Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
sandy43

Question for the hydraulic guys

For you hydraulic guru's, I'm trying to solve a problem that's totally got me stumped. My Alpine has been sitting for about 10 weeks on concrete. The front dropped about 1 1/2 inches. I noticed this morning it wasn't quite level. I have the tank marked with slides and jacks in and up. also when slides and jacks out and down. Tank shows good either way. I've checked all hose connections and anywhere else were a leak could occur. Nothing, all appears good. My question: what would make the front jacks retreat 1 1/2" ?
I'm also going to post this on the Alpine forum.
I would really like to solve this problem. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I'm no "guru" but you can have a fluid leak that isn't external. The hydraulic cylinder can leak pressure from one side of the piston to the other, or one of the valves could leak back into the fluid resivor. One other possibility is air in the system. Hydraulic fluid cannot compress but air can.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
gearhead

Mine does too. I changed hydraulic fluid last fall and still does it. I don't think I'm at 1 1/2" though. I'm not showing any leaks either. I would agree with what flybuoy says.
Do you hear an occasional pop or creak from the trailer? I do.
I just hit the auto level again.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Big 417

You guys are suffering from the infamous jack popping. Common problem. There's lots of stuff on Google ��. The cure that works for most is to replace your fluid with 1 jug or 2 of "fork oil" or something like caterpillar antistiction fluid. It's a hydraulic additive.

I need to do mine this season. Pops every once in a while and wakes up the wife lol
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
You guys are suffering from the infamous jack popping. Common problem. There's lots of stuff on Google ��. The cure that works for most is to replace your fluid with 1 jug or 2 of "fork oil" or something like caterpillar antistiction fluid. It's a hydraulic additive.

I need to do mine this season. Pops every once in a while and wakes up the wife lol
I added a quart of Torco motorcycle fork oil when I replaced my oil. Might should have added 2 quarts. I used Valvoline synthetic transmission fluid as a hydraulic fluid. My popping isn't bad enough to do anymore about it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
xrated

flybouy is most likely right on the head of the nail with his comments. Internal leakage that gets past a seal or piston and "vents" to the tank is not going to be seen externally....no visible signs. On a lot of these trailer systems, the is a common line for pressure to each cylinder and if one is leaking past and going back to the tank, since the lines are common to each other, both legs will move the same amount.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
travelin texans

Fluid temperatures also affect the popping/creaking & the level fluctuations.
LCI recommends exercising the jacks monthly if stored for extended periods, wipe & spray with silicone spray each time they are retracted.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
Big 417

I've heard some units need the set screw on the valve tightened down. Apperently some slip past the scrupulous quality control folks
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
LewisB

Add me to the list; over several weeks, my 6 point LCI Level-Up system will slowly drop the front rams. Not much, no "pops" or creaking, just barely noticeable. As already suggested, I put the Morryde steps up, then just auto-level again. No external leakage visible, so I just assume it is the front jacks valve leaking by very slowly. I have checked the valves (when I tested the manual emergency process) but have not tried a fluid change or additives.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #10
larryflew

Flybouy is right on. My Alpine has 5 new lefts out of 6 due to leak through. If you go to anyone go direct to customer service at Lippert for the way to test them.

Lippert didn't actually do anything other than suggestions for a year but finally send tech to where we where. He replaced fronts in Arizona (2nd time so new ones done by dealer in MN leaked through also) and 2 sides. This was February. Another of the same fronts going down problem in summer and they send a guy to replace in Minnesota.

Just to be clear ours is an add on system so we have 2 pumps and 2 tanks. Slide hydraulics and lift hydraulics are separate.