Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Bschwe01

2019 2500 Silverado HD - how much 5th wheel can I actually haul?

I have a 2019 2500HD Silverado with the fifth Wheel package and plow package from the factory. We currently haul a 35 foot travel trailer and are strongly considering a fifth wheel. The options we like take us to 40 feet and 10,000 to 12,600 pounds. At 12,600 we are at 97% of our towing capacity according to the Chevy Web Site and their stats on what you can haul.
I guess my real question is can I really haul at 97% of my recommended capacity and not hurt my drive train or truck? Can I actually climb a hill (we rarely leave Michigan to camp or travel more than 4-6 hours away) on the highway? I see people with my truck zipping down the highway all the time with trucks like mine and similar weight, but do they tear up their trucks over a 4-5 year time?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance. I suspect their are all sorts of people who have asked this, or you probably have yourself and know the answers. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
notanlines

First, before we can tell you anything, we need to see a photo of the yellow sticker on the door jam of your truck. We can then tell you within reason what pin weight you can 'haul' and go from there. We could use a little info about your truck also, but mainly the ACTUAL photo of that sticker. And we won't be interested in anything from the GM website. They learned the BS ways from Ford so they are good at the baloney stories!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome. I will tell you up front that your question has been asked by many, many folks seemingly daily. I'm glad you are asking because it very important to the safety of you and your family along with your enjoyment of the RV you purchase.

You will get straight, knowledgeable answers here. Hopefully your mind is not already made up and you are just looking for validation of your thoughts; which you don't sound like you are.

First, without even asking for any specifics, I will tell you that a 3/4 ton truck, none, is capable of safely towing a 40' 5th wheel. Secondly, what brand/model of 40' 5th wheel are you looking at? I've looked at probably hundreds and I've not seen a 40' model that weighs 10-12.6K. Even unloaded. You need to look at the gvw of the prospective trailer. At 40' you will be looking at 14k up I figure. My former 3/4 ton had a 3190 payload and this trailer had an 11,500 lb. dry weight....too much for that truck.

To get where you need to get look at the door sticker/placards inside the driver door of your truck. It will tell you payload (carrying capacity) and gawrs. Those will guide you in how much you can load on your truck. You can discard the Chevy website, brochures, max tow rating and everything else. The numbers on that door will dictate what, and how big, your truck can safely and legally tow. The other numbers are generic and specifically meant to misguide and mislead propective truck buyers into thinking they are buying a "beast" capable of towing a freight train - they cannot. Specifics on your truck would also be very beneficial; engine, tranny, cab type, bed length, axle ratio etc. Post back and you will get some valuable insight that may save your bacon.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

40 feet at 12,00 pounds? That’s probably the “dry” weight. That weight is meaningless. You need to use the GVWR of the trailer and 20% of that weight for the pin weight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I think you will be fine. However a 40 footer is rather large. I have a 34' er and going to a 35+footer and that will be enough for my truck. They keep increasing the capabilities of these trucks. Mine is a 15 and the 19's tow so much more. You can safely tow at 100% of towing capacity that's why they have that number in the first place. It's what the truck is capable of. With the diesel there will not be a problem climbing any hill or mountain. As a matter of fact I pass cars and trucks all the time. Never had to floor it over any mountain. I have been coast to coast twice and no mountain I couldn't climb with ease.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
rhagfo

2019 GM 2500 with a tow rating of about 13,000# makes me think it is a 6.0 gas engine. So you may have enough payload, it not enough grunt.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 07-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

OP, RufRider has made many posts telling folks that weights don't matter, the stickers that say "must not exceed" etc. don't matter - in fact should be 'ripped off the door". And it seems he believes he can tow anything with anything that will make it move. That's wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....and to their day in court given the right circumstances. The OP asked if he could safely tow up to 97% of his "towing capacity". That is not in a brochure, nor the max towing numbers touted by the manufacturer; the guidelines are posted, by law, on the inside of the driver door. THOSE numbers will dictate how much weight you can load on the truck and thereby the size of the trailer. The max tow "bloviated guestimates" from the manufacturer have zero bearing on anything. Your truck gives you YOUR individual numbers via the placards. Anyone that tells you that you can safely tow at 100% of your advertised towing capacity doesn't know of what they speak - I see them overloaded every day on the highway......
Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
I think you will be fine. However a 40 footer is rather large. I have a 34' er and going to a 35+footer and that will be enough for my truck. They keep increasing the capabilities of these trucks. Mine is a 15 and the 19's tow so much more. You can safely tow at 100% of towing capacity that's why they have that number in the first place. It's what the truck is capable of. With the diesel there will not be a problem climbing any hill or mountain. As a matter of fact I pass cars and trucks all the time. Never had to floor it over any mountain. I have been coast to coast twice and no mountain I couldn't climb with ease.

