or so incompetent that they shouldn't be allowed to shower without adult supervision if they allowed that to happen.....

Certainly a "reasonably functioning adult" would recognize the situation long before it reached catastrophic proportions.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My BIL spilled a beer on the floor of his SOB a couple years ago. Trust me when I say that "with a straw, he was able to extract nearly all of that beer"... Using a vacuum to remove some "spilled water" from a floor register would, IMHO, be even more efficient than watching his "tear filled eyes as he diligently recovered his adult beverage"....

As for "gray water overflowing a shower and contaminating a floor register duct system..... Someone (again IMHO) would have to be either unconscious or so incompetent that they shouldn't be allowed to shower without adult supervision if they allowed that to happen.....

Certainly a "reasonably functioning adult" would recognize the situation long before it reached catastrophic proportions.....
Attaboy John! Perfect response!
The only issue I've ever had with something in the floor vents was my youngest granddaughter dropping M&Ms into the living room vent. After removing the candy I put screen on the underside of all the registers to prevent the waste of good candy in the future.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #50
Rwake901

I understand why they put heating ducts in the floor but why don’t the furnace’s in RV’s have filters?
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #51
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwake901 View Post
I understand why they put heating ducts in the floor but why don’t the furnace’s in RV’s have filters?
Look at where they are located in the RV, it might be possible to put a filter on the intake vent from the interior of the trailer but usually the actual heating intake is several inches to several feet from those vents.. We aren't dealing with an air handler like in a home.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #52
Rwake901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Look at where they are located in the RV, it might be possible to put a filter on the intake vent from the interior of the trailer but usually the actual heating intake is several inches to several feet from those vents.. We aren't dealing with an air handler like in a home.
Looks like the dust buildup in the furnace from not having a filter will effect efficiency and could be a fire hazard. Just looking at it from a safety and maintenance position.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #53
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwake901 View Post
Looks like the dust buildup in the furnace from not having a filter will effect efficiency and could be a fire hazard. Just looking at it from a safety and maintenance position.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #54
bbells

Floor registers also heat the floor. Otherwise the floors would be very cold on cold mornings.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #55
Jctozer51

Floor heating vents

As most have stated, floor vents are the most efficient way to pipe heat into campers. Our Cougar has there for vents and one wall vent. We use magnetic covers to keep dirt and anything out. I wouldn’t recommend trying to run anything down the vents hose as most are like dryer exhaust hoses and can be easily punctured.

Besides our inside vents, we have a hose that runs hot air to the gray and black tanks area. With the bottom being sealed, the heater hose and the separate tank heaters keep their liquids from freezing.
Jctozer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #56
bbells

You don't need a filter in an RV furnace. First, there is no AC plenum, so dust won't clog it up. Second, it is a small space. You just don't need one.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #57
77shovelhead

I went to the local craft store got a sheet of magnetic paper cut to fit over ventswhen not in use keeps dirt and debri out
77shovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #58
Tom N OH

Quote:
My wife told me pantyhose were no longer sold in Texas.
Your wife lied to you.

Quote:
In our case the groundskeeper hit the valve on the y at the faucet with a weedeater and turned the black tank flush onHe didn't know what he was doing and we didn't know it happened. Thought we would take a nap and after I was there about 5 minutes told DW I thought I smelled something like propane....or something. Waited a couple of minutes trying to figure it out and it got worse so hopped up and headed downstairs to check the appliances. Got to the kitchen and she began hollering that water was coming out of the toilet. I ran outside, turned off the water and found the Y valve on...and was thoroughly POd because I had watched him weedeat out there thinking (it's about time). Thankfully we had just dumped and rinsed the tank that morning so it wasn't very dirty, but a real pain none the less. I now keep a 2nd off valve connected in the convenience center to prevent a recurrence of that.

Sorry Javi, I didn't take pictures as I was pretty busy cleaning up and assessing what might have happened.
How did the water get past the flush valve in the toilet? If the toilet was sealing properly, it never should have been able to back up into the toilet, you should have had water running off the roof from the black tank vent.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
Your wife lied to you.

How did the water get past the flush valve in the toilet? If the toilet was sealing properly, it never should have been able to back up into the toilet, you should have had water running off the roof from the black tank vent.

Don't know. That was my thought afterward but didn't really worry about it at the moment DW was hollering. It was a brand new trailer so doubt the flush valve was bad....but it was a Thetford....and I had a new Dometic on the way so didn't really worry about it. DW said it was "coming out" of the toilet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #60
Nhkev

Mr 367

Good ?. And why are the vents with such a low grade material. They sent when walk on!
Nhkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, vent, water