Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
85yotapolo

265rl

just bought a 2011 in perfect condition 265RL

never had a fifth wheel before this is my first time towing one and owning one..
just bought a generator too for boondocking since that is what i want to do most time also got 2 batteries from costco.

my question are

1. best way to level fifthwheel
2. slide out= rain and snow??? can i use it in rain?? and snow?? if so what to look out for?
3.how to drain fresh water tank?
4. tv mount in room i see cable and power connections what about mounting anyone have ideas for fitting smaller tv

any boondocking mods??

oh and generator i just got in 2 days ago is a 3500 champion remote start
85yotapolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You level a 5th wheel like you would a bumper pull; left to right then back to front without auto level. Here is a quick that talks to that;

You can do it as the video suggests and over time you will know about how much height to put under one side or the other or go to an easier method. I used Andersen levelers which allows you raise the appropriate side and monitored it with a Level Mate Pro so that I could watch the level as I moved forward from inside the cab. SO much easier, quicker and accurate.

We use our slides in rain or snow. If they are in good shape (including the seals all the way around) you should be OK. Make sure your roof sealant is in good shape by inspecting it and repairing any cracks/pinholes.

Your fresh water tank will have a valve under the trailer in the area where your fresh water tank is (generally under the fill port). It will be a single water line extending under the belly of the trailer with a valve on it. If there are 2 side by side they are the low point drains for your water lines.

Never had or mounted a TV in the bedroom but those that were prepped for one as yours seems to be had a sticker that said to "mount it here". I have no doubt others have done it and will have much more input on how to do it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
85yotapolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You level a 5th wheel like you would a bumper pull; left to right then back to front without auto level. Here is a quick that talks to that;

You can do it as the video suggests and over time you will know about how much height to put under one side or the other or go to an easier method. I used Andersen levelers which allows you raise the appropriate side and monitored it with a Level Mate Pro so that I could watch the level as I moved forward from inside the cab. SO much easier, quicker and accurate.

ok awesome ill look up mate pro... i just got some amazon levels little sight glass.. has 3m tape on back and u put on sides

my idea was to hit empty parking lot and have fifthwheel level as possible and stick those levels on side. i watched youtube videos some people put a level on counter top or floor?? does it matter where its at?? can i just open door and put on floor?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
85yotapolo

Oh another question on the whole boondocking thing... when i had my truck camper i did nothing but that it was easy,
anyway
if i find a place to park and make camper level side to side can i open slide while attached to truck??? just for the night? or is it best to disconnect ??
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85yotapolo View Post
ok awesome ill look up mate pro... i just got some amazon levels little sight glass.. has 3m tape on back and u put on sides

my idea was to hit empty parking lot and have fifthwheel level as possible and stick those levels on side. i watched youtube videos some people put a level on counter top or floor?? does it matter where its at?? can i just open door and put on floor?

Whatever you use for "levels" you need to set the trailer up completely level (as best you can) before you install any sort of device to be used to later tell you what level is. Disconnect from the truck to do this.

Different folks use different methods for using a level. Some use 4' levels, some use 2' levels and some use smaller "stick" levels (or outside bubbles). Same goes for location; some use the floor, some use inside the fridge; I used the island counter top or floor. I determined that after I leveled (using both) and inside the fridge and found there wasn't enough difference to worry about. The floor would have been easiest but since DW was helping I stayed inside and used the counter top and told her when to stop the tongue jack.

As far as deploying the slides while connected to the truck the simple answer is yes. That said, if it were me, I would get it level side to side and as level as possible front to back. The slides are just suspended inside their opening and any large deviation left/right, front/back from level puts a lot of strain on them and the drive mechanisms.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
85yotapolo

ok i ordered tri-lynx blocks 2 sets of them and ordered trailer aid in case (blow out) seems easier getting tire up in air...

ok ok awesome so just make level as best side to side WHILE ON TRUCK and i can open slide its only when i travel and camp national park overnight. seems easier then disconnecting from truck..

what about rain and snow.. like to camp in those conditions a slide out is new to me.. does rain get in?? should i toss a tarp on top?? i heard in snow they can get frozen out?? i seen fifth wheel skirts homemade guessing to keep heat in? i would run heater is that good enough to keep pipes from freezing?
Old 04-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Canonman

