Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
WYRaptor

Wheel Bearings

Bearing repack and brake reline time. I found some discoloration that looks like corrosion on the axle/inner races. The rollers, cages and outer races look good with no scoring or pitting. Is this water contamination?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200419_094851159.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	26655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200419_094755450.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	26656  
WYRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
ChuckS

Looks like normal use to me Take some crocus cloth and clean off the spindle and dress up the brake shoes and hub contact surfaces for brakes and magnet.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
gearhead

I've seen a lot worse.
Try slipping just the bare bearings on the spindle to see if they feel super loose. The bearing should slip on the spindle easily but have no "wobble". It does look like some corrosion.
Like Chuck said use some crocus cloth to clean up the spindle. If you can't find crocus cloth use some fine sandpaper, at least 800 grit, and just use it to remove the stain and clean-up. It's easy to take too much off and loose the "fit". Hit that seal are on the spindle as well.
What kind of grease are you using?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Frank G

I see no upside in removing the stain on the axle or bearing. Use a quality lubricant and put it back together. If you are concerned with the "fit", measure with the proper devices and locate the proper clearance numbers in the bearing book. A machinist handbook will also work.

Those blue/black stains might be from case hardening of the bearing area of the axel in the manufacturing process.

Edit.
After closely looking at the photo's there does not appear to be any bearing spin on the axle. The dark spot on the bottom of the axle, inner bearing, may be corrosion or more likely a component in the previous lubricant separating under pressure and temperature, depositing on the axle.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
fjr vfr

How old are the bearings? When it comes to bearings, if there is any doubt just replace them. Bearing are about $22 a set at etrailer and you'll have peace of mind.
From experience I had bearings on one wheel go bad and it cost me and axle and more as well as several days broke down away from home. I thought my bearings looked good, but they were 9 years old and many miles.
Your bearing are most likely good though, but they don't last forever.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
WYRaptor

Thanks everyone! 8 years and about 20,000 miles. I have parts on order. I figured that excess heat would discolor the cage or rollers blue/gold. I repacked 4 years ago and don't remember the rust color. The grease wasn't black or runny and I used Mystik which was on the Dexter approved list.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:44 AM   #7
ChuckS

I didn’t see a thing wrong with either of those bearings and I’d imagine the races are fine too based on what the rollers look like..

I only use Red & Tacky grease on my trailer wheel bearings and wet bolts. It’s high temp and has good surface retention

Still running stock OEM Dexter bearings and races with 35K miles and 7 seasons of use.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I didn’t see a thing wrong with either of those bearings and I’d imagine the races are fine too based on what the rollers look like..

I only use Red & Tacky grease on my trailer wheel bearings and wet bolts. It’s high temp and has good surface retention

Still running stock OEM Dexter bearings and races with 35K miles and 7 seasons of use.

You know you're probably right, but then your judgement comes from seeing an internet picture of one set of bearings. Are you sure all his bearings are good? Did you take them in your hands and feel them for any roughness, etc? Do all the bearing surfaces look shinny and not dull?

They are most likely fine, but I wouldn't tell somebody that with just seeing an internet picture of one set from one angle. That's not enough for me to tell someone they're good to go. I think he needs someone experienced to look them over closely or as I suggested just replace them. They're not very expensive...just imho.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:23 AM   #9
ChuckS

It’s a pic the OP posted. And I really get tired of people quoting me as though what I offered as advice was wrong or flawed.

If the OP has the mechanical skill set to remove the bearing then he surely has the intelligence to determine whether the things are good or not..it doesn’t take someone experienced to make that decision. It takes common sense

And what makes a person a experienced. I’ve replaced more bearings and races over the last 55 years then you most likely ever will

And spending money on a “new” set of bearings doesn’t mean they will be anY better than the ones the OP is currently running.
New isn’t always better...and Timken bearings ain’t anY better than the 7 year old OEM bearings I’m running that we’re installed by Dexter...

The name of something these days means next to nothing.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:25 AM   #10
fjr vfr

Quote:
It’s a pic the OP posted. And I really get tired of people quoting me as though what I offered as advice was wrong or flawed.

First I didn't say you were wrong. I said several times you're probably right.

If the OP has the mechanical skill set to remove the bearing then he surely has the intelligence to determine whether the things are good or not..it doesn’t take someone experienced to make that decision. It takes common sense

This is the point, you're assuming he has the skill and knowledge. And yes experience does mater otherwise you wouldn't be boasting about yours.

And what makes a person a experienced. I’ve replaced more bearings and races over the last 55 years then you most likely ever will

And how do you know how many bearings and races I've replace over the past 55 year. Again you're assuming and bragging about you're experience.
And then in the paragraph above stating the op doesn't need any experience?

And spending money on a “new” set of bearings doesn’t mean they will be anY better than the ones the OP is currently running.
New isn’t always better...and Timken bearings ain’t anY better than the 7 year old OEM bearings I’m running that we’re installed by Dexter...

Again you're right. The new bearings may not be any better. It's like with any maintenance issue. Most people here replace their tires when they get old regardless how they look. My car's manual say to replace the spark plugs at 100k miles. When I pull the old plugs they hardly look worn, but I still replace them.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm only saying he needs to be comfortable with what he does, especially when it comes to safety. That's why I said if he has any doubts just replace them. Maybe like my spark plugs or tires they still look fine. Just peace of mind is all I'm saying.

You're right Peace

Stay Safe
Old 04-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #11
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

I don't think mileage has anything to do with the usefulness of a wheel bearing. It's all about keeping up with the maintenance.
My old Bronco has over 300K miles on the original wheel bearings, and they look perfect.
I do think it's a good idea to carry a complete spare greased hub assembly on board. Cheap insurance!
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #12
rodgebone

Frank G
Quote:
there does not appear to be any bearing spin on the axle
I completely agree. its hard to tell from a photo but bearings are cheap. if it were me id just replace them while its apart and have peace of mind. a very mild clean of the spindle with crocus cloth wouldnt hurt but you dont necessarily need to remove all the staining - just any rough spots if present
Old 04-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

What I've done in these type situations is to run my fingernail across the area. So on the spindle I'd run my fingernail from front to back across several places (like at 12 o'clock, 9, 6, and 1). If I feel any "ridge" or roughness then further action is warrenred. If it's smooth then just repack with grease and reassemble. Same ithe the inner race. Any discoloration on the rollers get's replaced.
YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
skmct

Quote:

\
This statement is miss leading. If you are buying the same class of bearing this is true. However there are 6 grades or classes of taper roller bearings.
Timken dose not make the two lower classes so if you buy timkens you know you are getting a class 3 or higher bearing. where as if you buy some low grade china POS you could be getting a much lower grade bearing.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote