Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
larryflew

Alpine to which toyhauler or bunk?

We are finding we need another bedroom if we are to keep doing winters out of Minnesota. Have been in our Alpine 35 footer for about 6 years (it's 2011) which means we are kind of used to all the extra like Lippert hydraulic slides and level up, automatic in place sat antenna (currently on DTV), huge basement storage (not as important as it used to be) and very nice woodwork etc. Having had other trailers I do prefer hydraulics for slides and need level up. Antenna and storage not as big of a deal.

Will be looking for another Keystone since we really like the Alpine but not totally stuck on Keystone. Had a couple Forest Rivers that where not that great but that was long ago. Suggestions for which model or models might get us those things.

At this point will probably consider taking a loss and trying to find a trade from a dealer.

Thanks for any help at all.

Also have a general toy hauler question. Does the GVW include the toy estimate because we will never be hauling any toys. About maxed with our alpine at 16,500 listed (less than that weighed) Simplified question, if the TH is listed at the same 16,500 is it going to be lighter than ours or if not including toys will it be the same?
Old 08-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
travelin texans

When we were shopping for a full-time rig we thought a TH would be great providing a hobby room & extra storage, but at that time all that we looked at the living/kitchen areas were much too cramped feeling. Also the TV's were mounted 90 degrees to all the seating & mounted nearly to the ceiling giving you a stiff neck & headache trying watch tv. The other drawback was the triple axle, too many tires to be replaced & very severe scrubbing backing into sites.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
larryflew

Thanks for the insight. Not sure how we can get to another bedroom without going that route. We winter close - Casa Grande.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
ChuckS

Having owned two toy haulers prior to now owning my Alpine I think you are going to not be happy with any fifth wheel toy hauler from a maintenance and towing stand point...

Triple axles are a pain in the butt and the middle tires take a huge beating... plus suspension is a pain... the rear cargo door can be a constant source of leaks due to door warping, lousy seals, etc..

And with 3 air conditioners the power management module that maintains load sharing is a real sweetheart to troubleshoot when you have 120 VAC issues..

Also with the pin weight I’d just have to have a dually ... my opinion.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
dutchmensport

After owning an Alpine, you'll have a hard time finding anything that will top it.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
After owning an Alpine, you'll have a hard time finding anything that will top it.
Love the Alpine but NEED another bedroom. Replies are telling I might be better off quitting RV and rent were we want to go :-(
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
purebred

After being in our alpine for a year now there is no way I would downsize the living size for a toy hauler. Of course that is me but we looked at many a fifth wheel before deciding on all the options available. It came down to a Alpine, or Montana and we chose the Alpine. Glad we did.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
Love the Alpine but NEED another bedroom. Replies are telling I might be better off quitting RV and rent were we want to go :-(
Don't let anyone talk you out of whatever you want!
You ask for OPINIONS, you got OPINIONS as to why we did or didn't get what you've mentioned, nothing said about scrapping the whole idea.
I'll guarantee you will not be the 1st, nor the last, to buy a rv & after a couple outings find out it doesn't work as well as you were sure it would, then turn around & trade it for what you now know you really want or need.
I'd keep looking or get the toy hauler. I'm not aware of any 2 bedroom 5th wheels out there, there are bunkhouse models & there's so many brands out there that you'll have plenty to look at.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
larryflew

Thanks again for all the answers. No need for any more. I know I personally would not be happy in something other than our current Alpine but it's an actual need to get to a 2nd bedroom or quit traveling.

I really appreciate the information on toy hauler towing etc. I doubt we will go that route now that we looked at a couple and heard from owners etc.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
bearcat77

Just one more answer. Did you find any rear den models to look at? We have a Montana High Country 362RD. Obviously, it doesn’t have all the features an Alpine has, but you might like the layout. The opposing slides make the bunk room feel huge. And big windows let in a ton of natural light and give you an expansive view of your surroundings. It has its own entrance, it’s own half bath, a sleeper sofa, 2 recliners, and the usual 2 bunks plus entertainment center. Our last bunkhouse felt like a coffin. This one feels like a real family room. Could easily be a bedroom.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
LewisB

I know you said you had enough, but IMHO you got a very skewed set of opinions on toy haulers. Our last two rigs have been toy haulers and we LOVE them. Our current rig is two axles (I agree with the three axle comments) and the garage is our family room, sewing room, dining room, guest bedroom, and yes, occasionally, also a garage. It has its own 1/2 bath, big windows, its own access door, and also its own deck with lights and awning! And we have yet to have any "leaks" around the big ramp/deck door. We travel without toys maybe 50% of the time. So, just to go on record not everyone dislikes toy haulers.

It IS important that you look at all the advantages and disadvantages of any potential purchase. Toy haulers tend to be "front heavy" to accommodate heavy items behind the axles. But you can always help that with smart loading. They are better suited for true "camping" (no hook ups) with larger tanks, built in generators, on board fuel systems, etc. However, if you are a "park" camper and almost always stay where you have hook ups, you might be happier with something other than a toy hauler. Here's a video of our current rig with a lot of time spent in the garage - its is one of our favorite things:

Just be open minded - you have lots of experience already. It's good to listen to others, but also recognize this is sort of like asking "what's the best truck brand?". Ask that question of 10 forum members and you will get 12 answers.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #12
rbrdriver

I'm curious if a park model would work. Of course that's assuming you are always on hookups. Just thinking outside the box............
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
Big 417

Keystone makes a bunk room model in pretty much all their 5 er brands. Even the Montana. It's a seperate room off the kitchen.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #14
vettman1

Try to find a used Alpine 3900re. It's a toyhauler (made for single motorcycle, or ATV) side loader. I have one and it's great to load up stuff before we go. We lower the ramp and load everything. We also use the toyhauler room for an extra bedroom (we added a bed). The last year they made them was 2018. I have a 2018 and it sounds like it's everything you want.

Here's a used one. https://rv.campingworld.com/rvdetail...50k-CFI1809591
vettman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
Phil Saran

Have you looked at any 5th wheels that have the bunk room in the middle?
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #16
dutchmensport

I still think you can't beat the Alpine, but if you are wanting a second bedroom fifth wheel, have you considered a mid-bedroom fifth wheel. There are many out there. I did a Google search (Images) and these came up. Have fun dreaming! Click here
Old 09-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
WisconsinPete

We love our Avalanche 385BG.

I think it's the same quality and finish as the Alpine, according to our dealer.

It has a very small garage, only 8', that works perfect as an extra room with bunks, storage, office, etc. It doesn't work so well for big toys, but we only haul our bikes or a chest freezer if we're hunting, or other bulky items back there, so for us it's perfect.

The living area is a normal size, not compromised like many of the toy haulers are. We also like the deck for our dog to keep him clean or let him dry after he gets wet.

I wish they made more floorplans with the small toy hauler area. Not everyone wants to haul the big toys, we only want a multipurpose extra room.
WisconsinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #18
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

We have a fuzion 385 and we love it. Its got 2 axles, not all toyhaulers have triples. The garage is 13ft and we usually put our golf cart in it when were moving and our kids sleep in it when were sitting. We love the rear patio when we set it up and the fuzion and raptor have interiors on par with anything keystone makes.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, toyhauler