Lots of good ideas already presented. Here is another thought. We used a square surface level placed inside the fridge. The fridge operates best when level. Hopefully it's level inside the trailer. Ours was
https://www.storeseven.com/americanh...nhplastic.aspx.
We used this to establish level side to side and front to back, then installed the small bubble levels on the outside of the Cougar.
We like using the drive on "Tri Leveler https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Tri-Lev.../dp/B000BUQOFO once we know which side to raise. Since I can see the side to side bubble level in the mirror I simply drive or back onto the tri-leveler until the bubble reads level or close to it. Saves guessing how many blocks to use.
At this point I lower the landing gear, chock the wheels and disconnect from the truck. Using the front landing gear, you can now level front to back.
It's always considered best practice to level the trailer before extending the slides.
We use our Cougar in all weather conditions with no problems. One thing to watch for is make sure the top of any slides are clean before retracting. Snow, ice or any debris can damage the top wiper and seal when the slide is retracted.
FW drain under the trailer should be obvious. Be sure to sanitize the FW tank and system prior to using it for the first time. We sanitize ours every spring prior to our first trip. Here's a good instructional video
Welcome and Happy Trails!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6263.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	26625  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
85yotapolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Lots of good ideas already presented. Here is another thought. We used a square surface level placed inside the fridge. The fridge operates best when level. Hopefully it's level inside the trailer. Ours was
https://www.storeseven.com/americanh...nhplastic.aspx.
We used this to establish level side to side and front to back, then installed the small bubble levels on the outside of the Cougar.
We like using the drive on "Tri Leveler https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Tri-Lev.../dp/B000BUQOFO once we know which side to raise. Since I can see the side to side bubble level in the mirror I simply drive or back onto the tri-leveler until the bubble reads level or close to it. Saves guessing how many blocks to use.
At this point I lower the landing gear, chock the wheels and disconnect from the truck. Using the front landing gear, you can now level front to back.
It's always considered best practice to level the trailer before extending the slides.
We use our Cougar in all weather conditions with no problems. One thing to watch for is make sure the top of any slides are clean before retracting. Snow, ice or any debris can damage the top wiper and seal when the slide is retracted.
FW drain under the trailer should be obvious. Be sure to sanitize the FW tank and system prior to using it for the first time. We sanitize ours every spring prior to our first trip. Here's a good instructional video
Welcome and Happy Trails!!

awesome ok ill give that a go my day off cleaning the water supply..
Old 04-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
85yotapolo

anyone here use those awning slides?? that cover?? looks like it will help camping in snow and rain
Old 04-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
85yotapolo

Pics of setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200403_134608132_HDR.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	26628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_140756500_HDR.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	26629  
Old 04-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
85yotapolo

for snow camping do anyone add heaters to the storage area?? so things dont freeze up??
Old 04-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #13
Canonman

We've not found any reason to heat the cargo/storage areas in our Cougar. What do you plan to store there that might freeze??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_7982.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	26632  
Old 04-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
85yotapolo

Quote:
We've not found any reason to heat the cargo/storage areas in our Cougar. What do you plan to store there that might freeze??
Just wondering,, thought maybe pipes or something run through there.. what about those awning slides?? so having the slide open during rain is fine or snow?? just make sure to dry it off or make sure nothing on top before closing it?
Old 04-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
85yotapolo

do anyone have PICS of a bumper hitch on back?? im tempted to add a hitch right now it has a small one but cutting that off and adding a 2 inch and add some gussets?? my son and me both have dirt bikes his bike is about 165 pound anyone have pics of hitches they added?
Old 04-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
Canonman

No pipes under ours except for the toilet to the black tank. No slide awnings for us. Water on the slide top shouldn't be a problem as there is a wiper on all 4 sides that removes most water as the slide is retracted.
If you plan to carry anything on the back of your Laredo make sure you use a frame mounted receiver hitch. DO NOT!!! use a bumper mounted receiver. Find a good welder/fabricator and have the receiver installed correctly. Many threads here to review regarding receiver hitches. Two bikes (300#??) on the back of the trailer might be a problem with weight distribution. You might want to think about a small motorcycle trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_5642.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	26633  
Old 04-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
85yotapolo