To any newbies reading here DISREGARD THE ABOVE COMMENTS!!!
This is VERY bad information to be posting!!
Every truck has a payload limit posted on the drivers door also with axle ratings, these will all be exceeded long before the max tow rating of the truck is ever reached.
The max tow rating for trucks was/is determined by towing low utility trailers loaded with concrete blocks which is night/day different than towing long tall RVs.
Yes most any truck will move any size/weight rv but doesn't mean it should & won't be doing it safely for the occupants or others on the highway.
Unfortunately a 3/4 truck is not up to safely towing a 40' 5th wheel weighing in at 14k.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-02-2020, 03:23 AM   #9
busterbrown

The advice given was brutally honest. It is sound advice, safe advice, and prudent advice. Heed their advice. The senior members here have been towing for plenty of years and have a good understanding of all the "dynamics" of a safe rig.

And stay well away from the social media outlets that spew "you'll be fine", "I tow larger and don't even know it's back there", or "that diesel will pull like a train" sentiments.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

Old 07-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #10
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Towing is always a heated subject. And i am totally correct in my post!!! There is NOTHING on that sticker that says it comes from the DOT. Nothing on that sticker that says it means anything. You guys that have a lawyer on speed dial make me lough. Some of you think that the manufacture makes the towing numbers up. But you are wrong again. These numbers are certified by SAE tests that now all manufactures go by. To say that a guy can't to at max capacity is not true. Pick on me if you must but some of you can't handle the truth. Sourdough
Old 07-02-2020, 04:56 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Towing is always a heated subject. And i am totally correct in my post!!! There is NOTHING on that sticker that says it comes from the DOT. Nothing on that sticker that says it means anything. You guys that have a lawyer on speed dial make me lough. Some of you think that the manufacture makes the towing numbers up. But you are wrong again. These numbers are certified by SAE tests that now all manufactures go by. To say that a guy can't to at max capacity is not true. Pick on me if you must but some of you can't handle the truth. Sourdough

Tow rating and payload are tested on any truck sold today. These numbers indicate the amount a truck can safely tow. The industry now subjects trucks to tests known as SAE J2807, the certification process for vehicle tow rating. Telling someone that they can operate a truck in an unsafe manner is uncool. Everyone can surely have their own opinion but if you operate a truck that exceeds either towing capability or payload is unsafe by the numbers and not by an opinion. Mr. +Ruff I get the distinct feeling you are a troll.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...is-calculated/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 07-02-2020, 05:14 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
To the OP and others:

The opinions expressed by others do not represent the opinions of the forum and most of the towers on the forum.

Do your research by reading the thousands of posts in this forum about this subject. Lots of good and reliable information here. Be prepared to not hear what you want to hear.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 07-02-2020, 06:41 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I CAN handle the truth because I know it; some however don't. The SAE test have many qualifiers which, as I have previously stated, drive right back to the numbers on the driver door.

The SAE number is derived by using particularly equipped trucks (hence the statement properly equipped) that consist of approx. 1/3 of the popular options on that model. Obviously this excludes 2/3 of those trucks.

The maximum combined gross tow rating from SAE J2807 is comprised of several components one of which is NOT exceeding the maximum payload of the truck which is on that placard. So now, that placard DOES mean something (hence the reason it is mandated and contains the phrases; must not exceed, shall not exceed etc.).

Now that we have determined that 2/3s of the vehicles under a J2807 spec probably won't meet it, what about the reasoning for complying with the weight ratings on the door? Here is a comment from an analysis of the spec:

"What's the big deal in how heavy a trailer is towed or what hitch is being used? A few things: liability in the event of an accident, vehicle control and occupant safety."

Again we find that exceeding those numbers could very well place one in a precarious legal situation.

Here's another comment:

"That's why today's tow ratings should not be taken lightly: They really are the limit the vehicle manufacturers have determined is the maximum that vehicle can safely tow and/or where additional equipment is necessary to tow the load.

Ignoring the vehicle manufacturer's towing requirements can affect the truck's warranty, and from a legal perspective, towing beyond the specified limits may place all the liability on the driver's shoulders in the event of an accident."

The above echo what every responsible poster on this forum has said. Note that "maximum" and "limit" mean just that - they aren't moving numbers as they will be when you load a truck to those numbers then take off on a trip - that is just irresponsible.

The second paragraph states "towing beyond the "specified limits". Those limits are found inside the driver door on every truck; numbers for THAT truck; you know, the one that has the 2/3 likelihood of NOT being like the one used for the J2087 test. Even then, towing at max numbers is discouraged by EVERY knowledgeable, responsible tower I know.

Just a short? comment on the SAE parameters and their meaning to a person towing a trailer. The SAE standard you quote actually refutes your comments and recommendations. So yes, I can handle the truth.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

For Danny (sorry, sometimes I can't help myself):

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Some folks just can't recognize the difference between CAN and SHOULD. Because you have a $50,000 credit limit does that mean you max it out? If you have a 12 oz. coffee cup do you fill it to the rim to hold the full 12 oz.? If you have tires with a speed rating of 112 m.p.h. do you get in, floor it until you reach 112 m.p.h. then set the cruise control?

If your refrigerator is 21 cubic feet capacity do you stuff it solid so every cubic inch is filled? If you are in the vast majority and don't do these things it demonstrates the possession and exercise of common sense. It's a shame not everyone posses that skill.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Ruff Ryder,

You're simply wrong as the day is long.

It's true, you can "legally tow up to the maximum trailer weight limit". BUT is is safe towing?

You MUST ALSO CONSIDER THE OTHER TOWING LIMITATIONS !!!

You can "legally tow up to the maximum payload"

You can "legally tow up to the maximum rear axle rating"

You can "legally tow up to the maximum GCWR"

The simple FACT is that according to the truck manufacturer, you MUST be below ALL of the above "maximum limits". I don't know of any "large fifth wheel" that can "safely or legally" fit all of the above "maximum limits" on any current model 3/4 ton truck. It's a known fact that many of the larger "half ton towable fifth wheels" will exceed one or more of the above "limitations" and a few will exceed EVERY one of the above limitations. Larger fifth wheels in the 35-40 foot range will not be a "safe trailer" for most 3/4 ton trucks....

IT'S NOT A PICK ONE AND YOU'RE OK EVENT. YOU MUST BE WITHIN THE LIMIT IN ALL CATEGORIES.

Please stop posting bad advice on the forum. While you may never know, your "arrogant advice that is simply wrong" may well be the reason someone becomes a widow/widower or kills a school bus full of children. Advice like yours will get people hurt much more than it helps you look like an authority on towing, something that all of the experienced "safe towers on this forum" recognize as soon as they see your profile name come up in a post.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #17
notanlines

After the trolling earlier, DW suggested we sell the F450 and settle for a little better fuel mileage. I've learned from other trollers that this TV requires no fossil fuel so as soon as the hitch is mounted and the air bags are installed I'll be out towing in YOUR neighborhood!

As required by that rascal pharmacist in KCMO I'm going to admit that this is pretty much all done 'tongue in cheek!'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	28402  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 07-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Thumbs up

Jim, you're good to go! There ain't no stinking sticker, heck there ain't even no doors to put a stink'in sticker!
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
After the trolling earlier, DW suggested we sell the F450 and settle for a little better fuel mileage. I've learned from other trollers that this TV requires no fossil fuel so as soon as the hitch is mounted and the air bags are installed I'll be out towing in YOUR neighborhood!

As required by that rascal pharmacist in KCMO I'm going to admit that this is pretty much all done 'tongue in cheek!'
As long as you don't exceed the max tow rating you're good to go!!! Or so I've heard!
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #20
Brantlyj

Regardless of tow rating and trailer weights and whatever else I’m carrying 3 pieces of priceless cargo. 4 if you count the wife but I guess it depends on the day and if she putting out or not.
If something happened because I just had to have whatever trailer that exceeded the ratings of my truck I wouldn’t be able to love with myself.

The fact that OP is asking before buying I think means he gets it and is just looking for guidance. It’s to bad this thread has turned into a dick measuring contest when we should be focusing in helping. ( I realized several people have and one jerk is talking out his ***)
Closed Thread

Tags
5th wheel, silverado