Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
Wawhoss

Outside speaker volume

I have a ‘15 Laredo fiver. My question is about outside speakers. Why is it that When I go from inside the camper to outside I have to turn the inside speakers off and then almost double the volume to hear the radio and or music outside. Are “outside speakers” known for that or did the factory miss match the speakers, thanks guys.

Wawhoss
Wawhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
Canonman

Short answer, No, they probably are not matched.
Longer answer. Our Cougar has 4 speakers in the living area so twice as much sound. Plus the area inside the coach is less than the great outdoors so it again will sound louder.
If I'm listening outside I like to make sure the sound doesn't escape much beyond our immediate outdoor space. Usually that's still a bit too loud if the DW is inside so I adjust for her comfort and just turn up my hearing aide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8153 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	27393  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

The speakers are not matched. We have two 6 1/2” ceiling speakers inside and the “attic” acts as a speaker box resonating and reflecting sound. The two outside speakers are 4” and are surface mounted in their own tiny enclosures, so there is no natural amplification like the inside ones. We have had the outside ones going at a comfortable and neighbor-friendly volume, and then switch to the inside speakers at the same volume and feel like we woke up the whole campground.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #4
travelin texans

IMHO RVs don't need/shouldn't have outside speakers nowadays (outdoor televisions also)! With todays radios with Bluetooth & earbuds there's no chance of imposing your taste in sports or music on anyone else that's sitting outside.
Not intended for anyone in particular, just my .02 cents!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Just chillin

I have a 19 premier, and it does the exact same thing. Cheap crap speakers on the inside and different cheap crap speakers on the outside.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Perfectly normal. Interior ceiling speakers in an enclosed space firing down at your head in a room full of hard surfaces VS speakers outside facing no obstacles with wind to "blow the soundwaves away" and ambient noise.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I just upgraded the interior speakers (the only ones I really care about). I have not tested them yet since my replacement Jensen A/V system won’t be here until tomorrow (awesome customer service at Jensen (Asa Electronics) by the way.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMHO RVs don't need/shouldn't have outside speakers nowadays (outdoor televisions also)! With todays radios with Bluetooth & earbuds there's no chance of imposing your taste in sports or music on anyone else that's sitting outside.
Not intended for anyone in particular, just my .02 cents!!

Yep, many ways to "hear" what "you" think you need to hear without imposing it on anyone else. The only time I've ever listened to an outside speaker was on a PDI; this one, I didn't even check them because I don't care - if I turn it up loud enough outside for me to hear sitting there, that guy next door is listening to it as well and I won't do that. Now many years ago when I exclusively boondocked in the middle of a NF (no campground) I would listen outside; now we don't. When I turn on the TV I actually go outside and walk around the trailer to make sure the sound is not "straying" (I do like my action movies a little loud....or so DW says)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Due to chronic pain as a result of 7 cervical spine and 6 shoulder/arm surgeries I often suffer sleepless nights. I use a set of headphones while watching television alone at night. The only time we've ever used the outside speakers is when we are in an isolated site or friends are camped on the curbside. I believe in respecting others while in proximity of their listening distance.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
Racing Randy

Speakers

My speakers suk also, how do you pair them? also only using outdoor when no one around or at loud Racetrack ….Thanks
Racing Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
Canonman

Randy, here's the problem. Even if the speakers are matched, the operating environment isn't. The inside speakers will always sound louder due to the confined space. You can install better speakers in the outside speaker housings and I'm sure the fidelity would be improved. But, they are still outside, rather small and would be competing with all the ambient outside noise anyway. If your speakers sound like crap a better speaker can help for sure.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Randy View Post
My speakers suk also, how do you pair them? also only using outdoor when no one around or at loud Racetrack ….Thanks
Randy what do you mean by "pair them"? Are you talking about Bluetooth pairing, choosing a replacement speaker, or do you men "phasing" the speakers?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Canonman

Good point Marshall. I figured Randy was talking about getting the same sound/volume from the outside speakers as the inside.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #14
B-O-B'03

We quit using the camper stereo after I got a nice Bluetooth speaker the kids recommended. We use it inside and outside for music. I think the only time the TV has been on is when we were camping in Palo Duro Canyon a few years ago and had picked up a couple of RedBox movies to watch, since it was raining.

I have an ever growing music collection that will not repeat before I die and it is copied to a thumb drive we use in the camper (as well as a 500G USB hard drive in the truck).

-Brian