Quote:
No pipes under ours except for the toilet to the black tank. No slide awnings for us. Water on the slide top shouldn't be a problem as there is a wiper on all 4 sides that removes most water as the slide is retracted.
If you plan to carry anything on the back of your Laredo make sure you use a frame mounted receiver hitch. DO NOT!!! use a bumper mounted receiver. Find a good welder/fabricator and have the receiver installed correctly. Many threads here to review regarding receiver hitches. Two bikes (300#??) on the back of the trailer might be a problem with weight distribution. You might want to think about a small motorcycle trailer.

thanks for answering all my Noob questions... my 12v cummins has a front hitch i would put my bike infront truck and my sons behind laredo..
i know how to fab and weld anyone have pics to reference off of??
Old 04-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #18
fjr vfr

I have the same trailer. The fw drain is over the rear axle on the door side. You can reach it from in back of the rear wheel.

Your storage area is heated. The plumbing is in back of the rear wall in the storage compartment. There is also a flexible heater duct that runs down between the black and gray tanks. In freezing weather I also keep my HW tank on...that's the last thing you want to freeze. Your trailer is a 3 season unit. It does not have tank heaters or thermopane windows. It will easily endure freezing night time temps...no problem. It's not made for extended periods of below freezing temps.
If you are referring to your bedroom tv, then what I did was move the 28" tv from the living area and it just squeezes in the space on the cabinet. I screwed down an eye hook in the rear and a second small one under the counter lip and over the door. When traveling I attach a small rok-strap and loop it over the tv. You doen't need to make it very tight in order to keep the tv in place. In the living area I installed a 32" tv. It doesn't fit into the hole made for it, but so what. I put a couple little pads on the corners of the tv where they contact the cabinet so they don't wear the woodwork when strapped in place and traveling.
I got my trailer as level as I could and then added one of those big levels on the pin box that I can see while backing .
The slide roofing is the same material as the roof and will endure anything the roof will. As someone said earlier just make sure you don't have a lot of debris up there when you run it in.
For boon docking 4 100 watt solar panels and two batteries work pretty good. I have a 2000 watt Honda generator as back up, but seldom need it. I try and not stay anywhere were it's to hot so as to need running the AC. After all the goal is to stay in the sweet spot weather wise.

Good luck...you have a nice trailer
Stay Safe
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #19
85yotapolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I have the same trailer. The fw drain is over the rear axle on the door side. You can reach it from in back of the rear wheel.

Your storage area is heated. The plumbing is in back of the rear wall in the storage compartment. There is also a flexible heater duct that runs down between the black and gray tanks. In freezing weather I also keep my HW tank on...that's the last thing you want to freeze. Your trailer is a 3 season unit. It does not have tank heaters or thermopane windows. It will easily endure freezing night time temps...no problem. It's not made for extended periods of below freezing temps.
If you are referring to your bedroom tv, then what I did was move the 28" tv from the living area and it just squeezes in the space on the cabinet. I screwed down an eye hook in the rear and a second small one under the counter lip and over the door. When traveling I attach a small rok-strap and loop it over the tv. You doen't need to make it very tight in order to keep the tv in place. In the living area I installed a 32" tv. It doesn't fit into the hole made for it, but so what. I put a couple little pads on the corners of the tv where they contact the cabinet so they don't wear the woodwork when strapped in place and traveling.
I got my trailer as level as I could and then added one of those big levels on the pin box that I can see while backing .
The slide roofing is the same material as the roof and will endure anything the roof will. As someone said earlier just make sure you don't have a lot of debris up there when you run it in.
For boon docking 4 100 watt solar panels and two batteries work pretty good. I have a 2000 watt Honda generator as back up, but seldom need it. I try and not stay anywhere were it's to hot so as to need running the AC. After all the goal is to stay in the sweet spot weather wise.

Good luck...you have a nice trailer
Stay Safe

Awesome thanks for the info

Ok cool I'll look for drain plug.. I was thinking of mounting tv on wall, i ordered a super Sonic tv 24 to fit on the cabinet area
Old 04-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #20
Canonman

Here is a DIY hitch that looks pretty good:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html
Price seems quite reasonable too